The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

You're talking about Stockholm, not Sweden

About the whining

goawai
post 20.Mar.2012, 11:38 AM
Post #1

Is it only me that reacts when people start their usual bash-sweden rants and mention that they live in Stockholm?

As far as I've noticed, most of the things people here hate are regional to the stockholm area - stuff I've even heard native swedes complain about when they've been visiting Stockholm.

Is my observation correct; that Stockholm is the city of assholes, or is it just sweden in general?

(yes, this is a bash stockholm thread, instead of bash sweden... slight improvement perhaps laugh.gif)
Go to the top of the page
+
Ambre
post 20.Mar.2012, 11:45 AM
Post #2

Sweden in general...Im in Katrineholm, people are as shit as when I lived in Stockholm! Swedes are shitty people living in a shitty country! End of...
+
skogsbo
post 20.Mar.2012, 11:58 AM
Post #3

and what great nation are you from? I presume you've gone home if it's so bad here?

I think most capital cities have folk who view life differently, but that's because for most it's not their home town, work and the social lifestyle is always very different to anywhere else. Life in general is also more time pressured in cities too.
+
johnjohn
post 20.Mar.2012, 12:05 PM
Post #4

I do not know the cities. My experience living in the countryside has been really great. I find most of the people very friendly and helpful. Perhaps Ambre should either move to the country or at least be careful not to let the door hit her ass on the way out of Sweden.
+
Localer
post 20.Mar.2012, 12:09 PM
Post #5

some of them are just lousy losers, you make the choice, so stick with your choice, if you hate it so much, go back to where you belong...nobody forcing you to stay!

i love Stockholm...
+
skogsbo
post 20.Mar.2012, 12:12 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (johnjohn @ 20.Mar.2012, 11:05 AM) *
I do not know the cities. My experience living in the countryside has been really great.

same here, but then when I have been in the bright lights of big cities I have never had any issues either, they are different and little less personal, but with a few 100,000 people living there what do you expect.
I think as far as people go, the look on your face and the tone of your voice when you meet or deal with other people, immediately dictates what kind of reception you are going to get in return. Judging by 'Ambres' few words here, she was getting the kind of feedback she deserved.
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 20.Mar.2012, 12:31 PM
Post #7

I find people who complain about Sweden and Stockholm are almost always acting as if they should be other cities or countries.

Stockholm is not London or New York or even Oshkosh, so stopping acting as if it is or should be. Instead of looking for 42nd Street, Hyde Park, or the iron mines, take advantage of its wonderful museums and zoo, walks, shops, eating establishments, etc.

While I hardly go there now, finding Lidingö satisfies most of my needs, it just takes about 15 minutes to get there. And Lidingö has many more aspects than one would associate with the usual suburban town. I particularly like my new bird feeder just outside the window of this office where I am, and I can see all kinds of tits - great ones, blue ones, coal ones, long-tailed ones, etc laugh.gif .

Posters who bad-mouth them are just showing how limited they are as people.
+
Mib
post 20.Mar.2012, 01:00 PM
Post #8

It's very easy...if you really don't like it, LEAVE!! I'm sure there is some paradise that fits your perfect world. Anyway...it is natural to complain about a new place if you have come from a culturally different place. Sweden/Stockholm is strong enough to take the criticism justified or not smile.gif.

Every country, every culture, every person including you and me have faults, imperfections and in some cases intolerable issues...but hey we normally have a choice. It could be worse...and you're stuck in Afghanistan with the Taliban threatening you because you're listening to western music or if you're a woman educating yourself using text books. That is the reality compared to our ivory tower.

Accept the imperfections of life and for those issues that are just too big to ignore, protest, get into politics or earn enough money to influence and/or change peoples lives. If all else fails leave. Alternatively, do a video just like the guy who did the Kony film...but only do it if you are can take the criticism that inevitably comes with the mass media attention.
+
StephenR
post 20.Mar.2012, 04:15 PM
Post #9

I think it is a bit of a Stockholm / big city thing and I would be willing to bet that the same issue is found in every country. I'm in "rural" Stockholm, in Årsta Havsbad and even here, it's quiet noticeable how friendlier and more approachable the full-time residents are as opposed to the holiday homers.
+
byke
post 20.Mar.2012, 04:20 PM
Post #10

I find it amazing how if something doesn't work or has a clear discrepancy, that its often coined to the term "bashing" by anyone who happens to express such views in the English language. Then followed by the usual ultimatum of "leave!", if you don't like it.

I like different.
But it's apparent others don't.

If we saw similar rules applied to this forum as we do in society, I wonder why we don't see such users of the term "bashing" leave under the same moral rules they apear not to adhere to?

#potkettleblack
+
Snood
post 20.Mar.2012, 05:17 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (byke @ 20.Mar.2012, 04:20 PM) *
I find it amazing how if something doesn't work or has a clear discrepancy, that its often coined to the term "bashing" by anyone who happens to express such vie ... (show full quote)

I find it quite annoying that every time someone expresses their displeasure about something in Sweden that the binary-viewed "don't like something? leave" squad pipe up.

It's not as clear as that though is it? Stay and don't complain about anything or leave and complain about stuff... you can't go through being in Sweden and not complain about some things, just like anywhere else. and before the leave squad say it, Yes, I know there's perhaps a disproportionately high percentage of threads/posts on here with a complaint/complaining tone, but remember there are many reasons why someone might be here, and continuing to live here.
+
Stebro
post 20.Mar.2012, 05:30 PM
Post #12

My opinion as a swede is that most cities are "personal" compared to Stockholm. Stockholm is the result of capitalism and competition. Humans don't matter as much.
+
cbgbg
post 20.Mar.2012, 07:08 PM
Post #13

I heard this saying from Swedes many years ago.

The best thing about Stockholm is the train to Göteborg
+
Svensksmith
post 20.Mar.2012, 07:33 PM
Post #14

Most Stockholmers I met thought that Öland was ute på vischan. Most ölandsk thought the null åttor a bit snobbish. Kinda like the Chicagoans think of the people from Wisconsin and vice versa.
+
byke
post 20.Mar.2012, 07:45 PM
Post #15

I was in the south of Sweden a couple of days ago and was heckled by Swedes, when asked where I was living (Stockholm) and not just heckled in a little leg pulling and light hearted humor. But properly heckled where it almost bordered on being rude and nasty, then followed into poor generalisations because of my British accent.

I am by not means saying Stockholm is a wonderful city, but must say I have heard more bitching by swedes not living in Stockholm and accusing it of being non Swedish and unfriendly because it's full of foreigners. Although at the same time there is a certain trepidation because it still holds some values to Sweden since its the capital. So rather than referring to just foreigners, it's now spoken upon as being "so international" as to be able to blame "fellow" non swedes to whatever these small minded country bumpkins with a chip on their shoulders, but at the same time fly the flag of nationalism and pride as a gateway into Sweden when trying to discuss the merits of Sweden.

And it's this double edged oxymorons with its strong racist undertones that make me laugh.
I myself could claim to be Swedish, but don't ... Which I think says a lot.
+

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: