The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Kötbullar accompaniment: chips, mash or boiled?

Is Ikea letting the side down?

mikewhite
post 11.Apr.2012, 11:49 PM
Post #1

Ok, not a very exciting subject but I no longer have access to pukka Swedish opinions !

A trip to a UK Ikea at the weekend had me disappointed that one no longer could have boiled potatoes with the meatballs (without paying extra).
What is the Swedish custom in this matter ?
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 12.Apr.2012, 12:05 AM
Post #2

IMHO

It's gotta be boiled!!!
+
chazza
post 12.Apr.2012, 12:34 AM
Post #3

Yes. Boiled it is
+
mikewhite
post 12.Apr.2012, 07:03 AM
Post #4

There you have it, Ingvar - the conclusion of our comprehensively researched survey is that you are bang out of order !!
+
entry
post 12.Apr.2012, 07:13 AM
Post #5

Nope. I like my Swedish meatballs with a side of Janssons frästelse. I have never eaten at an IKEA, but I do remember visiting my mother and she would have bags of frozen Swedish meatballs from IKEA. I don't know what my mother did at IKEA. My dad didn't throw anything out when she passed and there is not a single item in their place that I can attribute to IKEA.
+
Hamsterdam
post 12.Apr.2012, 07:43 AM
Post #6

Boiled or mash are equally acceptable but it just goes to prove, never trust a Dutch company to keep up Sweden's traditions. tongue.gif

And the best thing about IKEA is that you know it is where all the trash families hang out, so it is easy to avoid them biggrin.gif
+
teslar
post 12.Apr.2012, 08:24 AM
Post #7

Nice soft creamy fluffy mash for me smile.gif
+
entry
post 12.Apr.2012, 08:43 AM
Post #8

Kind of have a taste for Swedish meatballs after reviewing this thread. I cannot have them with Janssons frästelse today as I still have a lot of garlic mash in the fridge. I like mine lumpy with cheese and cream sauce. Brown gravy on the meatballs. Hmmmm... it will be lunch time soon. smile.gif
+
Puffin
post 12.Apr.2012, 08:51 AM
Post #9

Chips? a heresy should be reported to Kammarkollegiet at once!!! Chips are more of an imported tradition - for example in schools my 16 year old daughter has had chips once in 15 years (as a special treat)

Only boiled to keep with tradition - unless they whip you up a nice stuvade makaroni (pasta in cream sauce) which is also a tradition in some parts
+
jan.petras
post 12.Apr.2012, 09:45 AM
Post #10

I eat them with potatis salad from willy's or with a salada. no potatoes.
+
entry
post 12.Apr.2012, 09:52 AM
Post #11

Can't really say I like the Willys potato salad, much prefer to make my own with mayo or German style with vinegar, but I can deal with the rödbetssallad(beet salad) sold at Willys although it is a little creamy for me.
+
AW1
post 12.Apr.2012, 01:50 PM
Post #12

Mash or boiled. Never ever fries or chips.
And the meatballs served in IKEA stores in the UK(and probably every other country) are rubbish.
Make your own with cream sauce, lingonberry jam and cucumber salad.

@Hamsterdam: Don't blame the Dutch. The companies controlling IKEA are registered in Holland and Lichtenstein (for tax reasons), but are actually controlled by the Kamprad family. So blame the Swedes biggrin.gif
+
Ambre
post 12.Apr.2012, 02:06 PM
Post #13

I like meatballs with spaghetti in garlic-basil-tomato sauce like marinara style or pizzaiola style, home made tomato sauce of course, not the shit you buy in a jar...
+
johnjohn
post 12.Apr.2012, 03:21 PM
Post #14

Dear Ambre, It is now quite clear that your road to integration into Swediish society will be a bumpy one. smile.gif
+
byke
post 12.Apr.2012, 03:44 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (mikewhite @ 12.Apr.2012, 12:49 AM) *
Ok, not a very exciting subject but I no longer have access to pukka Swedish opinions !A trip to a UK Ikea at the weekend had me disappointed that one no longer could have ... (show full quote)

I think this says a lot about what goes into Swedish meatballs and their value when potatoes are seen as a high cost or luxury if to include them with a Swedish meatball.

So Nordic.
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: