The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Temporary Personnummer??? Help

Keeney
post 16.Sep.2008, 10:03 AM
Post #1

I recently moved from Ireland to Sweden (4 days). I've read a lot of the posts relating to applying for a Personnummer etc. But I've found a job and my employer won't take a risk and give me a job before I get my Personnummer.

So can I get a temporary (opposed to a six week wait)one issued in the mean time???
Go to the top of the page
+
bonjour
post 16.Sep.2008, 10:18 AM
Post #2

There's no such thing as a temporary personnummer. You either have one or you don't. But I don't understand why you should have to wait six weeks, as getting one is just a formality.

And as you are from an EU country, and therefore have the right to reside and work in Sweden, your employer has no risks in taking you on.
+
Keeney
post 16.Sep.2008, 10:21 AM
Post #3

LEGALLY YOU CANNOT WORK WITHOUT A PERSONNUMMER
+
*Ghost In The Machine*
post 16.Sep.2008, 10:24 AM
Post #4

erm, you can.

First pay cheque looked a bit odd... but then it was only for 8 days wages.

and it is not a 6 week wait. It took me about 3/4 days to get one.
+
Smultron
post 16.Sep.2008, 10:52 AM
Post #5

I am also from Ireland - I got my personnummer less than 2 weeks after I arrived.
+
jones2
post 16.Sep.2008, 10:57 AM
Post #6

You can (and should be given) a samordningsnummer, which is a temporary personnummer. They are breaking the law if they refuse to give you a job because you are from another EU country (which is essentially what we are talking about here). They are emphatically not breaking the law by giving you a job without a personnummer.
+
Spr
post 16.Sep.2008, 10:57 AM
Post #7

Keeney,

You don't have to wait 6 weeks. Tell them you need it for a job and you can actually go back to office you requested it and they can give you it in person. This should only take a few days. And your emplyer can employ you without breaking any laws, I worked in a bar when I first arrived and didn't have my personnummer until after a month later.

Having said that, like most Swedish companies, you will be told something different from everyone...just wait till you try and get a bank account!
+
Keeney
post 16.Sep.2008, 12:30 PM
Post #8

So can I apply for a samordningsnummer before i register with with the swedish migration board? I was under the impression that i had to wait to get a certificate from the migration board before i applied for a personnummer!
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Sep.2008, 12:34 PM
Post #9

You don't even need to be a resident to get a samordningsnummer; it is only for tax purposes.

If plan to stay more than a year you should apply for personnummer though.
+
Johno
post 16.Sep.2008, 12:48 PM
Post #10

But read posts under other headings. This is the message from all previous postings.

The sammordningsnummer will get you out of your present hole ie get you registered with the tax system and able to get your employer to take you on. The employer is being careful, ie he will know you are legit if the tax people have ok'd you, you are an EU citizen etc etc. But that temporary number will be a hindrance in normal living in Sweden not a help. As someone else said wait till you try and get a bank account with that number. Once you have a job the easy way might be to ask for your employers help to get a bank account.

And once you have the job, however short a time you intend to stay go to the migration people and register with them. You will need a residence permit after 3 months anyway so go now to then get a full personnummer as soon as possible. Just say you have a job and intend to stay on. Certainly dont let them think its short term whatever you intend. Again as said you are entitled to the personnummer. Read round other posts as how to get ID.

As others have said you are entitled to work in Sweden, its beating the burocracy - its "just" a time scale thing as to what route you go.
+
Keeney
post 16.Sep.2008, 01:04 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Keeney)
thanks to all the above for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate it. :wink:
. I'm a bit anxious as I badly need a job.
+
Keeney
post 16.Sep.2008, 01:06 PM
Post #12

:wink:
+
Johno
post 16.Sep.2008, 01:07 PM
Post #13

See minor change to my previous post.

hope all goes well.

Edited-in afterthought.

Discuss almost needs a permanent topic running along the lines what you need to survive and stay in Sweden. First of all Personnummer, Residence Permit and ID and how to get them. Though EU residents are almost always entitled to these there are hoops to go through.

One of my reference points has been the Aussie site

http://www.coolabah.com/sweden/index.html

Does anyone know a better ?
+
Spr
post 16.Sep.2008, 01:34 PM
Post #14

When I arrived from the UK, I went to the Skateverket (or whatever the Swedish tax thing is), filled in one form and he said my personnumer would be posted to me within 3 weeks. I only needed my passport.

I also told him I needed it sooner than that for work and he said come back next week and they gave me it in person 'over the counter'.

Easy
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: