Printable Version of Topic

Click here to view this topic in its original format

The Local _ Finance _ US Self Employment tax

Posted by: NickNick 8.Oct.2018, 05:13 PM

Hi all, this is my first post here. I am a Swedish citizen who lived in the US for many years but have now returned to Sweden. While in the US I acquired US citizenship and discovered to my horror (the horror!) that I still have to do a US tax declaration. I am self employed and have been filling out forms 1040, 2555 and Schedule SE. It looks to me that while my income as a whole is excluded from US taxation, I still have to pay self employment tax to the US, irregardless. Can this be right?

I would be thankful for a speedy answer, since I have to send in the forms post haste! Many thanks,


Posted by: intrepidfox 8.Oct.2018, 05:22 PM

Best to contact Skatteverket or the IRS. They will have the correct information

Posted by: NickNick 8.Oct.2018, 07:35 PM

I was hoping some intrepid self employed person who's been there might have a quick answer for me tonight smile.gif

Powered by Invision Power Board (
© Invision Power Services (