The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Novi Sad, Serbia

Anyone been?

Amber Dawn
post 5.Mar.2012, 11:42 AM
Post #1

My mother-in-law is turning 60 in July and the family wanted to take her on a little trip to celebrate. I am the only American in the family, so ANY country was just fine by me and I left it up to the Europeans. Another stamp in the passport is always a plus and I haven't really been anywhere but the US, Sweden, Mexico and airports. lol No one wanted to spend a lot of money and didn't want to have to travel too far. We threw around several ideas and they ended up on Serbia. (My brother-in-law's family travels to Serbia a few times a year for ministry work and they love it, have acquaintances there and are familiar with the city .) Of all the places we could have gone in Europe, Serbia wouldn't have been in my top 25, just for reasons of ignorance. I know nothing about it.

Has anyone been? Is there anything specific you would suggest to do? Have I been rooked into a super bad trip? We're spending 5 days at a small boutique hotel in July.
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 5.Mar.2012, 01:39 PM
Post #2

Excellent choice! Eastern Europe is great, lot's of fun for your money, stunning scenery, interesting culture. Best of all, a unique chance to get rid of some of that (American) ignorance rolleyes.gif .

More seriously, I'd take any chance to spend a few days in a location like that in a company of semi-locals or locals. You'll get so much more out of that trip smile.gif .

~~~PDX~~~
+
klubbnika
post 5.Mar.2012, 02:28 PM
Post #3

West Europeans are not less ignorant, in my experience.

How many can tell Slovenia from Slovakia??? Latvia from Lithuania?

Many of them even do not know that these coutries exist.
+
SimonDMontfort
post 5.Mar.2012, 03:24 PM
Post #4

Hi Amber Dawn

I visited Subotica (in Serbia) for a ‘long weekend break’ some years ago now – and would recommend it. There was a laid back pace of life everywhere, and one of Subotica's characteristics is the Hungarian-style Art Nouveau architecture (Serbia used to be part of the Austro-Hungarian empire), much of it built in the early 20th Century. If you're interested in architecture...

However, I later visited the Dalmatian coast, and like that more. All down to personal preference..

Enjoy yourself/ves
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: