The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Racism at a Potential Employer

Called to interview due to name

danielbunting1990
post 29.Sep.2014, 06:42 PM
Post #1

Hello! First time poster here (read often but only posting now as something rather serious came up which I hope someone here can help me with)

My girlfriend who is born and bred in Sweden, albeit to foreign parents, applied for a job at a particular company (which I don't want to name just yet). This company usually calls their prospective employees the next day if they "fit the mold". my girlfriend, although easily qualified for the position, obviously didn't fit that mold. She applied last Monday and has since heard nothing.

Now get this, she sent in a second application yesterday, on Sunday, identical to the first one, albeit she changed her name to a Swedish one and changed her picture to that of a "native Swede". In fact, she even removed a qualification or two from her CV so that it wouldn't seem too familiar! Surprise surprise, they called her at the break of dawn this morning and offered her an interview. In other words, it seems to us that they have chosen to go forward with a less qualified native Swede, which is obviously discrimination.

To boot, my girlfriend even called them short after that asking if her original and true application had been processed yet. Surprise surprise, she didn't get it.

This is quite upsetting for her who is born and bred here and yet being treated as a total stranger who is unfit to work. I read on this website about a Romanian student who did something similar and got results by changing his name on his CV and made a case with the discrimination authority.

What should we do? We are thinking of going to the interview tomorrow and bringing their activities to light for a start, but my girlfriend feels shamed to say the least.
Go to the top of the page
+
Emerentia
post 29.Sep.2014, 06:50 PM
Post #2

Call Aftonbladet or Expressen, they usually like stories like this.
+
LLHope
post 29.Sep.2014, 07:06 PM
Post #3

So, you changed the picture, the name and qualifications... That is NOT identical then is it. biggrin.gif

Maybe the pic was a better looking chick, or maybe the original qualifications were too much ...if you want to do a control experiment then change only 1 variable at a time wink.gif
+
Case officer
post 29.Sep.2014, 07:10 PM
Post #4

Interesting, but this won't hold up in court since your girlfriend was asked for an interview.
+
danielbunting1990
post 29.Sep.2014, 07:29 PM
Post #5

Case Officer it looks like you didn't even read what I wrote, my girlfriend was told she WOULD NOT get an interview. The fake alias we used did.

Also, as to what the other guy said, it's against the law to hire someone based on their name or looks. By the way the job is for PHONE SUPPORT i.e. no face-to-face contact with customers.
+
danielbunting1990
post 29.Sep.2014, 07:31 PM
Post #6

And by the way we only removed one small qualification in English, nothing major. 99% of the CV was the same. I think most of you don't get that.
+
LLHope
post 29.Sep.2014, 07:32 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (danielbunting1990 @ 29.Sep.2014, 06:29 PM) *
Also, as to what the other guy said, it's against the law to hire someone based on their name or looks. By the way the job is for PHONE SUPPORT i.e. no face-to-face contact with customers.

As I said, change only 1 variable... You choose to believe it was because of name or looks but ignore your own fact that you changed the qualifications also. Sometimes (and more often than you realise) people are ignored in the selection because they are over-qualified and might leave when something better comes along.
+
danielbunting1990
post 29.Sep.2014, 07:34 PM
Post #8

Oh and we also sent in the exact same personal letter, word for word.
+
LLHope
post 29.Sep.2014, 08:08 PM
Post #9

If your opening post is correct then the first application didn't get any kind of response, so You cannot even say it was read let alone rejected for whatever reason. Nice try trolling though wink.gif
+
danielbunting1990
post 29.Sep.2014, 08:20 PM
Post #10

Did you even bother reading all of what I wrote?

"To boot, my girlfriend even called them short after that asking if her original and true application had been processed yet. Surprise surprise, she didn't get it."

Meaning we thought of this after they called to give our fake alias the job, and they rejected her real CV immediately.
+
danielbunting1990
post 29.Sep.2014, 08:22 PM
Post #11

Also funny that you dismiss anything that interrupts the seemingly perfect world you live in as trolling, pillock.
+
intrepidfox
post 29.Sep.2014, 08:23 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (LLHope @ 29.Sep.2014, 08:08 PM) *
If your opening post is correct then the first application didn't get any kind of response, so You cannot even say it was read let alone rejected for whatever reason. Nice try trolling though wink.gif

I agree with you. Many employees receive hundreds off applicants and many letters are not read at all as they simply have not got the time
+
danielbunting1990
post 29.Sep.2014, 08:29 PM
Post #13

I see your point, but how do you explain that they had time to read this application at the crack of dawn on a Monday morning? But not last Monday? Also, as I said, she called them after getting invited to interview to see if her original application had been officially denied and it had.
+
köttbulle med sås
post 29.Sep.2014, 08:32 PM
Post #14

The racism allready starts in SE when they want you to speak perfectly swedish, even for a job as dishwasher in a hotel!!!
Completely absurd...but thats reality.

Take that.
+
intrepidfox
post 29.Sep.2014, 08:38 PM
Post #15

+

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: