The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Swedish Dental Care

Who is doing what

Gchinese
post 12.Jul.2012, 06:17 AM
Post #1

I recently got a hole in one of my teeth that is giving so much pain. Never having had any contact with the swedish dental care system, I went online to check what was available.

First to Vardguiden. It gave me City Dental in stockholm as an acute resort. I heard some bad reputations about City Dental, so I decided to skip that and see what else were available. Then I got in to Folktandvard which I believe was a publically run dental care system but when I called them, they told me I have to wait 5 to 10 years in order to be able to get registered. Uncomprehensible.

Then I saw on the their webpage, there was this Last minute booking, basically they give out all the vacancies avaiable due to cancellations. Desparate to fix my tooth, I booked the only one open which was at Bromma Sjukhus even though it is quite far from where I live. Well just after I booked that, I saw there is actually an acute dental clinic that Folktandvard has in Kungsholmen, St. Eriks hospital which is actually within walking distance to where I live. But since I can not really cancel my Bromma booking (cancellation must be 24 hours before), I thought I would go for it anyway.

20 hours later, I went to my appointment in Bromma Sjukhus but they only gave me a rough checking, by a dental hygeinist, even though on their website it says it will be done by a dental doctor. After about 10 minutes, she told me I have some teeth that need to be cleaned and that one tooth has a fraction. She said I need to make another appointment to fix it. She recommended me to go to St. Erik actue. Fine with me. Then I asked if I can use her exam results for St. Erik so that I do not have to do it again and pay another time for examination. She said no, you can not do this. I said aren't you in the same Folktandvard system. She said no. Then I asked what is the deal? She said if I want to use the result done at Bromma, I can only have an appointment in Bromma which may take at least another 3 weeks to get. Otherwise, I can go to St. Erik, get it fixed but may have to pay again for their own examination.

???? So what is this? Dental care is damn expensive. I can not just walk around, double paying for another exam which was already clearly identified with this current exam - a hole/fraction in my tooth!

Then I talked with a swedish friend. Guess what he said? He said you could have just gone to City Dental in the first place. They would have got you checked and fixed at one time for above the same fee.

Ok, and what about all those private dental clinics all around the town? He said they probably would do it much quicker with not much higher fee also.

Well, I start to feel very stupid and blind about how really the dental care works here and who is doing what, what is the best to do? Anyone please help to light it up for me?

It is both the pain in the tooth and pain of money that I am having now:-), plus maybe one more pain of not knowing:-)
Go to the top of the page
+
canuk
post 12.Jul.2012, 06:42 AM
Post #2

hey loser. if your tooth is in pain, go to the emergency care like you already mentioned. you pay more but that means you have no pain in your tooth. instead you write a long bunch of BS on the local complaining. Very intelligent.
+
CCVB
post 12.Jul.2012, 07:23 AM
Post #3

Yes Canuk, because going online and insult people is a very intelligent thing to do, freaking troll!

The dental system in Sweden is complicated, the guy is just wondering how it exactly works, how to see a real dentist that is not going to butcher you and make things worse without losing a month's salary, nothing "loser" about that, loser is the one who insults others for no apparent reason thinking he is actually intelligent ... moron
+
Migga
post 12.Jul.2012, 08:28 AM
Post #4

So you go online and search for a place to fix your tooth and pain. You find a perfect place for it right away. But then you decide to search somewhere else and overcomplicate things for yourself. And when you are in the middle of it you find it to be too much. You then proceed to make a thread here and name it swedish dental care. Is this correct?

You ask for someone to clear things up for you and how things work, I`d say that you should turn to your swedish friend who already told you almost everything.
+
texaslass
post 12.Jul.2012, 09:15 AM
Post #5

Wow! What totally unhelpful responses to a person who just asks for help!

Life in Sweden is tough. Sweden is not an easy place in which to live. Give the guy a break!

Unfortunately, I have no answer for the OP.
+
Migga
post 12.Jul.2012, 09:27 AM
Post #6

And your response is so much better? Life in any country where you haven`t lived in before is tough. I would say that Sweden is alot easier to live in then alot of other countries around the world. We are talking about a busted tooth not life or death, what breaks should one give?

Atleast I gave an asware to the OP, you didn`t. I stand by my tip to turn towards swedish friends or colleagues for information instead of a forum which holds bitter sweden bashers.
+
PDX
post 12.Jul.2012, 09:30 AM
Post #7

Agree totally with the City Dental option. Walk in, get your teeth fixed, pay, walk out. Have used them myself on multiple occasions, though admittedly only for dental hygienist's services.

~~~PDX~~~
+
Puffin
post 12.Jul.2012, 10:01 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Gchinese @ 12.Jul.2012, 07:17 AM) *
I recently got a hole in one of my teeth that is giving so much pain. Never having had any contact with the swedish dental care system, I went online to check what was availab ... (show full quote)

Unfortunately it is not always easy to find walking-in emergency dental care during the summer holiday periods when staffing levels are reduced - most places give priority to their own registered patients - but I gather you are not registered anywhere?

Perhaps it would be a good idea to register with a dentist - they usually can get an emergency appointment to one of their registered patients within 24 hours
+
byke
post 12.Jul.2012, 10:30 AM
Post #9

I am quite disgusted with some of the replies on this thread.
I really hope the OP finds a solution.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 12.Jul.2012, 11:43 AM
Post #10

All dental care in Sweden is run as private corporations, including Folktandvården AB. They all have more or less the same prices, and only a fraction of the costs are subsidized by the government.

If you have an emergency you look up an emergency dental clinic in the yellow pages and do the whole procedure there.
Clinics do not have a common computer system and therefore you cannot have the check-up and the fix at different clinics.
+
cogito
post 13.Jul.2012, 03:21 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Migga @ 12.Jul.2012, 08:27 AM) *
And your response is so much better? Life in any country where you haven`t lived in before is tough...... turn towards swedish friends or colleagues for information instea ... (show full quote)

Oh, the irony.
And I hate the bitter haters of Swedish bitter bashers.
+
cogito
post 13.Jul.2012, 03:26 PM
Post #12

To the OP.
As you have learned the hard way, Sweden in July is no time to need a dentist.
The private vs public option is indeed confusing. Folktandvården, the so-called public option, is not necessarily better than the private, and, as with public healthcare, access is difficult and involves long waits.

At St Erik, it's luck of the draw. Some are good; some not. But this is equally true at Ftv. You might as well go to City Dental and take your chances there.

The unhelpfulness compounded by unpleasantness demonstrated by replies #2 and #4 are good examples of what Sweden does to some people.

Good luck.
+
Migga
post 13.Jul.2012, 06:51 PM
Post #13

What is unhelpfull and unpleasant in the #4 post? I think I gave a helpfull tip when suggesting that the OP could turn to swedish friends or colleagues.
+
Gchinese
post 23.Jul.2012, 11:28 AM
Post #14

Wow, what a discussion besides dental care. Those people who have so much anger about my post, you could have just let it go and not bother to answer instead of hurting yourself by being so angry. I feel sorry for you, truly.

Yes maybe I make things complicated for myself but I never had any contact with the swedish dental system. I just know every time I walk in, it is several thousands washed away. By posting here, I wished I could learn better from people who have experiences and have a smarter choice the next time it happens. I thought that is the purpose of this forum. For this reason, I thank those who helped or meant to help.

Spending your time in front of the computer only to lash people who look for help makes you the biggest loser of all.
+
axel123
post 6.Nov.2012, 12:45 PM
Post #15

Sometimes it happens that patient has to face many problems regarding their treatment or for contacting any required doctor or dentist. If anyone is new to the city, always take the advice of a local person and also try to read reviews related to the doctor.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: