The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

Local question for members

Regarding your background or nationality

Miss Kitten
post 11.Aug.2012, 04:53 PM
Post #31

West Coast American girl, been living in Sweden for 6+ years.

I do feel that where I'm from makes up a big part of who I am, as do all the other places I've been and lived. The experiences gained in those places and the memories they've created have made (and are still making) me who I am.
Go to the top of the page
+
klubbnika
post 11.Aug.2012, 07:05 PM
Post #32

LOL!

As expected, the majority are economical refugees from the UK.

I am an economical refugee from Sweden in the UK myself, living party in Germany though. wink.gif
+
Kitale
post 11.Aug.2012, 08:05 PM
Post #33

Irish (Belfast),
Pro Sweden and becoming more Swedified all the time. Great place to live.
+
SOIS.COM
post 11.Aug.2012, 09:27 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 11.Aug.2012, 03:25 AM) *
"Citizen of the world" means you are either ashamed of who you are, or have not the courage to declare what you are.. We are NOT simpletons! angry.gif

Personally, I believe the absolute truths rest in the natural sciences. Man's law is a mere lie in comparison. For people who live in the here and now cultural identity can be a big deal but in most societies its contrived, artificial, dare I say forced. When asked the question "Where are you from?" I say "Earth" as I do beleive the people who will solve the riddles and challenges humanity is facing will need to think in completely different ways then they do now including how they identify their relationship with this planet.
+
klubbnika
post 12.Aug.2012, 06:20 AM
Post #35

Well said.
+
skogsbo
post 12.Aug.2012, 06:35 AM
Post #36

QUOTE (klubbnika @ 11.Aug.2012, 06:05 PM) *
As expected, the majority are economical refugees from the UK.

I think most UK people are love refugees, not economic.

QUOTE (SOIS.COM @ 11.Aug.2012, 08:27 PM) *
Personally, I believe the absolute truths rest in the natural sciences. Man's law is a mere lie in comparison. For people who live in the here and now cultural identity ca ... (show full quote)

How people do you know not from Earth? Once we know people who live on other planets, perhaps then we need some interstellar designation? Perhaps for now you could humour us and tell us what your passport and your current address is? wink.gif

Until then perhaps something more human and friendly, less aloof? In a few 100years we will all be pretty much mixed, global travel and work will see to that. There will still be small outpost where people just haven't mixed/interbred, but these are likely to be very rare. Even then though, people will struggle to overcome the natural instinct stemming from being tribal people for previous few million years. It's this instinct that almost certainly guaranteed our human development. Man the lone hunter wouldn't have done so well against sabre tooth tigers or mammoths!
+
gplusa
post 12.Aug.2012, 08:05 AM
Post #37

Stupid gaming playing, yet again. Obvious to 99% on the people on this site that the OP was asking about which country you came to Sweden from (which for 99% of the replies is the country they were born in), or your country of birth and/or residence. If you can't figure that one out then... well.
+
nickoledlaird
post 12.Aug.2012, 08:40 AM
Post #38

California girl living in Västerås with sambo.
+
Aussie Sven
post 12.Aug.2012, 09:57 AM
Post #39

Australian, from Melbourne. Live in Lysekil. Not Swedens greatest fan, but I don't hate the place.
+
klubbnika
post 12.Aug.2012, 10:15 AM
Post #40

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 12.Aug.2012, 06:35 AM) *
I think most UK people are love refugees, not economic.

Really? So why not live in the UK with you Swedish partner instead of moving to Sweden?

Edit: I don't blame you though. If it wasn't the money, I wouldnt live there myself. wink.gif
+
skogsbo
post 12.Aug.2012, 10:47 AM
Post #41

I was in a contracted government job, I could have had guaranteed employment until age 55, but left at 40yrs old instead, with an immediate pension smile.gif Gives me chance for a career change, or more of a reversion back to what I did work wise whilst at school and college, so quite fun. Financially I was fool to leave though!

Better for the kids too, as they were approaching the age they would have start in UK primary schools. Not to mention apart from climbing and caving, my favourite sports are orienteering, skiing, kayaking etc.. kind of fits the mold that is Sweden?

Overall, it was part of out long term plan, as we have been together for 10plus years, so we hardly rushed our move to Sweden last year.
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 12.Aug.2012, 11:25 AM
Post #42

I'm not a Brit, I'm a scouser.

<puffs up shell-suit with pride>
+
SimonDMontfort
post 12.Aug.2012, 12:36 PM
Post #43

I’m a British citizen – and was a UK ‘company man’ for many years until I was medically retired in 2007. I served ‘placements’ in Germany and the US (livng there for a time) – before meeting my Swedish partner and becoming resident in Sweden.

I don’t see myself as an ‘economic migrant’ either: otherwise I should have stayed in either Germany or the US blink.gif
+
Peter Thomas
post 12.Aug.2012, 12:47 PM
Post #44

English/British. From Suffolk via Newcastle/Durham, Northampton and then Canada. Married to a Swede living in Blekinge.
+
klubbnika
post 12.Aug.2012, 02:25 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (SimonDMontfort @ 12.Aug.2012, 12:36 PM) *
I’m a British citizen – and was a UK ‘company man’ for many years until I was medically retired in 2007. I served ‘placements’ in Germany and the US (livng there f ... (show full quote)

So what made you voluntarily worsen your economical situtation by coming to Sweden?
+

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: