The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Picture on CV?

Yes or No?

Nini
post 25.Jun.2017, 09:22 PM
Post #1

Hello, I am getting ready for my big move to Sweden. Just received my work/residence permit through my fiance. I am a Master's level professional from the US in the process of applying for jobs. In the US it is not appropriate to add a picture of yourself on your CV/Resume. What's the take on that in Sweden? I have read a few mixed views on this. The sweden.se website has sample CVs and they all have a picture of the applicant...please help!
Go to the top of the page
+
the_dome
post 25.Jun.2017, 09:39 PM
Post #2

Well in theory HR are not racist but in practice they are (not all of them). You will have much better chances of getting a job if you are white with blonde/brown hair and with sound western name. This ofc doesn't matter if you are from Ivy League college.
+
mjennin2
post 26.Jun.2017, 10:02 AM
Post #3

My husband has his picture on his resume. Makes me absolutely cringe rolleyes.gif

He is Swedish and works in supply chain management, in case that helps contribute to the conundrum at all. Personally, as a professional, I would never put my picture on my resume, but... "when in Rome"?
+
Martian
post 26.Jun.2017, 10:38 AM
Post #4

If you are black, forget the idea even if they tell you to. At least, get to the interview first before they knock you off because of your color. This sounds racist but its the reality in this "special" part of the world. There are several hurdles to cross when you are not a blonde blue-eyed Svensson. It all start from your CV. But if you are one of those whiz programmers or if your skill-sets are one in several thousands, it doesn't really matter. They can even beg to get you if that is the case.
+
Gjeebes
post 26.Jun.2017, 10:44 AM
Post #5

In addition, if you are coloured, your best option to fit in with Sweden's opinion-corridor is to white pixelate your picture.

That is anti-racist Sweden's preferred method of respecting different cultures and races, i.e. to just pretend everyone is white.

Also, change your name to something like Jerker Meatballsson, and you'll be "golden"!

: )
+
Mib
post 26.Jun.2017, 11:44 AM
Post #6

Be honest and up front about who you are. Of course you can play on your experience to make it sound better. I personally wouldn't add a picture unless the job demanded good looks for a job ie. model, fashion etc.

Networking in Sweden at Universities, local groups etc will be a good route to follow. I remember a lady from Africa who got a job while studying at college in Sweden as she had a positive attitude, was knowledgeable, which led to one of the teachers putting her in touch with a local Company.
+
the_austrian
post 26.Jun.2017, 12:28 PM
Post #7

Hi,

I applied for a job in Sweden that asked to please submit a photo on the CV. The job was in account management. I always place a photo onto my CV.

Best wishes
+
Genaro
post 26.Jun.2017, 02:25 PM
Post #8

Do not use a photo, this just gives the recruiter another route to discriminate against you based on appearance. This is best left to the interview!!
+
Bsmith
post 26.Jun.2017, 07:32 PM
Post #9

I always use someone else's picture on my resume.
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 26.Jun.2017, 08:15 PM
Post #10

Everyone are so quick to judge and call it racism, but maybe they just want to see how the person presents themself? It helps them with the elimination process if they get hundreds of applicants and don't want to interview every single person, then they can just reject in advance all the scruffy, half-asleep stoners and douchey-looking people. Wouldn't it make your job easier if you were in their position? Of course looks aren't everything, but it's still important especially if your role is dealing with people and representing the company.
+
LLHope
post 28.Jun.2017, 08:19 PM
Post #11

Photos on CVs are frowned upon in the USA because the employers do not want to open the door to false claims of discrimination based upon the photo. That aside, whilst there are those here that claim Sweden is racist and request photo to exclude you, I would ask why add a photo? We all have our personal bias, not racially based, some people can be absolutely competent but just look dodgy etc... so why add something to a CV that potentially can have you rejected before your CV is even read? Why divert the attention of the 6 seconds used to scan a CV for 20% of the time to a photo rather than the real reason why the employer should choose you? rolleyes.gif
+
Bsmith
post 28.Jun.2017, 08:50 PM
Post #12

I had a professor in college who would give Abraham Lincoln nightmares. He was the best teacher I ever had. Looks ain't everything.
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 28.Jun.2017, 11:15 PM
Post #13

I'm Asian but I wouldn't have a problem including a photo if someone asked. If they did reject me for being Asian, then they aren't the kind of people I want to work for anyway. My CV shows my full Chinese name and I've never used an English alternative. I don't have much to hide and don't see the point in trying to hide. Still managed to find me an awesome job with awesome people in Sweden.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 29.Jun.2017, 12:30 AM
Post #14

No picture...

A little curiosity/mystery goes a long way...
+
BhuBhuKaZoo
post 29.Jun.2017, 02:21 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Mistress_Of_Doom @ 29.Jun.2017, 12:15 AM) *
I'm Asian but I wouldn't have a problem including a photo if someone asked. If they did reject me for being Asian, then they aren't the kind of people I want to wo ... (show full quote)

Exactly! Nothing wrong with a picture being with your CV (a lot of companies ask for it alongside).
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: