The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Microsoft Office 2007

Does anyone understand it?

HALE
post 4.Feb.2010, 09:38 AM
Post #16

I have everyone in the family with their computers on OpenOffice.
Does everything the same. Also you can save in other formats.
Costs zero and is often updated. You can also get language packs for it inc swedish.

I don't support Microsoft! From my first Mac (a mac plus, used claris works) I don't use explorer or any microsoft products. The only exception is my hubby bought an x-box but that was soon collected dust next to the PS3.
Go to the top of the page
+
Craptastical
post 4.Feb.2010, 09:51 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (DidiE @ 4.Feb.2010, 07:50 AM) *
I tried Open Office- the only pitfall I found is that the powerpoints from MS do NOT transfer very well to OO. It was a real hassle for me, but if you don't use the powerp ... (show full quote)

You could export the presentation to PDF format. It makes it easier for everyone to see the presentation as it was intended (not entirely sure if MS Office does this or not though).

I'm glad that more and more people are using OO.org, OSS is reaching the masses and being accepted as a viable alternative to those who aren't techies. Woohoo!
+
DidiE
post 4.Feb.2010, 12:14 PM
Post #18

Yeah- I did try to export to PDF, but all the formatting tags came with it from OO, after I moved it to that environment from the MS one, even though in the OO environment there were no tags visible. I am not sure that is the case for every one who switches from PP in MS to OO, but if you have a lot of your lectures or presentations in MS PP it could be a hassle. But I liked what I saw of the Word and Excel OO versions. Very easy to use.
+
Nemesis
post 4.Feb.2010, 07:20 PM
Post #19

Major potential problem

If you upgrade to windows 64 bit, you will start to get problems with open office. Only install open office or star office if you are 32 bit at present.

It only really functions properly on 32 bit at present.

It would be best to check out your system first.

A 64 bit version of both is coming out later this year.
+
Essingen
post 4.Feb.2010, 07:28 PM
Post #20

Bit late for that advice! It is already installed.

What sort of problem will I have?
Surely the majority of applications are 32 bit at the moment aren't they? What is Microsoft office 2007 for example? That can't be a 64 bit application can it?
+
Nemesis
post 4.Feb.2010, 08:13 PM
Post #21

Some of us have switched to 64 bit operating systems.

For example I use 64 bit windows and linux as I do a lot of graphics intensive work, which regularly requires files in excess of 3 gigs, sometimes up to 20 gig. My averge file size is about 8 gig these days.

A lot of people are switching to 64 bit.

Office is still 32 bit, as is star office and open office. There respective companies are working on stable 64 bit versions.

A program I need to get my paws on is inflow.
+
DidiE
post 5.Feb.2010, 08:06 AM
Post #22

Aha- 64 bit is the culprit, then. Thank you, Nemesis.

Anyone have problems with this system and frequent Firefox crashes? a little help?
+
Nemesis
post 5.Feb.2010, 10:25 AM
Post #23

Welcome.

I had to go back to using my old copy of office 2000 on my 64 bit windows, which was a bit strange, due to problems I had with 2007 ultimate. It should have been the other way about, but that is the way it worked out.

Firefox should be OK on 64 bit now. There was quite a few problems when 64 bit first came out. I have multiple browsers on my net machine and firefox and explorer seem to both be working ok, now.

The Switch to 64 bit should now that initial issues have been smoothed out be a lot better with explorer, firefox, media player, divx, codec packs, bluray playback, nero and office 2010.

I have multiple configurations with hot swap drives for different things.
+
Rick Methven
post 5.Feb.2010, 10:42 AM
Post #24

Basic rule of thumb with anything from Microsoft. Never buy it until Service pack 2 is released. I refuse to pay to debug sloppy microsoft code
+
crazy_leo
post 5.Feb.2010, 01:39 PM
Post #25

Agree with Rick smile.gif
By the way, you can also try Google Docs http://docs.google.com . It is also free and can be used for collaborative editing of a doc. Plus you can save the online files to your desktop in MS or OO format also, in case you need a hard copy.
+
Eddymu
post 5.Feb.2010, 03:41 PM
Post #26

I’d say keep in mind that whilst Openoffice is free it does have its issues. For example, if you will be receiving a lot of Word documents – especially with tables / embedded graphs it is likely you will run in to formatting issues (especially with .docx files). Similar issues can occur with large Excel 2007 (.xlsx) files. That said, it works the other way as well with OO documents to Office.

^^ not a OO bashing but something to be aware of when using it as a business tool.

As for the 32/64-bit argument if you have Windows 7 64-bit, 32-bit apps are executed by the WoW64 x86 emulator and this is generally a lot more stable on W7 that previous editions – there are limitations but I have only run into 1 yet and that was with a cisco vpn client. I haven’t personally used OO on W7 but if others say it’s not stable then I’ll go with their experience.

Just keep in mind you get what you pay for, it’s for your business after all so only you know how much time you can put in to researching and fixing issues you could come up against.
+
Essingen
post 5.Feb.2010, 03:58 PM
Post #27

not a OO bashing but something to be aware of when using it as a business tool.

Yes, that is a good point. I rather suspected it might be the case when I installed it. It is a tricky one really. Maybe I will install office 2010 beta and see what that is like.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: