The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

Brand new personnummer and creditworthiness info

I was rejected for a cell phone service, but why?

Khabibul35
post 31.Aug.2009, 11:34 PM
Post #1

Just got my personnummer so I've been binging on activities that I needed it for but could do it with.

Today, I signed up for a bank account, registered with arbetsfermenlingen, made a doctors appointment, but when I tried to sign up for cell phone service with Glocalnet, I got this message:

----------------
Tyvärr gick inte kreditkontrollen igenom.
Om du har några frågor kan du kontakta kundservice:
Tel: 0775-757575
Kontakta kundservice »

Translated (via systranet as):
Unfortunately, the credit control did not go through.
If you have some questions can you to contact customer service:
Tel.: 0775-757575
Contact customer service”

-----------------

I knew that a personnummer in addition to being an ID verification system must have had some sort of creditworthyness tied to it, but I didn't think it was like the USA, where you could reject a person simply for not having credit history.

Does anyone know exactly what kind of creditworthiness information is stored in your personnummer? Is it like a credit score? Do you have strikes against you? How does it work exactly?

And how do you become creditworthy? Do I have to get a job? Do I have to build up a history of paying my bill on time with other companies?

I know the US system inside out now, but it's hard to figure it out when I don't speak Swedish, so I'd like to see what we as expats can piece together to help each other out.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
DamnImmigrant
post 1.Sep.2009, 02:37 AM
Post #2

As far as I have seen, the only thing you can do here is to LOOSE your credit with bad reports from creditors. Otherwise there is no credit scoring system here. It is like you are born with credit which does not change UNLESS you screw up and piss off some creditors!

NO CREDIT SCORING!!!! Welcome to paradise!!!!

Did you call them to find out what happened?
+
Khabibul35
post 1.Sep.2009, 02:42 AM
Post #3

When I tried to call I got stuck in a loop where it just kept asking numbers... when i pushed one, it would ask for more numbers, when I didn't push any number, it just kept repeating the message. After two minutes in this loop I decided to try to email them, so far no reply yet.
+
DidiE
post 1.Sep.2009, 06:02 AM
Post #4

Most cell phone companies here require that you have lived in Sweden a year WITH a personnummer before they are willing to extend you credit. It does not mean you don't have good credit, it just means you haven't lived here long enough. Get a pay as you go plan while you wait.
+
Craptastical
post 1.Sep.2009, 07:01 AM
Post #5

It's up to a year now? Wow.

I had the same problem with mobile companies when I moved here, but back then they said to establish credit you have to be here for 9 months. (it was 3 that told me this). Something to note though... Tele2 happily signed me up for a contract without a hitch after only being here 3 months. It is possible that they tightened down on this since then.

I was also told that the wait period is for anyone that just arrived/returned to Sweden from residing abroad, so it's not limited to us damn dirty blood sucking immigrants.
+
Luckystrike
post 1.Sep.2009, 07:41 AM
Post #6

These mobile phone companies and most of all other credit issuing companies like banks or store cards, will run a credit check with one of a few Swedish credit agencies. The two main things they look for is your total earned income from the previous year, if this is low or in your case non-existent at this time, you will not get any credit, maybe not from a mobile company, but certainly for most other purchases. Then secondly they look for black marks in the record. They will even take into account how many times you have applied for credit, if you have over 20, for example in a year, you may be denied further credit for the next year despite your income...

So, there is no credit scoring system, but it does not matter, companies are just as "tight" and strict about who they give credit too. Good luck!
+
Craptastical
post 1.Sep.2009, 08:24 AM
Post #7

This conversation reminds me... I was told by a loan drone at Swedebank in 2007 that there is a push to a credit score/point system like there is in the US. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
+
Khabibul35
post 1.Sep.2009, 05:05 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Luckystrike @ 1.Sep.2009, 08:41 AM) *
These mobile phone companies and most of all other credit issuing companies like banks or store cards, will run a credit check with one of a few Swedish credit agencies. The t ... (show full quote)

So does that mean every time I try to sign-up for something and get rejected mean that it's going to be held against me. If so, that's a problem as I've went to Phone House, applied for a Glocalnet abonnemang and a Tele2 abonnemang all within the last 2 days. None of them gave me anything, just rejected me. Does that mean when I try to sign-up next time I'll be more likely to get rejected again than if I never applied at all?
+
Johno
post 1.Sep.2009, 05:09 PM
Post #9

+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 1.Sep.2009, 07:40 PM
Post #10

Your credit score is determined by your taxed income + current debt + missed payments. No taxed income = no creditworthiness.
+
Furu
post 2.Sep.2009, 12:04 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Khabibul35 @ 1.Sep.2009, 12:34 AM) *
Just got my personnummer so I've been binging on activities that I needed it for but could do it with.Today, I signed up for a bank account, registered with arbetsfermenli ... (show full quote)

Until last year TRE will give you a contract after you have lived 7 months and TELIA after you have lived 9 months in Sweden.

You can call any of the phone companies and ask customer service this question.
+
Baned
post 2.Sep.2009, 12:46 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Johno @ 1.Sep.2009, 06:09 PM) *

holy crap! name, date of birth, and marital status just by doing a basic search! blink.gif
Thanks for the link!
+
Khabibul35
post 2.Sep.2009, 01:15 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 1.Sep.2009, 08:40 PM) *
Your credit score is determined by your taxed income + current debt + missed payments. No taxed income = no creditworthiness.

But luckystrike just said that how many time you apply for credit (as in even if you don't assume any debt from it) hurts your score. What you state implies that it's not true...

Does anyone know whether submitting a lot of application hurt your score? Well, not a crazy amount, but 4 or 5 in one day?
+
Luckystrike
post 2.Sep.2009, 07:46 AM
Post #14

Again, it's not a score smile.gif Every time you submit a credit application for anything (Again, not sure about mobile companies), it gets logged with the credit agencies. You will get a copy of your credit record after each application! What you will see is the date you applied for credit, how much the credit you asked for was and whether it was granted or not. Referred to (In English) as "Credit Questions"

To answer your original question, your personnummer hold Zero creditworthiness. If you are earning now, you will have to wait till next year June-ish when your taxed income is updated for the previous year. Then, depending on how much you earned for that year will determine your creditworthiness, and of course, "credit questions" (Which take two years to clear off your record) and if you have any "Black" marks.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: