Printable Version of Topic

Click here to view this topic in its original format

The Local _ Family _ Mum and baby groups and activities

Posted by: kdignam 4.Aug.2009, 02:37 PM

My husband and I are moving to Jonkoping (excuse the spelling I don't have a Swedish keyboard at the minute). We are spending the whole month of August there and will move permanently next year. We have a 10 month old son and I would like to know how I can find out about things to do.

In the UK I go to play groups, coffee mornings, soft play centres and swimming lessons. Through these activities I have managed to build up a large group of friends, and my son benefits from interaction with other children, new toys etc.

Where would I go or who would i ask to find out about such activities in Sweden/Jonkoping? I have just found the Mums in Sweden website (I am currently waiting for a log in), but is there anywhere else that I could look?

Also, I am interested to know whether we would be able to find a babysitter in Sweden. Friends of ours have told us that babysitting services (other than using friends or family) are pretty rare in Sweden. In the UK we have managed to find a local babysitter and enjoy the occasional night out together - would it be possible to do the same in Sweden.

Posted by: Puffin 4.Aug.2009, 03:24 PM

In August there won't be so much going on as it is still a semi holiday month.

There are usually activities for parents/children that you can join up for when you move here on a permanent basis - although it may help to have a little Swedish - even though I lived in a much smaller place I took my kids to:
- Öppna förskola - a mother and baby group
- baby singing - we learned Swedish songs and rhymes
- baby gympa - like tumble tots
- baby swiming
I used to find out about this stuff either at the Öppna förskola (Mums maffia) or by a free local newspaer that used to come through the door

If you are a member of Mums in Sweden then there may be meets ups and coffee mornings with other English speaking mums in the area.

Many kids attend dagis (pre-school) at least part time from the age of 1-2 - if you are unemployed, taking Swedish lessons or feel that your child would benefit from playing/learning Swedish then you can usually get around 15 hours per week from the kommun - sometimes this is free

Baby sitting can be a problem as Swedes tend to ask family/close friends - however if you make some contacts and ask around you can often get good tips - perhaps other local mums through Mums in Sweden have contacts as well.

Posted by: Micardo 4.Aug.2009, 09:29 PM

I live in Jönköping but I am old and boring. You must be able to find somewhere more interesting and with more life to move to !!

Posted by: tara casey 5.Aug.2009, 09:28 AM

Tell me where??? I too am moving around the Jonkoping area or there abouts with my husbands job ( and 2 small children). Areas suggested were Ulricehamn and Falkoping.
Where would you suggest that would be good with little!

Posted by: tara casey 5.Aug.2009, 09:29 AM

oh, K...
I have just joined mums in sweden too. Perhaps we could meet up when we arrive in Jonkoping in september.

Posted by: kdignam 5.Aug.2009, 07:16 PM

It would be lovely to meet up - we're probably going to be in jonkoping until 4th september and then will be back permanently from Jan 2010. My husband works in Jonkoping and has commuted back and forth for the last couple of years but now he needs to move (and is sick of the travelling).

I've always lived in big UK cities and worked in London so I think Jonkoping is going to be a different pace of life entirely. There is loads to do with my baby and loads of places to meet other mums here, I'm sure they also exist in Sweden but will be difficult to find.

Are there any livelier places close to jonkoping? I would have thought that it was quite hip as it is a university town - or am I sadly mistaken?

Posted by: Hana123 24.Jan.2011, 12:51 AM

Hello My name is Hannah And Im 18 years old.
I actually moved to Jönköping last year, February time, to live with my boyfriend, im from London originally and then moved to Wales when i was 5 ...
Before i moved away from the U.K i was in college studying Childcare but unfortunatly never had the chance to complete it ... I'm learning swedish at the moment at home so until i have the language under my belt im just trying to find little jobs smile.gif ...
I'm a reliable person and very good with children and babies.
Hope to speak soon
Hannah. smile.gif)

Posted by: ozzarf 16.Jul.2011, 08:57 PM

QUOTE (Garry Jones @ 4.Jan.2011, 06:44 PM) *
The following - IIRC.

It may be useful for you to know the CSA in the UK and the Swedish "försäkringskassa" have very different proceedures regarding financing.

In the UK the woman applies to the CSA who tracks - or attempts to track the father down - He is then made to pay for the child. If the father goes AWOL the woman receives no child support.

In Sweden the mother receives about 1200kr child support a month directly from the state no matter what even if the father has done a bunk. The father is then tracked down and forced to pay the Government back this ammount or a proportion of this 1200kr based on taxed income from two years previously.

Thus the proportion of the 1200kr one has to pay a month during 2011 is based on earnings between January 1st and December 31st 2009. They take into consideration the father's cost of living according to a table and will work out the surplus. From that they will ask for a proportion of the 1200kr or all of it to be repaid to the Swedish state each month.

However the UK fiscial year is April 6th to April 5th so the Swedish state will be unable to discover your earnings from Jan 1st-Dec 31st 2009. When dealing with the UK the Swedish state will probably count April 6th 2008 - April 5th 2009. So you will need to provide this information from the Inland Revenue. (I could be a year out, they might want April 6th 2009-April 5th 2010).

Each year until the child is 18 or in full-time education until he/she is 20 this will be reviewed based on your earnings two years previosuly - and the 1200kr figure will be raised occasionally. If you spend long periods of time with the child (say summer holidays in the future) you will be entitled to the Child Support from the Swedish state and she will have to pay them out of her earnings 2 years previously. (As long as you maintain joint custody rights).

1200kr does not go a long way. Say the Swedish government ask for 700kr a month you should - based on your income - pay her another 2000-3000kr out of your own sense of doing right for your kid. If your ex is fairly wealthy you could set up a long term fund for your child with a Swedish bank and have a set amount transfered every month. This could be locked until the chid turns18 or 25.

Write a will!
In Swedish Law the parents cannot refuse their children their inheritance. This does not apply to father's from the UK even if they have lived in Sweden for 30, 40 or 50 years or like yourself a few months. The UK law applies to all UK fathers. In UK law a father can choose to leave all his money to one child or even give it to a cat's charity. You should draw up a will and leave everything to your child in Sweden (if that's what you want to do). In the future if you have other kids you should adjust your will accordingly.

I have recently helped a Swedish mother who had children with a UK father who died suddenly at 47 and another Swedish mother that had children with a USA father who was killed in a road accident at 55. Neither father had left a will and it was a lot of heavy paper work with the British and UK embassies to sort it out. In both cases it would have been a lot easier if wills had been left.

Another thing you can do before the child is born. Write a letter/email to her mother. In my experience its always worth staying on the right side of g/f's mums in Sweden. You should explain what you have said here that you want to be part of the child's life.

And good luck, sorry your relationship didn't work out.

When UK/Swedish relationships end some fathers move home. Where kids are concerened - in my experience the UK fathers that have chosen to stay in Sweden are far happier long-term. You might consider moving back, this is a wonderful country. You would probably be able to find a small flat so you can be a part of your child's life.

Say, for whatever reason, you get involved in the child's life 12 months after birth and are quiet happy to begin paying child support.

Will the Swedish government try to recover those 12 months of payments or just be happy that they will no longer have to pay?

Thanks in advance

Posted by: Puffin 17.Jul.2011, 07:13 AM


Check out the site Mums in Sweden - there is a poster over there called Skate who is looking to set up a regular meet up for English speaking mums and kids in Jonköping

Posted by: Wombers 24.Mar.2014, 12:05 PM

Hi All

My wife and I and our huge brood of 5 kids recently moved to J

Posted by: littleviking 24.Mar.2014, 06:56 PM

[quote name='Wombers' post='832655' date='24.Mar.2014, 12:05 PM']Hi All

My wife and I and our huge brood of 5 kids recently moved to J

Posted by: antonio82 30.Mar.2014, 11:12 AM

I love jogging in summer with our childrens, and a small wine bottle to drink on road.

Posted by: zeina1990 30.Oct.2017, 12:33 AM

Hello, I was wondering if there are any groups close to Hässleholm or Malmö..

Posted by: wondering_again 30.Oct.2017, 08:58 AM

Hi Zeina, there is a facebook group English speaking Mums in Sweden. If you join that I think you will find a lot of help. Good luck !

Powered by Invision Power Board (
© Invision Power Services (