The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Studying in Sweden with work permit

What can I study and do I need to pay?

post 25.May.2018, 02:54 PM
Post #1
Joined: 25.May.2018

Hello, I have spent the afternoon looking for this information including waiting for 2 hours on the phone with Migrationskervet and I still don't have a clear answer.

I have come to Sweden and given a work permit to work here. I will be working full-time for this company. I have both the work permit card and the Identitetskort with personnummer. Is this considered a temporary resident permit or a permanent one, or...?

Am I eligible to study and do not need to pay tuition for
1) a Master's program (part time) with a school in Sweden? (ie. Gothenburg's EMBA)
2) any courses I want to take with a school / institution in Sweden? (for example, evening courses learning French at Folkuniversitet or at Berlitz)

If I was a Swedish national or an EU citizen, I wouldn't have to pay for tuition for both points 1 and 2, correct?

So, does having a work permit and a Identitetskort with personnummer mean I have the same right to education and not need to pay tuition as a Swedish national / EU citizen?

Thank you in advance!
Go to the top of the page
post 25.May.2018, 09:32 PM
Post #2
Joined: 6.Feb.2018

According to the tuition fee exceptions you fall into this category:

"You have been granted a temporary Swedish residence permit for reasons other than studies"

You should contact the university you are interested in and tell them you already have a temporary residence permit through the job. Dont bother with migrationsverket.
Go to the top of the page
post 27.May.2018, 08:01 PM
Post #3
Joined: 25.May.2018

Wow, ok, so curious where you got that information from... Clearly I am not good at searching online! wink.gif
Go to the top of the page
Case officer
post 27.May.2018, 11:47 PM
Post #4
Joined: 25.Jul.2012

QUOTE (sillyrabbit @ 27.May.2018, 09:01 PM) *
Wow, ok, so curious where you got that information from...
Go to the top of the page
post 3.Jul.2018, 07:18 AM
Post #5
Joined: 1.Jul.2018

Hi all ,
I have a residence card and im a doing a full time job. So as per the about information im eligible to study for free. Is it same for my spouse as well ? my wife has a residence card but she is not working. Is she eligible to study free ?
Go to the top of the page
post 11.Jan.2019, 05:12 PM
Post #6
Location: South America
Joined: 11.Jan.2019

Thank you so much
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: