The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >   Reply to this topic

Stockholm versus London

Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 4.Feb.2006, 12:04 PM
Post #46

QUOTE (Andrew Robertson)
Love the blog...it just gets better and better, Have referred 10 or more people who I know will check it out. Please, please, please do an article report about the finer details of Swedish drinking habits (like the luke wam tap water with red wine, etc). Your writing style rocks...

Thanks, Mate. I'll get right on that. In the next couple of days. And yes, please do tell some friends. Not enough UK hits in the stats. Americans are always welcome, but it'd be good to see more Brits! I'll have a "Spam Your Friends" feature soon as well, to hopefully generate more trafic.
Thanks again

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net -
for observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
Go to the top of the page
+
Ashlito
post 4.Feb.2006, 12:13 PM
Post #47

QUOTE (Markbase)
Bollocks. There is so much more to choose from in London, and many I've met are more than up for it.

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg

quite correct and the women have abit of life to them unlike sthlm
+
Ashlito
post 4.Feb.2006, 12:17 PM
Post #48

QUOTE (Stephen)
Stockholm is too much of a small town for me. Limited shopping variety, poor food variety, limited entertainment variety and quite frankly too one dimensional.

There are plenty of Swedish girls in London and plenty of others from interesting countries biggrin.gif Also there doesn't seem to be many English in London :wink:

Sadly in my industry, most of the jobs are out of London so it is just not a viable option for me. The closest I got to London was working in Basildon and living in Southend-on-sea. So close to London but a world away :shock:

smallest of small towns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! exactly swedish women in London seem to be completely a different bunch than one's left back here...
i mean STHLM is a 1/3 of the size of my home town Melbourne & they act like this is some big cosmopolitan epicentre...
+
Andrew Robertson
post 4.Feb.2006, 12:27 PM
Post #49

QUOTE (Ashlito)
smallest of small towns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! exactly swedish women in London seem to be completely a different bunch than one's left back here...
i mean STHLM is a 1/3 of the size of my home town Melbourne & they act like this is some big cosmopolitan epicentre...

That's cos all the best ones came to London man. Go check out Chiswick/Hammersmith...there's more Swedish joy of the top 5 percent category than there is in the whole of Ostermalm and Sodermalm combined.

Andrew xxx

-II- Life+
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 4.Feb.2006, 12:29 PM
Post #50

Hammersmith, good place 8)
+
Andrew Robertson
post 4.Feb.2006, 12:37 PM
Post #51

Hej Sterbro old chap. You come over and I'll take you to the saloon bar in the universe. You've not met Communist till you've tasted some of this Poontang bro'.

Peace and Piece,

Andrew xxx
+
*Pelle Erövraren in Stockh*
post 4.Feb.2006, 03:47 PM
Post #52

QUOTE (Markbase)
London, hands down.
My feeling is that, if you're going to live in a major international city, you might as well be in one that has a large population, a true mix of nearly all cultures (most of which co-exist and inter-mingle very well), an incredible amount of energy, and an endless amount of things to do (many of which are actually free). London is this and so much more. Of course there are down-sides as well; it's bloody expensive, much of the housing lacks basic things like double-glazing, central heating - even insulation, the showers (if you're lucky enough to have them) normally hardly have any water pressure (drizzly-drizzle).
But all in all, it's a fantastic city

I spent two weeks in Stockholm, and saw all I wanted to see. I spent 12 years in London, and would discover something new every time I had a visitor, or just felt like exploring. There are still some things I'd like to see and do there.

That's why I'd choose London.

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg

For me it´s very important not to freeze in my apartment love the central heating system you don´t have to worry that the gas power breaks down and it does all the time! I want to have a nice hot shower so Stockholm wins!

And for me it´s much easier to stay out of drugs in Stockholm it´s not socially accepted by the majority here to smoke marijuana/hasch cigarettes to take party pills like in many other European big cities including London. The police is more hard here! Not a drug addict but it´s a lot more liberal in other cities in Europe. Here I only drink alcohol (mostly).
+
Dave_the_rave
post 4.Feb.2006, 04:25 PM
Post #53

LONDON LONDON LONDON HANDS DOWN,

The pure amount of history, places of interest to visit that remain after 100s and 1000s of years, the PUBs! the mass amount of concerts on every night, the nightclubs, the comedy clubs, the West End theatre district, the restaurants, cafes, the shopping and cool butik shops, London fashion shows, one of the biggest or the biggest financial district in Europe, football, the old type of street markets, JOBS! ability to earn very good money and not be giving 30% and then 50% to the tax man as in sweden, no charges to go to the doctor, cheap perscriptions for drugs, paid sick leave - not 1 day no pay and then the rest at 80% as in sweden, buy alcohol and not get a standard green bag associating you with alcoholoics that lerk everywhere in stockholm, great studying oportunities for overseas visitors. The security cameras that look over london - not people getting away with murder like in the centre of stockholm -cameras can catch these people-learn from other cities stockholm. the list is endless with London!!!

The freedom to buy alcohol at most times of the day and buy pharmacy products any time of the day, from a normal shop. The membership of the EU and actually sticking to the rules and not having a sweden rule book.

Stockholm, is good if you want to bring up children as there are great benefits although you pay for it in tax. if your not having kids then your paying for everyones elses kids etc and you wont have much chance in earning much money. Stockholm main sights you can see in a few days, no local pubs that are worth going to. close to nature which is nice and a cleaner enviroment than london.

Lets face it you have a visitor-tourist here in stockholm from UK/US they cant go to the theatre not many around and they speak swedish, comedy club-same story, concerts- dont have many concerts and only a few international artist to see every year, A tourist gets to see the nice landscape of stockholm and its history but its not good for evening entertainment,-if you dont speak swedish of course.

tirerd of Stockholm then go to London, tired of London, then your not living it up enough!
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 4.Feb.2006, 04:26 PM
Post #54

QUOTE (Pelle Erövraren)
For me it´s very important not to freeze in my apartment love the central heating system you don´t have to worry that the gas power breaks down and it does all the time! I want to have a nice hot shower so Stockholm wins!

And for me it´s much easier to stay out of drugs in Stockholm it´s not socially accepted by the majority here to smoke marijuana/hasch cigarettes to take party pills like in many other European big cities including London. The police is more hard here! Not a drug addict but it´s a lot more liberal in other cities in Europe. Here I only drink alcohol (mostly).

Heard of restraint and self-control?

Stockholm is the only city I have seen druggies regularly shooting up in public places in the open. (Tunnelbana near work)

Police, what police??? My car got broken into twice in two days and on the third day they came back and stole my wheels. Not once did the police show any interest. In Australia when my home was broken into, police came around and even dusted for prints. About two months later they called me to say the had caught the person.

As for the heating, I live in a new apartment and it is too cold for me. I can't do anything about it as it is like many thing in Sweden, centrally controlled. Yes I have spoken to the association and it got better, but still not good enough. One apartment I live in here did not give a good supply of hot water.
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 4.Feb.2006, 05:11 PM
Post #55

I think we'll all have to agree to disagree on this one. We prefer different cities for different reasons. Many of us love the sheer energy and many conveniences of London, but that's not what everyone's after.

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net -
for observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
Mike #1986
post 4.Feb.2006, 08:51 PM
Post #56

please LONDON is one of Europes most popular cities...and stockholm is????
nada..boring .
+
*Mogli 12*
post 5.Feb.2006, 12:27 AM
Post #57

Popular for it's noise, crowds, busy , bustling and hectic atmosphere. Living in a city like that day in day out is very different to merely being a visitor for a couple of weeks, of course it's fun for tourists, even I like going back for visits every so often but London to me is quite frankly not what I consider conducive to stressfree living.

I actually value a higher standard to my life as I have living here over the increased opportunity for a pub crawl every weekend that exists over there. But that's what's important to some so London would be their preference...

It's my opinion that only boring people would find Stockholm boring.
+
*Mark Boy*
post 5.Feb.2006, 10:15 AM
Post #58

QUOTE (Mogli 12)
It's my opinion that only boring people would find Stockholm boring.

Personally I am not THAT boring but I do find that Stockholm is quite quiet for a major city...London is obviously so much bigger that there is much more choice, also I would consider London a lot less expensive than Stockholm.
[img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/angels/teu37.gif[/img]
+
Flami
post 5.Feb.2006, 11:10 AM
Post #59

well,i havent been to either Stockholm nor London,and i dont wanna live in neither place,but if i had to choose one of them to visit,London definately wins my interest.
+
Jeanette
post 5.Feb.2006, 11:34 AM
Post #60

Apologies in advance but for some reason this thread has really riled me.

A general comparison of Stockholm and London is completely pointless as they are so different. London is one of the biggest cities in the world with a population the size of Sweden, Stockholm is one of Europe's smallest capitals.

Obviously London has more nightlife. Obviously London has more jobs. Obviously London has more shops. That's because it is ten times bigger. Conclusion: big cities have more of everything. Including people.

Mowgli, you hit the nail on the head. I was born and bred in London and seeing a different way of life in Stockholm was a real eye opener. I didn't realise until I came here how much I value space, and how good it makes me feel to breathe fresh air and walk by great expanses of water every day. Peace and quiet and calmness, it turns out, work better for me than nightlife and Europe's biggest financial district.

I don't think that makes me boring, though.
+

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: