The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Building a vacation home in the forest

About duties and regulations

Diango
post 6.Apr.2019, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Hello everyone :-)

I registered and posted here almost 2 years ago, because of a position that I was vying for in Sweden. Unfortunately that didn't go through... but the idea stuck. We love Sweden, and we are going back there this summer for a holiday (more like a camping road trip). People here are very friendly and helpful, so I turn to you once again for advice (any and all advice is welcome).

I was passed on this idea by other people:

1) Buy land
2) Build cabin
3) Enjoy

The premise being that if you build something completely off the grid (solar panels, composting toilet, dig a well) with no plumbing, there will be less upkeep and no heating necessary in the winter to stop the pipes from freezing. Basically like camping, but in a wooden tent smile.gif.

But of course, it isn't so easy. I have read about all sorts of duties when you buy land.
Basically, you can either buy land with a house already on there, or a free plot. The first option will probably come with rules regarding the sewage, the house itself (how it was constructed, insulated etc), the safety of the plumbing and electricity lines etc etc. There might also be restrictions on the size of the building(s) (in case you were planning to tear it down and build something new). Plus is that the land already has a permit to live there, but the rules might make going off grid impossible?

Option two... I'm told that forest or farm land is easier to get permits for (don't know if that is really true). You don't pay any upkeep or tax for the land itself but you have to make sure there are no endangered species, preserved wildlife, historical monuments or sites, no joint obligations (such as paying for a nearby road or something) and no usage rights (power lines, train tracks etc).

It doesn't have to be nearby a town or even have neighbors. I'm not at the point where I'm scouting pieces of forests for sale (I do know that hemnet might not be the best place for plots of (farm) land) - I first want to know which laws, regulations and duties would be relevant in this scenario.

Yes, of course you can just buy a fritidshus or gård and fix that up, and that is still an option, but I'm just very interested to know whether buying forest and build something on that (for personal use) is even remotely possible (and allowed).

In this scenario there would be no mortgage needed, we would just buy the plot, pay for any duties and fees and start building the cabin over the span of a few months/years and clearing a path to the main road.

Idea being that we get to go to our own piece land / vacation home whenever we feel like it, and should another opportunity arise to indeed migrate, we already have a place to stay and go from there.
Go to the top of the page
+
Diango
post 6.Apr.2019, 07:55 PM
Post #2

Oh, and on a related note: I mentioned a camping road trip... We know about allemansrätten. Does this give us any opportunities to camp in the forest with our tent? We would like to take 2 or 3 weeks to tour the country and see lots of places, camping out in the wild whenever possible. We might visit a camping here and there but if we can't find a suitable place for the day, we will still need a place to put up the tent and sleep.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Apr.2019, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Why not contact a real estate agent???
+
Diango
post 6.Apr.2019, 08:21 PM
Post #4

I have, in the past. But truth be told not all experiences were great, and I'm not at the point where I want to call several of them to get all my questions answered. The internet has proved to be a better place for that.
+
Bsmith
post 6.Apr.2019, 11:07 PM
Post #5

My advice is to buy an existing cabin rather than build. You will get a lot more bang for the buck and experience a lot less hassle and stress.

My 2 cents.
+
yet another brit
post 7.Apr.2019, 07:51 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 6.Apr.2019, 10:07 PM) *
My advice is to buy an existing cabin rather than build. You will get a lot more bang for the buck and experience a lot less hassle and stress.. My 2 cents.

I'd agree. Plenty of places that fit the description, but with the advantage of already being there, and hence having permission to even exist...for example, even in the middle of nowhere you can't just drill for water without permission.

Sweden has a zillion old cottages out there ready to go. If you are happy for your outgoing sanitary arrangements to consist of "a bucket in a little cute hut, but still a bucket" then the world is your oyster.

And good luck :-)
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: