The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Decent curry house(s) in Umeå?

24/7
post 24.Sep.2008, 06:34 PM
Post #1

Hi!

Question for any ex-pats living in or near Umeå...

Do you know of any really decent, good-quality Indian restaurants in Umeå? By "really decent", judge it by your fave place back in Blighty!

The missus is from Manchester and went to school near to their famous "Curry Mile", so the bar is set high.

What can you recommend, if anything, in Umeå?

[tak-paw-fur-hand!]

/jim
Go to the top of the page
+
Griffaluba
post 24.Sep.2008, 06:44 PM
Post #2

It's been hard to find something that even comes close to curry houses back in the UK, but Ghandis comes pretty close. It's in a basement in Bågenhuset - opposite the rail station. It's quite close to mama's (a place I recommend that you avoid like the plague!).

Ghandis has friendly service, reasonable prices and pretty good Indian food - by swedish standards.

Mark.
+
24/7
post 24.Sep.2008, 06:54 PM
Post #3

Cheers Mark!

You say, "...by Swedish standards" - we used to have 2 curry houses up here in Hellefteå. One was run by an Indian guy and was The Real Deal, the other was run by Pakistanis so it had a more Pakistani/North Indian food style as opposed to that which we're used to in England (more Punjabi).

So with that in mind, do you know anything about the ownership of Ghandis?

Btw - "mamas" - yeah heard about that, avoided it, wouldn't even buy the t-shirt wink.gif

Thanks again!
/jim
+
Griffaluba
post 24.Sep.2008, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Unless I'm mistaken those that run Ghandi are Indian (not sure from which region in India as I didn't think to ask) - but it was dark when I was there and my eyes ain't what they used to be. You should check it out - if it's a bad call then I'll make up for it by buying you a pint sometime.
+
jim747
post 24.Sep.2008, 10:57 PM
Post #5

Hahaha! It was dark and your eyes are bad. You were P!ssed then?

Have not really eaten out since moving to Sweden so can't help i'm afraid.
+
Griffaluba
post 25.Sep.2008, 05:49 AM
Post #6

Me? Drunk? Only happens on certain, special, occasions; new year, christmas, easter, midsummer, valpurgis, my birthday, my friends' birthdays, national holidays, end of term celebrations, beginning of term celebrations, exam celebrations, study days, non-study days, sunny days, cloudy days... not very often at all really smile.gif
+
Kaylo
post 25.Sep.2008, 08:31 AM
Post #7

Former colleauge of mine from India says Ghandi is better than Taj Mahal, though neither is apparently what he would call authentic Indian (don't know how that compares to authentic Indian the proper English way though). As I recall he said the owners of neither place were Indian.

I've eaten at both, and would say food is better at Ghandi - I'm fond of a good palak paneer (spinach and cheese) and theirs is not bad. And I have it on authority that their vindaloo is very hot!
+
24/7
post 25.Sep.2008, 06:18 PM
Post #8

Griffaluba - you're on, that's a bet wink.gif

We'll be in O'Learys on Saturday watching the reds stuff the toffees by the way...

Oh and Kaylo - I spoke to a colleague of mine who is also from India and he says that Ghandis is alright so we're gonna give it a go!

Authentic Indian isn't the same as the proper English way - as Indian cooks adapted their traditional foods to suit the English palate anyway - but it sounds like Ghandis has adjusted to suit the Swedish palate so we'll see what that entails eh?

Maybe I'll post a review wink.gif

Cheers for help, peeps!
/jim
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: