The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

'Personnummer' received from univ admissions

What relationship to 'real' personnummer?

suziezed
post 18.Mar.2012, 09:51 PM
Post #1

Hello everyone - congratulations to those of you who have received notice that you have been admitted to programs throughout Sweden - hope I will get to meet some of you in the fall.

After I responded to my 'Notification of Selection Results' I received an email which said that "Your reply was registered under the following Swedish personal identification number (personnummer):" . This was followed by a number in the format YYYYMMDD-AXXX (where the first part is my birthdate, then a hyphen, an alpha character which I presume indicates my gender and 3 digits).

I tried to use this for registering on a couple of housing websites but it doesn't seem it is the correct format for the 'official' or 'real' personnummer - at least according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_identity_number_%28Sweden%29). Is this some kind of temporary number/replacement number that is for use by foreigners in the country for a defined period?

Thanks for any information.

Susan
Go to the top of the page
+
Johno
post 18.Mar.2012, 10:01 PM
Post #2

You can check the validity of your number by typing it into http://www.personnummer.nu/ . If the notification says its a personnummer (that exact word) then it surely is. However some students on shorter stay get a so called coordination number. Read the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_iden...number_(Sweden) more carefully to see which. A full personnummer may not register until it gets read out from Skatteverket into the credit agencies databases, whichever the housing people use. In which case try again.
+
suziezed
post 18.Mar.2012, 10:31 PM
Post #3

Thanks Johno - yes, I saw the information in the Wikipedia article about the other types of numbers but thought that an official communication from universityadmissions.se would call it by another name (samordningsnummer or reservnummer).

Even with no knowledge of Swedish I can see on http://www.personnummer.nu/ that the number I have been given is not the 'real thing' since it is not in the format specified (ÅÅMMDD-NNNN) above the box in the section with the heading Verifiera personnummer.

I guess it must be strictly for the university(ies) to identify students and perhaps is used only for non-Swedish students.

Susan
+
Furu
post 19.Mar.2012, 01:03 AM
Post #4

Does the number reads as 123456-T123?
+
AlexTrungHuynh
post 19.Mar.2012, 02:57 AM
Post #5

Yes it does.
+
Furu
post 19.Mar.2012, 12:09 PM
Post #6

It is a temporary number for the university system.
+
Puffin
post 19.Mar.2012, 12:56 PM
Post #7

Yep - the Uni system requires the personal number field to be completed - so they give you a dummy number for the application system
+
suziezed
post 19.Mar.2012, 05:10 PM
Post #8

Thanks all for the info - just to clarify the number (in my case at least) is not 6 digits-hyphen-alpha-3 digits but 8 digits instead of 6.

Susan
+
Johno
post 19.Mar.2012, 06:19 PM
Post #9

What seems rather more to the point is if you are not yet in Sweden but in Canada and have no Swedish address, you wont have a proper PN. The telling bit then after all the above is "Your reply was registered under..." ie its the registration number in the Universities books and thats all. You have yet to get a PN or CN to use in the Swedish systems which only comes once you are actually in Sweden.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: