The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Employer said citizens only

To someone with full rights to work here

the_austrian
post 2.Nov.2017, 07:02 AM
Post #1

Hi,

I was wondering if you have encountered something similar:

My sambo applied for a chef position at a company (I won't say the name, but you can find them at the harbour).

Their reply was that they loved the experience and would like to make my sambo a part of the team ... once my sambo has Swedish citizenship.

My sambo replied that she has got the full rights to work here, personnummer and all.

They replied: "Sorry, but our instructions tell us that you must be a Swedish citizen."

blink.gif

Is that normal? Have you encountered employers that say that?

Thank you in advance for all answers!
Go to the top of the page
+
axiom
post 2.Nov.2017, 11:51 AM
Post #2

It depends on the job, some positions require Swedish citizenship. Maybe they have contracts with the government or the military.
+
Svedallas
post 2.Nov.2017, 11:58 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (the_austrian @ 2.Nov.2017, 07:02 AM) *
Hi,I was wondering if you have encountered something similar:My sambo applied for a chef position at a company (I won't say the name, but you can find them at the harbour) ... (show full quote)

Normal.

Also, Companies no longer want to deal with all that comes with having to do sponsoring visas for employers. It is messy and expensive.

Welcome to Sweden!
+
the_austrian
post 2.Nov.2017, 05:05 PM
Post #4

Thank you very much for the answers.

Very informative!
+
Cheeseroller
post 3.Nov.2017, 09:15 AM
Post #5

Your first contact with the Swedish glass ceiling! At least this one was obvious. It's entirely possible to waste years stuck in limbo thinking you are the problem.
+
axiom
post 3.Nov.2017, 09:22 AM
Post #6

This is not a glass ceiling per say. All countries have jobs that require citizenship. They are often jobs related to government and national security.
+
the_dome
post 3.Nov.2017, 10:17 AM
Post #7

Yeah because in order to cook food you need to be a citizen. What a bunch of crap. The reality is that they either are not interested or that they don't know the rules

Source: personal experience
+
Bsmith
post 3.Nov.2017, 11:03 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (the_dome @ 3.Nov.2017, 10:17 AM) *
Yeah because in order to cook food you need to be a citizen. What a bunch of crap. The reality is that they either are not interested or that they don't know the rules. Source: personal experience

Could be that the OP is mixing Swedish and English with "chef" meaning boss.
+
the_austrian
post 3.Nov.2017, 02:22 PM
Post #9

No no, I meant chef as in cook smile.gif My sambo has been a fine dining chef for 15 years with a degree in culinary arts.
+
Bsmith
post 3.Nov.2017, 02:47 PM
Post #10

Ok, I stand corrected. Strange that she has to be a Swedish citizen to be a cook.
+
Svedallas
post 3.Nov.2017, 02:49 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (the_austrian @ 3.Nov.2017, 02:22 PM) *
No no, I meant chef as in cook smile.gif My sambo has been a fine dining chef for 15 years with a degree in culinary arts.

I also though you meant boss.

Still, it is normal. If you want to be a "kock" in Sweden does not matter if you have 15 years at the finest dining restaurants. They need Swedish health certification, done in Sweden.

Companies are being more and more blunt when it comes to jobs.
And the process to say it is discrimination is a longshot.
+
Tenacious185
post 3.Nov.2017, 03:17 PM
Post #12

I believe it. There are some extremely provincial and exclusive restaurants here - (and by exclusive, I don't mean "special" - I mean they exclude you if you don't fit in to their narrow definition of "Swedishly acceptable") and they will phase out or just not hire any non-Swede. Always with a phony excuse.

Ironically they'd do better to hire some flavor into their establishments, because the more "exclusive and Swedish" they tend to be, the blander and more banal their cuisine is. They all think they are doing something revolutionary, but in reality they are all serving the same bland-ass boiled potatoes, waxy flavorless lutefisk, and dull as dogshit risotto. Oh, you serve toast skagen for 300 SEK? So does every other restaurant of your allegedly lofty ilk, and it's not all that intriguing. They're convinced that the OCD level of overblown importance they place upon the manner in which they chop the garnish will distract the customer away from the tasteless, boring food and absurdly high price you pay for it. Any kind of creative culinary autonomy outside of their "medelsvensson" cardboard flavored dishes that they all do the same - is NOT welcome.

Your wife dodged a bullet. And a lot of drama, since these Swedish chefs are high strung as hell, uppity as all get out - and make Gordon Ramsey look like a sleeping baby - without the talent to back up the attitude. (Not that being an uppity asshole is ever justified.) They think one speck of dill out of place is a fucking life or death event, and will actually have a full-blown psychotic break in the middle of service over it. Meanwhile it's the rest of the food on the plate that's actually shit, and no amount of finely chopped garnish will conceal that. They don't recognize that, because they fine-tuned their "culinary skills" by watching reality shows about chefs, and learing how to throw tantrums - wthout actually learning anything about food at all. She does not want to work for such people.

She'll find a good gig with people who appreciate her talents, and don't lie about how you have to be a "Swedish citizen" to work there. (What they actually mean is ethnic Swede who has Swedish as a mother tongue, conforms to all notions of Swedishness, and has just enough skills to follow orders like a trained monkey - especially when it comes to chopping garnish - but not enough skills to ever have an independent idea, or make any Swede feel threatened in the kitchen by actually having some individuality.)

I'm pretty sure I know the place you're talking about. There's a lot of them around these parts. ;-) Your wife should apply to any restaurant that isn't actually Swedish.
+
Gjeebes
post 3.Nov.2017, 03:59 PM
Post #13

Well, Swedish restaurants need Swedish chefs to cater to the inexperience of the general Swedish customer, and their expectation of expensive bland.

Who would want to let the "cat-out-of-the-bag" by introducing that little thing Swedes have yet to discover, "flavour"?

It is quite amusing that no matter how you cut it, Sweden, in general, operates essentially like a small town, with narrow views to the extreme, all the while carrying a type of snobbery typical of Paris.

And there is really nothing more precious in this world than uppity self-righteous Swedes; they are like clowns fussing to make sure the red nose is on straight.
+
Svedallas
post 3.Nov.2017, 04:06 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 3.Nov.2017, 03:17 PM) *
I believe it. There are some extremely provincial and exclusive restaurants here - (and by exclusive, I don't mean "special" - I mean they exclude you if you don ... (show full quote)

Yes, Some Swedish restaurants have a preference of those who have deep knowledge of the Swedish food culture. There are some Swedish cuisine basics, which would probably take too long to know. To put it lightly.
+
Tenacious185
post 3.Nov.2017, 04:11 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 3.Nov.2017, 03:59 PM) *
Well, Swedish restaurants need Swedish chefs to cater to the inexperience of the general Swedish customer, and their expectation of expensive bland.Who would want to let the & ... (show full quote)

Haha! And lest I get accused of Swede bashing - it's not that! But I've never seen so many tantrum throwing drama queens with zero depth of vision when it comes to food...as I have in Swedish restaurants. It's weird, because normally Swedes are very reserved when it comes to emotional outbursts, but a Swedish chef can be reduced to tears, screaming, hysterics and hyperventilation over the most ridiculous minutiae.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: