The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Sued for smoking outdoors

Streja
post 9.Mar.2007, 01:39 PM
Post #16

They also said pubs and restaurants will lose money because of a smoking ban...quite the opposite to states and countries where this has been introduced!

I mean I saw lots of people enjoying a good night out in California clubs...
Go to the top of the page
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 9.Mar.2007, 01:41 PM
Post #17

I just know that people drink less when their on the pubs, and the smokers usually go out, ar are able to sit on a porch to have their sigarett. They also increased the bar prices...
+
Streja
post 9.Mar.2007, 01:43 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
So they can satisfy their desire to feel self-righteous and to whine. Possibly also because non-smokers have some kind of genetic impulse to flap their hands around and feign coughing fits, although there has been little scientific investigation into this phenomenon.

There are people with asthma though. I usually get a cough if I'm in a smoky environment for hours...

I don't like getting smoke in my face usually but it rarely does anything to me if I'm outdoors.
+
wellygirl
post 9.Mar.2007, 01:50 PM
Post #19

maybe this lawyer dude is just such a terrible lawyer that no-one will hire him or there's nothing happening in Åkarp so he has to pick a fight for something to do with all his non lawyering time...

(haha that's a new word for ya streja)
+
Sir Wobbly Camel
post 9.Mar.2007, 01:52 PM
Post #20

You're not going to believe this... I have the same problems with my neighbours, but it is in regard to bbq smoke - I cannot f'n believe it!
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 9.Mar.2007, 01:56 PM
Post #21

Cnuts. I was talking to some Swedes about rules in apartment blocks and the general consensus was that people here accept a certain level of disturbance (noise etc.) because you have to if you live with a lot of other, unconnected people. E.g. I don't whine about noisy kids playing outside and they don't whine if I come home at 3am and cause a loud crashing noise when I fall over. Mostly it seems to work fine, but the odd exception comes along and makes you realise that some people were probably born arseholes.
+
Luke_j
post 9.Mar.2007, 02:28 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (wellygirl)
...but then again shouldn't somone be able to smoke on their own property?

Yes.. if they can guarantee that the smoke stay within their property.
+
chudd
post 9.Mar.2007, 02:33 PM
Post #23

We have downstairs neighbours who smoke like a chimney. During the summer we have to sleep with the windows closed since they enjoy their habit in the luxury of the open and (previously) fresh air and their smoke comes straight in through our bedroom window. Ironically they frequently open their back door to air the flat a bit and we have to batten down the hatches again to avoid the disgusting old-ashtray stench. So this "but she's smoking outside" attitude is bollox. The smoke can still be offensive enough if the houses are close together.

The difference in our case is that we are on friendly terms with the neighbours downstairs which makes putting up with their habit a bit easier. Similarly it makes it easier for them to put up with the earth sundering racket of our 2 kids having a mad half hour directly over their heads. It's give and take on both sides.

Point is, the lawyer doesn't have to be a stark-raving control-freaking, anti-smoking maniac just because he got narky about it. And I doubt very much that the neighbour is as mousey a victim as she appears. I reckon there's been more spatting going on between these two than just the issue of cigarette smoke.
+
wellygirl
post 9.Mar.2007, 02:40 PM
Post #24

this article reminds me of childplay...

did you ever do that thing where you really want to annoy someone but tickling is not allowed... so you wave your hands about manickly infront of their face while shouting "the air is free, the air is free!"

Technically they can't do anything to stop you if "the air is free"

But eventually it gets too annoying to cope with and someone gets a black eye or something...

8)
+
Puffin
post 9.Mar.2007, 02:44 PM
Post #25

There was a case in Falun where someone managed to get their neighbour's bird feeders banned.
+
Coalbanks
post 11.Mar.2007, 04:08 AM
Post #26

Wellygirl: The truckers pay taxes, taxes pay for your health care so they do not owe you for thier pollution. Hmm? Smokers pay taxes on tobacco...?

If your neighbour burns garbage & the odour & smoke are offensive to you, the neighbour can be told to stop burning and/or be fined. Same case here? :wink:
+
Raffs
post 11.Mar.2007, 07:14 AM
Post #27

QUOTE (Rellstar)
Well I for one thinks its a good thing. If people want to poison themselves and stink of smoke they should do it in their own homes (excluding the garden) and nowhere else.

Do you drive a car or use public transport. if so you're polluting the air :roll:
+
FR
post 11.Mar.2007, 12:02 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
For the love of God. If she stands right outside his window then I can see his point, but standing outdoors where its full of air and smoke disappears? .

That was the situation in my case. Just as noise should not penetrate a neighbor's space, neither should odor or other such things.
+
wellygirl
post 11.Mar.2007, 12:10 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Coalbanks)
Wellygirl: The truckers pay taxes, taxes pay for your health care so they do not owe you for thier pollution. Hmm? Smokers pay taxes on tobacco...?

If your neighbour burns garbage & the odour & smoke are offensive to you, the neighbour can be told to stop burning and/or be fined. Same case here? :wink:

Yeah, I wasn't seriously thinking of actually doing anything about the truckers going past my window... at the moment it's only actually sunny once a month so I hardly ever open up my window.

Maybe the laywer guy in this story should just take up smoking as well? If ya can't beat 'em then join 'em right?

That's why I started smoking in London...

But why can't he just simply close his window while the offensive cigarette is being smoked... the average time to smoke a ciggy is what? 7 minutes?
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 11.Mar.2007, 04:05 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (Puffin)
There was a case in Falun where someone managed to get their neighbour's bird feeders banned.

Sweden has becomed a strange an odd countries the last 2 decades... Why??
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: