The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Com Hem under fire for major power outage

Cable TV and internet outage for 800,000 customers

The Local
post 6.May.2009, 09:28 AM
Post #1

The Swedish Post and Telecom Agency (Post- och telestyrelsen - PTS) is to launch an inquiry into a television, internet and IP telephony outage that affected hundreds of thousands of Comhem's customers on Tuesday evening.

Football fans all over Sweden settling down to watch the first semi final of the European Champions League were among the first to notice the downtime as they came face to face with a blank screen as kick-off loomed.

PTS said it would begin its investigation on Wednesday by requesting information from Comhem as to what had caused the outage.

330 words remaining. Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
EtoileBrilliant
post 6.May.2009, 11:48 AM
Post #2

Com Hem are a bunch of shysters. Our apartment building is wired for them and we have nothing but trouble on phone, TV and Internet.
The PTS ought to oblige all Internet providers to publish AUDITED statistics on their "downtimes".
Then we users can make an informed choice.
+
stupr
post 6.May.2009, 12:46 PM
Post #3

"The first semi final..." In fact it was the third.
This is the first time I have had any problems with Com Hem, however am shocked to learn that so many people were affected and that people were unable to contact 112.
It would be interesting to find out if anyone needed to call the emergency services during that period, and what happened as a result?
+
Tradebay
post 6.May.2009, 04:19 PM
Post #4

I've been with Comhem for about 2 years and has been a good ride. Last night was the 1st problem I've had with them in 2 years.
I still say anything is better than Telia though.
+
Englishteacher
post 6.May.2009, 07:31 PM
Post #5

buy candles and wait em out
+
missscarlet
post 6.May.2009, 08:34 PM
Post #6

There fine service they sell is crap and trying to be able to reach anyone who knows what is going on when things go wrong is a joke. There answer to every problem is we will send you a new box and cables to fix it! At one point we had 4 different service people in our home to tell us the problem was on there end not ours. The worst part was the phone was out and it cost my husband a job! In the end they called someone else. Com hem has never even tried to make restitution with us or even hear us out! We contacted a service to check into this and they also told Com Hem they needed to make compansation with us but, no they just refused to do any such thing. Pretty bad for a company who spends millions on advertising on TV, news papers, and radio, to not give us the time of day! We have been trying for sometime now to get someone to listen to our case and secure some kind of help with them but never got anyone to want to take on Com Hem because their too big they claim.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 6.May.2009, 11:43 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (missscarlet @ 6.May.2009, 09:34 PM) *
There fine service they sell is crap and trying to be able to reach anyone who knows what is going on when things go wrong is a joke. There answer to every problem is we will ... (show full quote)

their
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 7.May.2009, 07:52 AM
Post #8

Wow, that's a bummer, missscarlet.

I've been with ComHem for about four years myself, and have had no major problems (apart from the other night). And if/when I'd had any minor issues (about twice?), they were solved in a helpful, speedy and efficient way - and in English!

This is a weird one; some people think they're really bad, but some of us think they're actually quite good. There definitely seems to be a lack of consistency in their customer service anyway...
+
PageyGB
post 7.May.2009, 08:38 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (missscarlet @ 6.May.2009, 09:34 PM) *
We have been trying for sometime now to get someone to listen to our case and secure some kind of help with them but never got anyone to want to take on Com Hem because their too big they claim.

They're
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 7.May.2009, 08:40 AM
Post #10

Their they're.
Be calm.
Hem.
+
PageyGB
post 7.May.2009, 08:49 AM
Post #11

To get back on topic.

I thought Canal Digital were terrible when I had them. We had 3 different boxes and 5 different cards before it actually worked. (REALLY old boxes too from 1998).

When we moved to our new place I was Happy to get the Comhem equipment but we've had trouble with that too. Subtitles didn't work for many channels and it took another 3 boxes to sort that out.

Typically Canal Digital now give out state of the art boxes. Typical.
Comhem seems to be a lot more expensive too. Used to have all the football and Canal Movie Channels for less than I have a much smaller package now.
+
djmarko
post 7.May.2009, 09:06 AM
Post #12

bit strange though, had Com hem for 2 years and have never experienced anytrhing like this, as a man united fan, i was looking forward to the game, next thing the internet and Tv went dead, tried to call Comhem, that was dead as well, was quite lucky Kingstown in Söder were showing the match on some analog equipment so saw the game

one question though?? are there any far east betting syndicates in Stockholm?? seems rather strange!!
+
Beef
post 7.May.2009, 09:21 AM
Post #13

Maybe should be a seperate thread but here goes. Is there a good alternative to COMHEM?

I can't stand them and their service is so far behind the UK for example.. ie. HD PVR just come out and they are charging a fortune for it., still no picture in picture when using menus/guides etc.. No On Demand. I could go one..

What is the competition, if any, oneone provide better services? I used to get a load of flyers from Bredbandsbolaget but never read them, for example...
+
Jasoncarter
post 7.May.2009, 10:14 AM
Post #14

There's not a lot of choice in the Swedish market at all. It's all much of a muchness. Your best bet is to either get a satellite set up to pick up UK TV (wider selection of channels for a start) or to get a VPN connection.

The best thing I've done is subscribe to a VPN - the picture quality/compression on BBC iPlayer when viewed on my 40" telly is better than the majprity of channels crammed into Boxer's miniscule bandwith. Plus you can watch HD stuff over it now. The best 80kr a month I've spent ever.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 7.May.2009, 10:30 AM
Post #15

I switched from ComHem to Bredbandsbolaget and it was like that Carpenters song, you know, birds suddenly leapt from the trees and started singing, the sun came out, generally the world was immediately a completely better place. I calculated that in the three months I had ComHem for Internet, I spent over 10 hours holding on the phone for assistance. I also had two modems and three cables sent out, and when none of that worked they tried to claim it must be a bug in Microsoft that nobody else in Sweden (or indeed the world) had ever had before, but I had it.

I've ranted at great length previously about this so I won't go on again.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: