The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Tents to provide shelter for refugees

150,000 expected by the end of the year

Billy_UK
post 9.Oct.2015, 10:52 AM
Post #1

http://www.thelocal.se/20151009/tents-to-p...ugees-in-sweden

When is this going to stop? Around 80,000 have arrived so far this year, which means they're expecting at least another 70,000 with nowhere to put them. A large portion of them complain about actual bricks and mortar accommodation, so what makes them think they're going to willingly sleep in a tent surrounded by snow in temperatures way below freezing? At the news conference they also spoke about fast tracking Syrian teachers so they can be put in schools quicker and teach the refugee children. How is this going to help with integration?

I honestly can't believe they're ACTUALLY going to house them in tents.
Go to the top of the page
+
Zakalwe
post 9.Oct.2015, 12:26 PM
Post #2

Maybe it is about sending a message to the refugees. "Sure, you refugees are still welcome. But you will have to live in tents. In winter. In Sweden. Think about it..."
+
LLHope
post 9.Oct.2015, 02:12 PM
Post #3

Being realistic, since the politicians and media are continually mentioning the UN Convention for refugees and mentioning the WW2 ... if you follow the convention requirements then it actually means just a tent and food.
+
littleviking
post 9.Oct.2015, 02:51 PM
Post #4

Maybe if they know they will have to live in tents will stop them coming here.
+
littleviking
post 9.Oct.2015, 02:51 PM
Post #5

Above kiruna its a shit load of space to put 70,000 tents
+
intrepidfox
post 9.Oct.2015, 04:16 PM
Post #6

I would send them back to Turkey straight away. They seek asylum here and there but these people wandering around Europe are a con and pathetic. War is terrible but if i fled that situation i would go and stay in the first country of safety not look for the best deal
+
mjennin2
post 9.Oct.2015, 04:27 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 9.Oct.2015, 03:16 PM) *
War is terrible but if i fled that situation i would go and stay in the first country of safety not look for the best deal

But...are you really sure of that? Because it isn't a piece of cake seeking refuge anywhere, I imagine. And people in that region have seen friends and relatives seek refuge in surrounding countries and have heard all about the tent cities and bad conditions and overcrowding...

Think about it. If you lived in HellHole, Syria and Germany was like, "Heeyyyy, come on down, we're gonna give you all you could possibly dream for!" ...would you not go? Or at least send your strongest relative to make the journey and then file for you to join?
+
intrepidfox
post 9.Oct.2015, 04:41 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (mjennin2 @ 9.Oct.2015, 04:27 PM) *
But...are you really sure of that? Because it isn't a piece of cake seeking refuge anywhere, I imagine. And people in that region have seen friends and relatives seek re ... (show full quote)

If i lived in HellHole i would go to the first place that was safe and be glad that i was safe from all the destruction. Not wander around Europe. I certainaly would not leave my wife and kids in hell, i would send them first. And why should we, the tax payer give a life which you could dream for when the welfare system, schools, education etc are suffering cuts after cuts
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 9.Oct.2015, 04:47 PM
Post #9

It sounds like "Obama Care" has taken hold in Europe too!!! angry.gif
+
mjennin2
post 9.Oct.2015, 05:14 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 9.Oct.2015, 03:41 PM) *
And why should we, the tax payer give a life which you could dream for when the welfare system, schools, education etc are suffering cuts after cuts

Don't get me wrong - I agree with you completely on this line item. But tax payers clearly didn't get a say in this matter. From an asylum-seekers perspective, Angela Merkel gave them an all-inclusive "arms wide open" pass into the continent. As for not leaving your wife and children, there is also the danger of actually, physically GETTING to Europe. Ie, the "sea of death" boat ride. So you would need to factor that into the equation as well - you may wish to leave your family in relative safety somewhere, and take the journey yourself.

As for wandering around Europe, probably a lot better (with social services, better "living accommodations", potentially less overcrowding) than wandering around Africa and the middle east. Fewer terrorist attacks. No immediate threat of ISIS invading or some ally bombing in or near your refuge camp...
+
yet another brit
post 9.Oct.2015, 05:27 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (mjennin2 @ 9.Oct.2015, 05:14 PM) *
Ie, the "sea of death" boat ride.

Depends which way you go - Bodrum to Kos is not exactly a vast distance...

Maybe Sweden made a mistake a few years ago by automatically giving Syrians permission to stay. Or maybe history will say Sweden was the only humanitarian place in Europe. Who knows...
+
intrepidfox
post 9.Oct.2015, 05:30 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (mjennin2 @ 9.Oct.2015, 05:14 PM) *
Don't get me wrong - I agree with you completely on this line item. But tax payers clearly didn't get a say in this matter. From an asylum-seekers perspective, Angela ... (show full quote)

War is terrible and politicains never ever learn. From Turkey people could before go by land but they chose boats. Concerning Europe why should be pay (should we also suffer), how many ISIS and other scumbags are on the way without security checks? It
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 9.Oct.2015, 05:35 PM
Post #13

Islam always wanted Europe, they spent a lot of lives to conquer it, then got thrown out...They are back in droves without firing a shot...

Wait 20 years, probably a lot less...you'll see!!!
+
intrepidfox
post 9.Oct.2015, 05:46 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Gamla H?lsingebock @ 9.Oct.2015, 05:35 PM) *
Islam always wanted Europe, they spent a lot of lives to conquer it, then got thrown out...They are back in droves without firing a shot...Wait 20 years, probably a lot less. ... (show full quote)

Funny enough i?m reading a book about Saladin and Richard The Lion Heart and how the pope wanted crusader to take Jerusulem etc. Even the Jew joined forces with the muslims to get rid of the catholics which were barbarians
+
mjennin2
post 9.Oct.2015, 06:07 PM
Post #15

[quote name='intrepidfox' post='875438' date='9.Oct.2015, 04:30 PM']War is terrible and politicains never ever learn. From Turkey people could before go by land but they chose boats. Concerning Europe why should be pay (should we also suffer), how many ISIS and other scumbags are on the way without security checks? It
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: