The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Leaving/entering while waiting on residency card?

Possible to receive a temporary residency card?

post 20.Jun.2019, 03:26 PM
Post #1
Joined: 12.Mar.2017

I have been living in Sweden for approximately two years together with my girlfriend and I applied for an extension of my residency permit and I was awarded a permanent residency permit.
I have scheduled an appointment to have new photos taken and new finger prints done at the Migrationboard and then it will probably take another couple of weeks to get the new residency card.
I was wanting to go on a trip abroad during summer vacation (whole July), but I would need to order the plane tickets soon and I don't think I will get the residency card before I would have to leave on the trip.
Would it be possible to leave Sweden and get back in without actually having the physical card with me in the pass control. Are they able to see in the computer somehow that I now am a permanent resident, or do I absolutely have to have the card with me?
Or can the Migrationboard issue some kind of temporary residency card?
If it's not possible, I just have to stay home, but I figured I would ask here just in case someone knows. Thanks for reading.
Go to the top of the page
post 21.Jun.2019, 09:05 PM
Post #2
Joined: 15.Sep.2018

From my limited knowledge, take it with a grain of salt:

1) If you go with-in Schengen Area, chances are that there will be no checks. But if there will be a check (police, etc) in another country and they find you without valid visa - this can be a huge trouble, as you most likely will be deported and need to fight deportation order outside of EU. Maybe not worth it.

2) If you go outside of Schengen Area via any country but Sweden (like take flight to CPH and then to outside of Schengen), you most probably will get into trouble immediately, as usually passport control check that you haven't overstayed, so having valid work permit card is must.

3) If you go outside of Schengen Area from Sweden directly, they will let you out without much problem (you will probably hear something "we will let you out, but we will not let you back without a work permit card"). I think there is 50/50 chance that they will let you in afterwards. But keep in mind you can get in trouble when departing another country, for example in US airline stuff quite often checks your visas (because sending you back from Sweden to US will be too much trouble for them).

4) If previous fails, there were cases of Sweden embassy issuing a short visa just to let you in. But this can take a few weeks.

If I was you, I would probably just wait for the card, less hassle overall.

PS. don't forget your EU health insurance card smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
post 22.Jun.2019, 09:53 AM
Post #3
Joined: 12.Mar.2017

Thank you for your reply! I think you're right, I better wait for the card and not risk anything.
Go to the top of the page
post 24.Jun.2019, 06:27 AM
Post #4
Joined: 25.Sep.2018

You just travel like a normal human and that is it. Swedish police is aware that migrationsverket is not doing their job and that people are waiting for a long time for permits so they won’t budge.
If traveling within the Schengen there are no controls whatsoever - that is the point of Schengen.
So my suggestion is if you want to be on a safe side - travel in Schengen
Go to the top of the page
post 17.Nov.2019, 11:58 AM
Post #5
Joined: 14.Sep.2017

I was wondering this as well. MV has an FAQ entry on this, but the answer is not very clear:

Kan jag resa ut ur Sverige när jag väntar på beslut om förlängt arbetstillstånd?

Det finns inga hinder för att lämna Sverige, men om det nya uppehålls- och arbetstillståndet inte är klart riskerar du att inte få komma in i Sverige om du befinner dig utanför landets gränser. Därför behöver du alltid göra en avvägning mellan risken att inte få ett beslut i tid mot nödvändigheten i resan utanför Sverige.

It sounds like they're saying that if a positive decision has been made you should be admitted, but if it's still pending you may not be - but it's somewhat open to interpretation. I also found this on

Det finns en informell acceptans hos gräns­polisen att släppa in utlänningar som är i väntan på om­pröv­ning av sitt arbetstillstånd.

Still, would be interesting to hear from someone who has any personal experience in this.

(Of course, being allowed by the airline to actually board the plane to Sweden is another story!)
Go to the top of the page
post 17.Nov.2019, 05:17 PM
Post #6
Location: Malmö
Joined: 8.Jan.2010

I am stuck in exactly this situation, waiting on the work permit extension, after first permit has expired.

My work involves heavy travel every week, within Schengen and outside, but now I cannot move out of Sweden without "some" risk, and neither Migrationsverket, nor Border Police, nor any lawyer can give any conclusive answer and my company has asked all of them!

Easiest way for them would be to just stamp a travel Schengen visa on the passport for anybody in this situation, but the bureaucracy sucks.
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: