The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Planing to study an undergraduate degree (Swedish)

Take a year learning Swedish to study?

Grop
post 22.Apr.2017, 01:00 PM
Post #1

Hi people,

Currently, I live in the UK and I am in my last year of the A-Levels(British qualification similar to the gymnasiums). I want to study either Law or Economics in Swedish. My plan is to go in the summer when I finish my A-Levels and take a year to learn Swedish before going to University.

I have some questions regarding the viability of this plan, maybe you could help me a bit smile.gif.

1) Is it possible to meet the Swedish requirement with the SFI course or further courses are required?

2)If further courses are required, how long would it take to complete both the SFI and the further courses required altogether?

Many thanks beforehand! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
cinnamonroll
post 12.May.2017, 07:07 PM
Post #2

Be aware of the requirement between Swedish high school syllabus and GCE AL. As far as I know there is a business bachelor programme in Stockholm University.

I believe SFI is insufficient. There are additional levels and exams that you have to complete. I think before any of this you should check whether you are eligible for a personal number (if you are not coming already being admitted as a student).

Wish you all the best.
+
mjennin2
post 13.May.2017, 07:15 AM
Post #3

Believe me when I say it will take much longer than a year to become university-fluent in Swedish, especially if you have no previous foundation in the language.

SFI is meant to get a speaker to the level of a 6 year old (this is not being sarcastic - the point is to get a non-native speaker to the level that a grammar school child is at). From there, the general path is to take SAS (now known as SVA) Grund which is grammar school level Swedish. And then SAS 1-3, which take you through high school and such. At the end of the programs, you would take your TISUS exam which you need to pass to prove to Uni that you meet the requirements for uni-level comprehension.

Even for people who study full-time, it can take years to meet the proficiency requirements - it just depends on your abilities as an individual learner of the Swedish language.

Further, the queues for SFI are monstrously long. It also depends on the kommun you intend to study in, as they vary significantly. Many people choose to pay for their language education at folkuniversititet but even those queues can be upwards of 3-6 months.

Case in point: I live about 30 minutes outside of Herrljunga. Small-ish kommun, so they only had fall and spring SFI terms (which were divided into levels A, B, C, D). In the summer, when I started, they just had one 10-week intro course before fall term. I dropped out after 2 classes because the subject matter being taught was the latin alphabet. I was the only person of 20 people in my class that spoke a language that used the latin alphabet. Since I was pregnant at the time, I got permission to register for distance classes in Borås, a neighboring kommun, and the queue was 9 months. I applied in April, and got a seat in December.

SFI is done at the pace of the individual learner. You will first take a placement exam to see which level of SFI is appropriate for you (A through D; A being for learners who do not use a latin alphabet, and D for learners with a college degree and a foundational knowledge of the language) Your teacher will recommend you to take the NP to test out of the level you're in or the program entirely, when they feel you are ready.

Once you go onto SAS (SVA) they are more like regular courses with a definite start and finish, with midterms and exams to see if you pass the course or not.

If I were you, I would hire a private teacher now to get you started and to better idea of how long it might take you to learn the language... but even with that said, you cannot predict or anticipate how long it will take you to actually get placed in a class and move along through each course, unfortunately.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: