The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

What is sambo actually?

Not related to migration and permits.

Bender B Rodriquez
post 3.Mar.2012, 10:31 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (sarah02 @ 3.Mar.2012, 11:25 PM) *
No, the disadvantages do not equally fall on women the same as men.

That is only under the assumption that the women is economically less well off than the man. The law does not separate gender.

If one plays that game the disadvantage actually falls on the man since a rental flat will go to the partner that has most use for it, i.e. and if there are kids involved this usually means to the woman...
Go to the top of the page
+
axiom
post 4.Mar.2012, 12:54 AM
Post #17

But I find it intriguing that given the deep acceptance that sambo has in the Swedish culture, there isn't a formal way to record this, not even a tick on a box at skatteverket :/
+
Marmi
post 4.Mar.2012, 01:09 AM
Post #18

It's very uncommon living together unless you are a couple. Having roommates, or live-ins is very uncommon in Sweden compared to the rest of the world. Could possibly be that has something to with there not being a need to register that one is a sambo. smile.gif

I only know of one set of friends living together (in Sweden), sharing a two bedroom apartment, and that was only because on of them was in-between apartments. They ended up sharing the apartment for about 2-3 years. Other than them, I don't know of anyone who has shared living with someone that is not a "significant other".
+
Willy
post 4.Mar.2012, 01:45 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (axiom @ 4.Mar.2012, 12:54 AM) *
But I find it intriguing that given the deep acceptance that sambo has in the Swedish culture, there isn't a formal way to record this, not even a tick on a box at skatteverket :/

There is, it's called marriage... biggrin.gif

The whole point of the sambo legislation is to give some marriage-like rights to couples who don't bother to register their relationship, i.e., get married.
+
axiom
post 4.Mar.2012, 02:02 AM
Post #20

Nope. not really . . .

I think you will find that there are jurisdictions that have specific registrations for common law relationships ie sambos which is very different from a marriage and in some cases purely voluntary

just do a quick google biggrin.gif
+
queenS
post 4.Mar.2012, 09:12 AM
Post #21

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 3.Mar.2012, 10:31 PM) *
That is only under the assumption that the women is economically less well off than the man. The law does not separate gender.If one plays that game the disadvantage actually ... (show full quote)

I presume that this applies only in the case when both partners are on the rental agreement, or?
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 4.Mar.2012, 09:54 AM
Post #22

No, it applies anyway. However, the flat must be acquired for common purpose, i.e. if one has a house or flat and one part moves in, this flat is not part of the common household. However, if both moves to a new flat this one becomes a part of the common goods, no matter who is on the rental agreement.
+
BritVik
post 4.Mar.2012, 11:15 AM
Post #23

Just been thinking back to 1960, when I came to Sweden and encountered their word sambo. It was a word I knew, but one that had been used in a very different context, and one that would be considered extremely non-PC by today's standards. Racist even. Do any others recall that older meaning I wonder? 'Living together' it certainly was not. It was - to say the least - a little confusing.
+
DaveN
post 4.Mar.2012, 05:09 PM
Post #24

Yeah, you can't call black people sambo nowadays, but you can still call white people snowflake, I believe.
+
SimonDMontfort
post 4.Mar.2012, 06:00 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (BritVik @ 4.Mar.2012, 10:15 AM) *
Just been thinking back to 1960, when I came to Sweden and encountered their word sambo. It was a word I knew, but one that had been used in a very different context, and one ... (show full quote)

You and me too!

I found myself wishing there was a different phrase to 'sambo' (when I first arrived in Sweden) - with the word's connotations with the kind of racist language of the past, in English speaking countries
+
johnjohn
post 4.Mar.2012, 06:44 PM
Post #26

50 years ago it was a favorite story of mine as well as millions of others since 1899.

Attached Image

+
BritVik
post 4.Mar.2012, 08:44 PM
Post #27

The very book I remembered.
But you had better watch out publishing the cover, nothing is as it was. Even Tintin comes under fire these days, and you can't buy marmelade with that on the label any more. Nor can I say that I have heard any of the old Stephen Foster songs either. All now belonging to a bygone era. And yet still living in Sweden albeit in a different context

Shall I rant and say Sweden should get up-to-date? Or just let the likes of carterhayes come in and do their bit?
+
newyorkman
post 12.Mar.2012, 02:21 AM
Post #28

I dont understand how or why this thread turned into a discussion of race. The word "Sambo" as used in the States isnt swedish and has a different tonation and pronounciation. There are a myriad of words that are found in different languages, that are unrelated and have different meanings.
So unless you are either mispronouncing the Swedish word "sambo" or are ignorant of the US pronounciation, why would a Black person be insulted?
+
byke
post 12.Mar.2012, 07:54 AM
Post #29

Is there even the remotest possability that hetrosexual migrant flat sharers could discover they have been registered as In sambo?

What about nuns who live in a convent?
+
orangetree
post 12.Mar.2012, 08:18 AM
Post #30

Sambo is a Soviet martial art, means self-defense without weapons.

Attached Image

+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: