The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
26 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »    Reply to this topic

'Gender-based' abortion is ruled legal

So decide the Swedish health authorities

Puffin
post 12.May.2009, 05:41 PM
Post #106

QUOTE (MICKEY0601 @ 12.May.2009, 06:37 PM) *
puffin, what percentage of women's health is at risk. less that 1%? You are trying to use the most extreme case to make a point. what are you, a politician. These women ar ... (show full quote)

I nearly died in both my deliveries - and spent the first 24 hours in intensive care - it's much more common than you think

This was obviously my choice as my children were very much wanted - however I don't beleve in forcing people to take these risks
Go to the top of the page
+
MICKEY0601
post 12.May.2009, 05:42 PM
Post #107

I adopted my daughter from China because the people over there are aborting baby girls or leaving them in public places to be taken to orphanages. Is this the way that you people want your country to be.
+
*Grandma Death*
post 12.May.2009, 05:43 PM
Post #108

I hate children. If it were up to me I'd make abortion legal until the age of 18. I wonder what trimester that would be? dry.gif
+
Jamtjim
post 12.May.2009, 05:44 PM
Post #109

All men are created EQUAL.

Actually Common Sense, I believe (and i'm sure someone will tell me if i'm wrong) that we all start off with two X chromosones thus making us, at least initially, female. It is only later in the early stages on foetal development that males develop a Y chromosone. Therefore it would be more acurate to say "all women are created equal"...
+
Puffin
post 12.May.2009, 05:50 PM
Post #110

QUOTE (MICKEY0601 @ 12.May.2009, 06:42 PM) *
I adopted my daughter from China because the people over there are aborting baby girls or leaving them in public places to be taken to orphanages. Is this the way that you peo ... (show full quote)

Well it hasn't happened in the past 34 years of the same Abortion Act - why do you think it would happen now?
+
Paulo +fab muscular than ...
post 12.May.2009, 06:03 PM
Post #111

Sweden is not a patriarchal society, in fact it enjoys one of the most equal societies in the world in terms of women equality. Is this law going to change a culture where women DO have an important role?
+
ericdb
post 12.May.2009, 06:08 PM
Post #112

Actually, Jamtjim, that is incorrect. A woman's ovaries has an X chromosome (one of the two after meiosis). The sperm from the male carries either an X, or a y chromosome (again separated at meiosis). If a sperm with an X chormosome gets there, poof, a girl. Vice Versa.
+
Jamtjim
post 12.May.2009, 06:12 PM
Post #113

Thanks ericdb. I stand corrected.

Do you know of a good / repuable website where I can go to try to fill this rather obvious gap in my knowledge? I would appreciate it...
+
TomPennsylvania
post 12.May.2009, 06:14 PM
Post #114

QUOTE (Stewie Griffin @ 12.May.2009, 03:41 PM) *
Like I said I was curious. A great deal of people who are pro-life when it comes to emotional/social reasons see things differently when it comes to rape/incest and in some ca ... (show full quote)

True, good point. But I think people tend to get distracted by the individual making a point rather than the point itself. Just like all these distractions about war and capital punishment. Here's my argument. Is "it" alive? Of course. Is it human? What else could it be? Is human life worth preserving in some instances and not in others?

About the argument, basically, how could it be up to us to decide if it's wrong? Well, it's up to us, as voters, as members of society, to decide what is illegal and what isn't. We've chosen to make murder illegal. Ditto for stealing, assault - many things which involve harm to another. We don't ask the murderer if he thinks it's ok to murder people; it's not for him to decide. Society made it illegal; the murderer's personal beliefs are not germane; society will punish him despite his beliefs. Likewise the woman who wishes to kill the child she helped create. It's up to society to decide if that is allowable. That's the value of this discussion.

QUOTE (Paulo +fab muscular than Jonnhy @ 12.May.2009, 03:45 PM) *
When does human life start? Are you trying to equate the genocide commited by Nazis with an abortion of a fetus which cannot even be independent and conscious about what's ... (show full quote)

I think human life starts very early, at the latest when the zygote cells have specialized into various tissues - no one still has any idea how that happens. But even at fertilization, it's alive, and it's human.

The crime I (and others) see with abortion on demand is that it's society-sponsered and allowed ending of human lives, which is what happened in Germany. Then, as now, millions of people allowed it to happen. To be honest, just as you don't know how you can be "pro-war" and "pro-life", I don't see how you can be "pro-choice" and against the Nazi Action T4 program, which directly led to the Holocaust. Sure, it's not the same specifically, and you can make arguments as to how deep the wrongness is for each, but both are still wrong.

And that's what is betrayed by your changing of the subject to war and everything else. If you knew it was really fine to kill a series of babies until you get the right gender, you would make a cogent argument explaining why. But instead you start talking about the Iraq war. Your own actions show that you know what's right and wrong, but it's too inconvenient for you to think about the consequences of your beliefs.
+
*Kate99*
post 12.May.2009, 06:19 PM
Post #115

What they should really do is take her second born and kill it. If we are killing for gender would someone be so willing to kill a child they've had for years? No! Well killing a fetus is the same, just the poor thing hasn't had the same chance to be born and grow! Abortion is murder, at any stage. If you disagree, you are an idiot. Maybe we should select you for elimination as well.
+
Jasoncarter
post 12.May.2009, 06:21 PM
Post #116

So who's put a link to this story on some nutty American pro life site? Can we go there and start flaming them about their pathetic and appalling maternity leave rules?
+
Inletwatcher
post 12.May.2009, 06:27 PM
Post #117

Wow look at all the new posters.
+
Paulo +fab muscular than ...
post 12.May.2009, 06:39 PM
Post #118

QUOTE (Kate99 @ 12.May.2009, 07:19 PM) *
If you disagree, you are an idiot. Maybe we should select you for elimination as well.

Starting by Christian fundamentalists?
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 12.May.2009, 06:49 PM
Post #119

QUOTE (Common Sense @ 12.May.2009, 05:32 PM) *
Puffin, this is discussing a woman who willfully got pregnant and willfully wants to end it. If the woman's life is at risk, then she and her spouse need to decide.

Speaking of idiots.

Anyone who would choose the life of their unborn child over the life of their wife is an idiot.

And regarding the Drudge clickers...not everyone that reads Drudge is a pro-life, right-wing nutjob. I just wish some of them would shut up though - because some can't articlate an arguement for sh!t. Reminds me of that scene from The Abyss when the grouchy lady (cant remember her name) tells the crazy guy to "Hey - stay off my side!"
+
Jamtjim
post 12.May.2009, 06:50 PM
Post #120

It always puzzles me how "Pro-Life" people are so quick to advocate the deaths of other people who dont agree with them...
+

26 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: