The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Views on responsibility

in regards to parenting

byke
post 14.Oct.2010, 10:29 PM
Post #1

Just out of interest, whats your view regarding couples in sweden having children that are not fully able to look after the children themselves ? (handicapped, mental retardation etc)

should they be able to procreate and sometimes even be helped ?
Or should the state step in and remove such possibilities ?
Go to the top of the page
+
swozzie
post 14.Oct.2010, 11:01 PM
Post #2

The question is as clear as mud
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 15.Oct.2010, 12:19 AM
Post #3

Anyone for Eugenics? rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
+
Puffin
post 15.Oct.2010, 06:57 AM
Post #4

Are you advocating a return to forced sterilisation?

Do you mean that someone who ends up in a wheelchair following a skiing accident is an unfit parent?

Not sure where you are going with this thread
+
byke
post 15.Oct.2010, 07:32 AM
Post #5

Firstly I am not advocating anything ... more so playing devils advocate.
My original idea was to get peoples views, regarding what role the state should play (if any) regarding the breeding of adults with severe learning difficulties or mental disabilities.

As society has changed over the modern years many adults with issues are usually grouped in community care homes which in turn allows them to be monitored and cared for by the state as a group (such as those with down syndrome etc). However, as a collective this can lead to relationships being formed by such adults who are unable to care for themselves and could fall pregnant.

If an adult cannot take care of themselves, my question was at what point should the state step in?
At what point do we look at an adult as an adult if they have a mental age of lets say a 9 year old?
Is it just a question of allowing anyone to breed, and then allocating state resources such as additional carers to help raise a child between a severely mentally disabled couple? should carers encourage the procreation between such adults?

Obviously before collective state group homing for adults with such issues, there was less chance of adults with such disabilities to breed due to them not being kept together as a collective. So in some senses natural selection helped prohibit such pregnancies from happening.

Your views?
+
Puffin
post 15.Oct.2010, 07:59 AM
Post #6

There are many adults that cannot take care for themselves - so where do you draw the line? the chronically sick? alcoholics? drug addicits? People that don't meet a certain IQ score?

Usually the state does step in in some way
- support in the home/assistance
- foster care
- placement within the wider family
etc
+
byke
post 15.Oct.2010, 08:21 AM
Post #7

Well in the case of medical addictions such as severe drug addiction, I personally believe that any adult who has been confirmed by medical professionals that if that person was to fall pregnant with their lifestyle "drug issue" , if it would be perceived a very high chance of the child being born with severe difficulties as a direct result of the addicts issues ... then I believe the state should step in (which also goes against absolutely everything I believe in) simply because by the addicts actions it would be or should be perceived as a violation or similar act to towards the fetus such as GBH since it would have life long devastating effects on the child.

No human should be the bi-product medical mistake based on pretext of another humans so called freedom of rights when it imposes such severe implications to such life (mental or physical)
+
SarahRF
post 15.Oct.2010, 08:47 AM
Post #8

Makes me think of that movie with Sean Penn, "I am Sam"... heartbreaking movie, but good.
+
Puffin
post 15.Oct.2010, 11:16 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (byke @ 15.Oct.2010, 08:32 AM) *
As society has changed over the modern years many adults with issues are usually grouped in community care homes which in turn allows them to be monitored and cared for by the ... (show full quote)

Why would it lead to preganacy necessarily? - there are a range of contraceptive options
+
byke
post 15.Oct.2010, 11:34 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Puffin @ 15.Oct.2010, 12:16 PM) *
Why would it lead to preganacy necessarily? - there are a range of contraceptive options

Yes, if the couple are able to fathom the role of contraception.

However, just because a person is mentally disabled doesn't mean they dont have maternal instincts or wish to emulate something that has been drawn to their attention. And this could lead to pregnancies unless the carers who look after these groups give dosages of contraception either with or without the knowledge of its recipients.

Its obviously a very complex issue that would need to be judged on a case by case issue.
But a very sad one also.
+
Rick Methven
post 15.Oct.2010, 11:43 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (byke @ 15.Oct.2010, 09:21 AM) *
Well in the case of medical addictions such as severe drug addiction, I personally believe that any adult who has been confirmed by medical professionals that if that person w ... (show full quote)

If you started this thread on the SD site, I'm sure you would get a lot of ideas on who should be sterilised cool.gif
+
byke
post 15.Oct.2010, 11:46 AM
Post #12

I know, thats the scary part.
As in one sense I am disgusted by the idea of forced contraception and its implications.
But on the other hand, who speaks up for the human life created at what is considered a severe disadvantage.
+
Puffin
post 15.Oct.2010, 12:01 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (byke @ 15.Oct.2010, 12:34 PM) *
Yes, if the couple are able to fathom the role of contraception.However, just because a person is mentally disabled doesn't mean they dont have maternal instincts or wish ... (show full quote)

I would think not the usual way that it is done in Sweden - it would be illegal to medicate someone without their knowledge - wouldn't the staff/person arrange for a long acting contraceptive through the usual family planning clinic?

If the person does not have the mental capacity to make a decision on contraception - then there may be a legal issue of whether the person can consent to a sexual relationship - so it may be a case where a single sex group home might be more appropriate
+
Plowbridge
post 15.Oct.2010, 12:01 PM
Post #14

Who is to say that because parents are healthy, wealthy etc that they are capable? What happens if their kids are taught to grow up being greedy, uncompassionate, selfish little bastards that do not benefit society around them. Should they be questioned by someone taking the slippery high moral ground?
+
Rick Methven
post 15.Oct.2010, 12:08 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Plowbridge @ 15.Oct.2010, 01:01 PM) *
Who is to say that because parents are healthy, wealthy etc that they are capable? What happens if their kids are taught to grow up being greedy, uncompassionate, selfish litt ... (show full quote)

Seeing the large number of "greedy, uncompassionate, selfish little bastards that do not benefit society" around, a very large proportion of the population should be sterilised blink.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: