The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Adoption by Swedish Mother without Uk Fathers cons

Advice needed

Sammi71
post 9.Aug.2019, 07:13 PM
Post #1

We’ve just heard from my partners ex, she lives in Stockholm with his son. He lives in UK. She has started adoption proceedings so her new partner can adopt their 2 yr old son. My partner does not agree to this and has not been asked if he gives consent. He had a dna test done in December of last year that confirmed paternity. She has continually refused to tell him where they are living or give my partner any updates on his sons health or send pictures. She has allowed him to visit once and see his son for 1 hour. They were never married and she has stated that her and her new partner aren’t married but are living together.
My question is can she go through with the adoption even without my partners consent ?
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 9.Aug.2019, 09:23 PM
Post #2

Your partner certainly has paternal rights other than to consent/dissent to an adoption..What about visitation, etc..???

Your help and answers can only be obtained from a Lawyer not from here...

Good luck...
+
skogsbo
post 10.Aug.2019, 07:12 AM
Post #3

When the child was born did he register himself as the parent with the Swedish state?

Note. Parent and guardian are different positions, you can be both or one or the other in sweden. If he was or is registered as parent and guardian when they were together then his signature would be required on all paperwork, adoption by another is not possible etc. As guardian both need to sign any paper work school, nursery; passport application and so on. You can be registered as father but not the guardian if you have no involvement in child's life.

Is he registered and paying any form of maintenance?

Personally as his current partner, I'd try not to get too embroiled in it all. I appreciate you are there to support etc but don't get drawn in. It might not help your current relationship and you aren't likely to know the full story of previous goings on, if it turns out he was a bit a t*at and that's why she cut all ties.
+
Sammi71
post 10.Aug.2019, 03:33 PM
Post #4

He signed paperwork at the Swedish Embassy in London after the DNA test this year to have his name added to the birth certificate as she had registered the father as the man who she thought was the father. The man she cheated on with whilst engaged to my partner. He isn’t paying maintenance as she said he would hear from the embassy again about it, we have heard nothing from them since February when they said they were arranging the paperwork
+
Sammi71
post 10.Aug.2019, 03:38 PM
Post #5

To add, we live in the UK they are in Stockholm. We had to find out his son had been born through social media. We were friends whilst all they were together so I know exactly how he acted within the relationship
+
skogsbo
post 10.Aug.2019, 07:30 PM
Post #6

So it's likely in the eyes of the Swedish state he is the father but not the guardian. An absent father who is not contributing to the child's upbringing. Yes I know he intends to, but a court will only consider the current facts. Your guy wasn't even in sweden when it was born, new guy might have been at the birth.

With some legal representation he might be able to argue that because his ex hasn't been with her new partner that long they should not adopt. But as time passes thus argument weakens.

It's a tough one. Swedish courts will always consider what is best and most stable for a child long term. Not the parents.
+
Sammi71
post 10.Aug.2019, 08:06 PM
Post #7

Yes the new guy was at the birth because his ex wouldn’t recognise the fact that my partner was the father. Her new partner secretly did a dna test when the child was 6 months old and that is when he found out the child wasn’t his as he had been lead to believe. They split up at this point. As far as we have been told they have been back together since February
+
skogsbo
post 10.Aug.2019, 08:32 PM
Post #8

I suspect he could spend a lot of money on legal fees and get no where.

He will always be the father and perhaps through a solicitor he should reach an agreement with the mother that he won't contest adoption, and be allowed to stay in touch, birthday presents, pay maintenance and so on. Then when the child is older if they wish greater involvement with their biological dad that's the childs choice. I don't think there is such a thing as winning in this kind of case.
+
Sammi71
post 10.Aug.2019, 08:51 PM
Post #9

Thank you for the information it has given him a lot to think about
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: