The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Best route to drive from UK to Sweden ?

Any tips on best ferry routes for a van ?

mark jennings
post 16.Dec.2018, 10:12 PM
Post #1

I have a Transit in the UK with some of my stuff to bring over early next year and wondered if anyone had driven over here recently and what route they found was most cost and time effective and which ferry companies they used on which routes.
I know about the freight ferry Hull/Gothenberg but they stopped taking passengers some time ago.
Any replies from people with recent experience of this trip would be appreciated.

Also, anyone wanting anything moving either way feel free to get in touch.
Go to the top of the page
+
Björn Bear
post 17.Dec.2018, 03:38 AM
Post #2

I've always done the shuttle recently. Seems cheaper than ferry. Just PM'd you with some questions.
+
skogsbo
post 17.Dec.2018, 06:42 AM
Post #3

I've done immingham to Rotterdam. Depends where in the UK you are heading from. It cuts the corner so to speak and gives you a nights snooze so you are fresh to head off from Rotterdam at 7am ish.
+
sarcastrix
post 17.Dec.2018, 09:41 AM
Post #4

Think I've done all the surviving routes, Newcastle - Amsterdam (16 hours), Harwich - Hook (7 hours), Hull - Rotterdam (11 hours), Dover - Dunkerque to avoid the scum at Calais.

As said above, it really depends on your start and end point. From the south-east of England to the south of Sweden then the tunnel is quickest but may not be the cheapest with a van.

Another *curveball* way is to send the van on the RORO ferry from Immingham - Gothenburg or Brevik route then fly over. I've sent cars to Norway using this route (I delivered the car to the port of Immingham and the new owner picked it up a the port in Norway).
+
mark jennings
post 17.Dec.2018, 11:08 AM
Post #5

Thanks for the replies so far, I am in the south east.
+
sarcastrix
post 17.Dec.2018, 01:37 PM
Post #6

In that case, I'd opt for the DFDS Dover-Dunkirk ferry. Book in advance you'll get a better price also checkout sites such as hotukdeals for discount codes. From Dunkirk, it's a little over 750km to the German ferry ports or 1000km to the Bridge.

Load up on beer & mince pies smile.gif
+
yet another brit
post 17.Dec.2018, 02:37 PM
Post #7

There was rumour a couple of years ago that someone was going to try to reopen the Esbjerg-Harwich route, but I don't think anything ever happened. I used to use that route when I lived in Skåne. Pity it closed. The bar was always full of quality Danish piss-heads.
+
lancemate
post 19.Dec.2018, 09:03 PM
Post #8

I did Manchester to Mariestad in April of this year (and then back again 6 weeks later as I couldn't keep the car here)

I did Manchester to Dover day 1 and stayed with some friends there, Dover through the tunnel and drove to Hamburg day 2 and stayed in a hotel (Leonardo Stilhorn - highly recommended, cheap but very decent) then day 3 up to Puttgarden on the ferry to Rodby, only takes 45 mins and is about 30 euros for a car, then final stint through Denmark, across the bridge to Malmo and then up to Mariestad.)

All in it cost me about £300 each way for the ferries, trains, hotel and diesel.

Happy to answer any more questions if you have them, I did look into ferries, there was one to Holland somewhere but it didn't save any time overall so I just bit the bullet and drove the whole way.
+
mark jennings
post 19.Dec.2018, 09:54 PM
Post #9

That’s a decent reply thanks, so you just had the two ferries then ?
+
lancemate
post 21.Dec.2018, 12:46 AM
Post #10

1 ferry from puttgarden to rodby.

Dover to Calais i did the chunnel which was great, 40 mins and you're there and I didn't see any of the migrant camps or anything like that.
+
gse1986
post 23.Dec.2018, 10:31 AM
Post #11

I did Dover -> Dunkirk, then drove to Bremen the first day, stayed over night and drove Bremen to Linköping the next day via the bridge (so no more ferries).

I did want to take the Puttgarden to rodby ferry, but to get it much quicker you needed to book the exact departure time a week or so in advance...but i had no idea really how long it would take to drive there - since didn't know about traffic, how many breaks we'd need etc, and I didnt want to be sat around waiting because i'd allowed way too much time.

That said, the drive through Denmark was pretty dull. there was effectively one turn, which was a right at a roundabout after 100km or so, then was another eternity until the bridge. It also started raining a few km before Denmark, and stopped once we were over the bridge in Sweden...which didn't make the journey more enjoyable smile.gif
+
mark jennings
post 23.Dec.2018, 07:26 PM
Post #12

That might be the way to go, I,m not too bothered about a boring trip, no drama and straightforward would be good.
So about 2 days but how many miles London/Stockholm do you think ?
+
Cheeseroller
post 25.Dec.2018, 12:53 PM
Post #13

I never pre-booked the Puttgargen to Rodby ferry in either direction. Turn up, pay in the machine by credit card and join the queue to board.

I drove from Wokingham to Stockholm many years ago. I prefer not to drive more than 5 or 6 hours a day, so broke the trip up with an overnight in Aachen and then Hamburg.

From Aachen to Stockholm is just under 1500km and is a trip we've done 5 or 6 times the past 4 years. Usually we stop over in Malmo - the German roads being faster you can make better progress. Personally, I find the road between Malmo and Stockholm so boring that I prefer to do this as a separate days driving.
+
Cheeseroller
post 25.Dec.2018, 12:58 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (mark jennings @ 23.Dec.2018, 07:26 PM) *
That might be the way to go, I,m not too bothered about a boring trip, no drama and straightforward would be good.. So about 2 days but how many miles London/Stockholm do you think ?

Google maps says 1900km and nearly 24 hours. You will lose time waiting for the EuroTunnel train and Putgarden ferry, plus road works and depending in the time of the day, rush hour traffic (around Hamburg can be slow).
+
vortigern
post 29.Dec.2018, 02:31 PM
Post #15

If you get a bropass that will do you for the Puttgarden ferry as well as the Öresund bridge or HH ferry.

I've done it in a car (via Dover/Dunkirk) but might need to do in a van myself soon.

Does the Immingham/Göteborg ferry not allow you to drive if you have a van or does it have to be a proper lorry for you to do this?

On the subject of, does anyone know if a transit style van classed as a car for parking? Most places round here have that car symbol, but I'm thinking that just means anything under 3.5tons?

Best clue to that I can see is p12 here as there's no other specific symbol: https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/globalass...ing_a5_webb.pdf
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: