The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

3D-artist looking for work

Looking for a job before moving to Sweden

Cassidy
post 23.Feb.2013, 09:26 AM
Post #1

I'm an EU citizen, I've started studying Swedish on my own and expect to be close to fluent in a couple of months. I've got a friend in Sweden who told me that it would be difficult to find a job if I'm not in Sweden myself. Probably not impossible, but difficult. However, I can't just up and move without a solid job offer, my finances would not support it.

Does anyone have any experience or advice about this? Is it possible to find a job by cold-call emailing and showing my portfolio? Or do I need to travel to Sweden first?

Also, if anyone has any experience with the 3D graphics job market, I would be beyond grateful for any info you can share. I'm not really looking at Stockholm, because of the high cost of living. I'd prefer to get an entry-level position in a smaller town and work up from there.
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 23.Feb.2013, 09:57 AM
Post #2

You should have no problem seeing that you are a genius being fluent in Swedish after a few months of self study.
+
Cassidy
post 23.Feb.2013, 10:10 AM
Post #3

Okay, I'm sorry if that sounded a little overconfident, but I do have some experience with languages. Swedish will be the 8th language I know, and I have worked for a few years teaching English. I have a natural talent for languages, but I also know exactly how to study and what I need to pay attention to.

Then again, who knows, maybe those months will pass and I will not have made the progress I intended. wink.gif You are free to laugh at me then. biggrin.gif

I might not be worried about the language, but I am very worried about the prospect of finding a job. Even if I find one, I'm...stupefied by the renting situation in Sweden. Finding an apartment there seems like Kafka's Process, if judging by the things I've read so far.
+
Coolrunnings
post 23.Feb.2013, 10:14 AM
Post #4

Swedes are generally suspicious of people who know a lot of languages and are less prone to hire them. I wouldn't go bragging about it if I were you.
+
johnjohn
post 23.Feb.2013, 10:19 AM
Post #5

Best of luck to you. I simpy do not know about the 3D world. If however you are searching for an unskilled job then you will have many problems. Stick to your field of expertise as you will otherwise find it difficult to get a job.
+
Cassidy
post 23.Feb.2013, 10:19 AM
Post #6

That is so weird, but it's to be expected from what I've read about the culture. I know you're not supposed to stand out too much, or brag about things. And I wouldn't have, I just...tried to explain my situation quickly so that I'd be more likely to get constructive replies. Honestly, the language thing is so normal to me that I didn't even think it'd raise someone's red flag. So I guess that's useful feedback, too. sad.gif

Edit: Thank you both for replying, and sorry if I sounded like an ass.
+
philios33
post 23.Feb.2013, 11:23 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Cassidy @ 23.Feb.2013, 10:19 AM) *
Edit: Thank you both for replying, and sorry if I sounded like an ass.

Don't worry, johnjohn is the one that sounded like an ass smile.gif
+
polartwist
post 23.Feb.2013, 11:52 PM
Post #8

I suggest you to find a job from your country, as I have done. Don't move here without a job or money, it's not a smart choice. In 3 months, even if you are physically here, is impossible to find anything.
Subscribe to job portals, use RSS feeds for example, and send as many tailored CV as possible. If the employer will find your profile interesting is always possible to have a first interview (or a couple of them) on Skype and then a final interview here in Sweden. For me it worked in this way.

Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about the 3D graphics market.
+
Nemesis
post 24.Feb.2013, 12:24 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Cassidy @ 23.Feb.2013, 10:26 AM) *
I'm an EU citizen, I've started studying Swedish on my own and expect to be close to fluent in a couple of months. I've got a friend in Sweden who told me that it ... (show full quote)

In Sweden the 3D art jobs are not good. Salaries are very low. Starting pay is about 16000 Krona a month going up to 25000 in the best paying. Coders don't usually get more than 25000 a month, which is ridiculous.

You need to have contacts in the business in Sweden to get a job. No contacts locally, no job

There are a lot of people who have studied 3D work in various courses in Sweden who are unemployed. Companies take them on as Praktik (no wage) supposedly to try them out but fire them about two weeks before the six month period is up so they do not get a permanent job.

Wrong country for that work.

Finland, Germany and Denmark are far better for 3D work. In Sweden it is a closed shop.
+
Cassidy
post 24.Feb.2013, 01:05 AM
Post #10

Thank you very much for the replies. Not very encouraging, but at least now I know. smile.gif
+
Skugglegend
post 24.Feb.2013, 02:46 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Nemesis @ 24.Feb.2013, 12:24 AM) *
In Sweden the 3D art jobs are not good. Salaries are very low. Starting pay is about 16000 Krona a month going up to 25000 in the best paying. Coders don't usually get mor ... (show full quote)

I´m suprised because I´ve friends working with 3D graphics who has a very good salary and generally I think creative work are good paid. Yes maybe people use you in the beginning because they know you want experience but I think this is something very common in this business in many countries, not only in Sweden. But If you have some experience or If you are talented and can show an impressive portfolio I don´t believe the salaries are low. But yes...contacts can be important to get a job. What I´ve heard Kåken is the place to be If you work within media or creative wink.gif
+
Skugglegend
post 24.Feb.2013, 02:49 PM
Post #12

...or Riche wink.gif
+
Cassidy
post 24.Feb.2013, 07:25 PM
Post #13

Thank you for sharing a positive view! Although, what are Kåken and Riche? At first I thought you meant towns, but there are no towns like that in Sweden.

I've actually heard of Skövde and Umeå as good places for 3D art, especially in the game industry.
+
Nemesis
post 24.Feb.2013, 07:33 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Skugglegend @ 24.Feb.2013, 03:46 PM) *
I´m suprised because I´ve friends working with 3D graphics who has a very good salary and generally I think creative work are good paid. Yes maybe people use you in the begi ... (show full quote)

In the UK it is well paid.

In Sweden the wages for 3D work are terrible. It is extremely rare to get over 25,000krona a month in Sweden. They have 100's after each job.

An impressive portfolio means very little in Sweden in the area.

Sweden is a race to the bottom of the barrel in the area of 3D. If you want to prove me wrong, go and do it. You will find you can't.
+
ljtaylor88
post 25.Feb.2013, 12:47 PM
Post #15

Hey!

Your friend is probably right to say that the chances of finding work are slim if you are out of the country, simply because once you are here it is much easier to network (very important here!), and try to get face-to-face with the people & companies you would like to work for. Many e-mail applications go unanswered, so it's a good idea to get on the phone to follow up...and sometimes that can lead to a same day interview, especially if you contact a smaller firm. Does your friend have any contacts?

But it isn't impossible. I say, have a go, and if you're not getting any bites, move over here & have another go. You will not lose anything for trying, not at this stage. But don't be stunned, or personally affronted, if you don't get responses, it's not uncommon. I'd recommend using your friend's address as a c/o on your CV, too.

Also...you reckon you will be fluent in a couple of months, yet you are not living here? Be careful not to mistake, for example, an ability to read Swedish as approaching fluency. Speaking it, especially professionally, is an entirely different ball game, and you need to be immersed here to play it. However, if you do feel confident, I'd demonstrate it and write your CV and your covering letter in Swedish.

EDIT: There's a new EA Games studio in Gothenburg now actually, might be worth a stab? Hit 'em with your best! Oh and good luck wink.gif
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: