The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Cheese types on pizza

Which one do you use?

krzyz21
post 20.Aug.2009, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Hello folks,

I prefer to make my own pizzas (and they turn out really good). What I would like to know, which cheese do you use on your pizza. In an ideal world, I would like to use Parmesan but the cost is pretty high (for me) and I really hate that grating part. I found riven Parmesan only once but I doubt its quality. Mozzarella is another option.
What they sell here as Pizza cheese, I feel like, its just riven Gouda or Grevé and I don't like the taste, texture and feeling while eating.

I would like to know whats your preference?

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 20.Aug.2009, 05:23 PM
Post #2

I love pizza without cheese.

In fact I dont eat cheese on pizza anymore and find the taste a lot more refreshing and less greasy.
+
UKLady
post 20.Aug.2009, 05:35 PM
Post #3

Oooh, a combo of mozzarella and monteray jack (if I can get it that is)

Otherwise I use Emmental or gouda.

Love home-made pizzas as cannot stand the gloop that is served up as a pizza hereabouts. biggrin.gif
+
krzyz21
post 20.Aug.2009, 05:40 PM
Post #4

I just bought Emmental. I will if it passes my test tomorrow.

If you use mozzarella, how do you make sure that the water doesn't ruin your pizza. I slice it and leave it on the strainer for a while, still it ruins my pizza all the time.
If you use that combination of mozzarella and monteray jack, is there any proportion?

Thanks
+
irishmark
post 20.Aug.2009, 08:36 PM
Post #5

Has to be mozarella - but you don't need to completely cover the pizza in it. Half a 125g ball is generally enough for one pizza, if you want a bit more cheese on though you can add a bit of cheddar or something else fairly creamy.
Parmesan is way too strong and dry a cheese for pizza, doesn't work very well.
Some cheddar is okay, but if you use too much the pizza tends to be very greasy.
To drain the mozarella, I just cut the pack open a little and pour out all the water first - then open it the rest of the way. Then just tear the mozarella into pieces as you're putting it on the pizza - it'll pull apart quite easily in layers.

For a really nice pizza sauce, try the following:
1 carton or tin of chopped tomatoes with basil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

- In a small pot, fry the garlic in some oil for a minute over a low heat, continuously stirring.
- Add the chopped tomatoes (I use ICA finkrossade tomater med basilka, which on the ingrdients also contains some sugar, onion and seasoning - if you use a different brand, you may need to check/add some sugar & salt)
- Liquidise the mixture in the pot with a stick blender
- Simmer until nicely thickened (approx 40 minutes). I usually start it at the same time as starting the dough in my breadmaking machine so that they're both ready at about the same time.
[/list]
+
krzyz21
post 21.Aug.2009, 08:11 AM
Post #6

Perfect Irishmark,

I think my mistake with mozzarella is that, I slice it and I guess, it still holds that water, may be crumbling it would solve the issue. I will give it a try.

Pizza sauce, the sauce that I make is similar to what you said but its more on DIY side, saving couple of kroners.

Economy ain't good yet, gotta save some (for rainy days, if any, hope not)
+
Zoolander428
post 21.Aug.2009, 08:19 AM
Post #7

I usually use the pre-grated mozzarella - it's a lot drier than the balls, but the flavor isn't quite as nice... just easier.

If I use the balls, I'll crumble it and squeeze in paper towels to get as much water out as possible. Seems to work well.

Then just add some parmesan on top... and delicious!
+
kmbr
post 17.Oct.2009, 08:28 PM
Post #8

Yeah, I buy the pre-grated as well.

What do you all use for dough?
+
Ebco
post 17.Oct.2009, 09:59 PM
Post #9

Try some cream cheese like Philadelphia.
+
mudpuddlestomper
post 18.Oct.2009, 11:08 AM
Post #10

I use ricotta cheese mixed with an egg.
I sprinkle the top with basil.
It's delicious and moist!
Good luck smile.gif
+
EtoileBrilliant
post 19.Oct.2009, 12:27 PM
Post #11

We have home made pizzas every Sunday. Out of the pre-grated varieties I'd go with Emanthal. Why not cook the pizza without the cheese (or just a small amount) and cut up fresh mozerella, basil and proscuittio ham after the pizza has been cooked. Much better experience.

Go to Bunkebergs Bageri in Normalm and they do the best pizza dough money can buy for about 25 SEK including sauce.
+
frey
post 19.Oct.2009, 09:33 PM
Post #12

i like a mozzarella/provalone/feta mix, but i have to try the riccota-egg blend.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: