The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Gaining Citizenship in Sweden...

Have no permit to stay, is this a problem?

byke
post 24.Feb.2010, 10:37 AM
Post #16

This is the weird thing though as I have had dual citizenship for at least as long back as 1990
Go to the top of the page
+
collan
post 24.Feb.2010, 10:40 AM
Post #17

yes, but you prob didn't tell any authority about it...
what they don't know thwy do nothing about
+
captainbirdseye
post 24.Feb.2010, 10:43 AM
Post #18

You can have a dual UK and Swedish citizenship. It is always good to have a Swedish passport if you ever get kidnapped by a US/UK hating group, you can always say that you are Swedish and save your head. Another advantage of citizenship is that you can vote in the national elections. You can also apply for Swedish citizenship if you have lived with a Swedish born sambo in Sweden for a total 3 years discounting the times you've been out of Sweden.
+
Craptastical
post 24.Feb.2010, 10:49 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (captainbirdseye @ 24.Feb.2010, 10:43 AM) *
total 3 years discounting the times you've been out of Sweden.

I don't think that's correct, is it? I thought it was 3 years of continuous residency, not physically present within Sweden.

ie they aren't going to discount the time you spent on holiday in some other country.
+
captainbirdseye
post 24.Feb.2010, 10:53 AM
Post #20

The criteria seems to change all the time, holidays don't count...

Reduced time period if you are living with a Swedish citizen

If you have been married to, living in a registered partnership with or cohabiting with a Swedish citizen for at least the past two years, you may apply for Swedish citizenship after spending three years in Sweden. If your husband, wife, partner or common law spouse was formerly the citizen of another country (or were stateless), he or she must have now been a Swedish citizen for at least two years. It is not sufficient that you are married, for example — you must also live together.

Exceptions from period of residence requirement

* An emigrant, formerly a Swedish citizen, who returns to Sweden
* A person who is employed on a Swedish ship and who is registered in Sweden.
* A person who is in the employ of a Swedish company abroad and who has previously lived in Sweden.
* A person who has been married to a Swedish citizen abroad for at least ten years and who does not live in their country of origin. The person must have strong ties with Sweden, e.g. through frequent visits or having a strong desire to become a Swedish citizen.
* A person whose uninterrupted period of residence in Sweden is too short. Such a person may be allowed to count previous periods of residence in Sweden, partly or in full. This depends on how long and why they have been abroad.

If you have been abroad

If you have travelled abroad, for example for a short stay or a holiday, this is of no importance. This also applies to other periods spent abroad which do not mean that you moved from Sweden.

If you move to another country and settle there, this interrupts your period of residence. You can therefore only count the time from the date you return to Sweden.
+
Etheric
post 24.Feb.2010, 11:12 AM
Post #21

Hmm I was sure about the US thing. BUt there you go, some further reading it appears it is not enforced.

The oath of allegiance starts (which you take as part of becoming a naturalized american)

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizenI hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen"

Which I guess is where the confusion comes from.

Ah ok I think in principle if you become a naturalised american you should renounce your citizenship of your previous country, but they no longer care that much.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html

The FAQ posted above was for US citezens becoming citizens of other countries, which is not the same thing. In principle you could give up your other citizenship on becoming naturalized, then go get it back again. But these days it is not a big deal.
+
Mpf
post 24.Feb.2010, 11:12 AM
Post #22

If you got to Turkey on holiday and hold a UK passport you have to pay for a visa on entry. If however you hold dual citizenship and also hold a Swedish passport and show this you don't have to pay for a visa!

Sometimes it works to have 2 EU passports!
+
Mr. Puppy
post 24.Feb.2010, 11:52 AM
Post #23

The U.S. no longer has any problem with dual citizenship although this only State Department policy - not grounded in law, so that could change easily. I know many American/other dual nationals and even one triple national.
+
byke
post 24.Feb.2010, 12:22 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (collan @ 24.Feb.2010, 10:40 AM) *
yes, but you prob didn't tell any authority about it.... what they don't know thwy do nothing about

Actually when I was in college in the UK the swedish army phoned up my college to ask questions about how long I would be studying etc ... they were met with a "piss off" from the school secretary who promptly told them they have no right to that information and that they would not confirm or deny I was in such education.

So the swedish government knew I was living in the UK as they tried multiple times to contact me for Lumpen.

At the time, my dad who is swedish and lives here even said that I was living in the UK ...
But the point is, at no point did I have to give up any form of citizenship from either side.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 24.Feb.2010, 12:51 PM
Post #25

I've been a dual UK/US citizen for 32 years, you can definitely hold dual nationality for both of those countries.
+
Rick Methven
post 24.Feb.2010, 12:53 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (byke @ 24.Feb.2010, 12:22 PM) *
Actually when I was in college in the UK the swedish army phoned up my college to ask questions about how long I would be studying etc ... they were met with a "piss off& ... (show full quote)

There where (not sure how it is now) a couple of age related break points with regard to dual nationality particularly before Sweden joined the EU. there was a 16/18 decision point where you had to choose which nationality you wanted to hold if you had 2 passports there was also a law which said that a young person with Swedish nationality through parentage but living abroad, had to physically reside in Sweden before they where 22 or loose their Swedish nationality. There was a case a few years back of a Swedish girl living in Australia who was stripped of her personnumer because she was not living in Sweden

Lumpen is another thing. My son had Swedish nationality although for the first 18 years of his life he lived in the UK. We actually moved to Sweden a week after he had his 18th birthday. Lumpen sent a letter to our British address which was forwarded on to us in Sweden and a follow up was sent to our Swedish address when we registered here. They follow the rule - If you hold a Swedish passport you shall serve your country rolleyes.gif
+
Mackan2017
post 24.Feb.2010, 01:09 PM
Post #27

But since I have a british passport, have had all my kids recognized and birth certificates and passports for them from the UK embassy (even though they were born to a swedish mother in sweden) they also have swedish birth certificates and passports ... and I was even called for national service in sweden many moons ago.

My son was also born in Stockholm (although conceived in London!!!) to a Swedish mother, but I registered him at the British Embassy and he's always had a British passport. We've never had any problems, and don't envisage any in the future.

Regarding Sweden being considered as a "more friendly nation", sorry to say it but that posters assessment needs drastically updating!!! Sweden is on the watch-list of just about every US-friendly nation, and no longer enjoys the status of being seen as trouble-free. Hence the quote from Bin Laden about Sweden...
+
bravedave
post 25.Feb.2010, 04:56 PM
Post #28

The main reason I would have dual nationality is down to the fact that I am in this for the long run. Have lived here for over 4 years and am not moving back to the UK. Its easier to get around with a British passport and that I have.

Its more about opening more doors, with dual nationalities and citizenship there are more possiblities and an easier way of life, maybe easier to loan vast amounts of cash and start your own business.

I am engaged to Swedish girl and am getting married next summer in reply to an earlier question.
+
kaze
post 25.Feb.2010, 06:53 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Etheric @ 24.Feb.2010, 09:44 AM) *
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishci...ualnationality/The UK is pretty liberal about dual nationality. The US on the other hand is not. You have to give up your other ci ... (show full quote)

Am I reading this right?
Brits can get anything duel (depending onthe other country) EXCEPT Irish ?

You can have a dual UK and Swedish citizenship. It is always good to have a Swedish passport if you ever get kidnapped by a US/UK hating group, you can always say that you are Swedish and save your head. Another advantage of citizenship is that you can vote in the national elections. You can also apply for Swedish citizenship if you have lived with a Swedish born sambo in Sweden for a total 3 years discounting the times you've been out of Sweden.

Yeah, this is my thinking. I've a Irish grandmother so could claim Irish citizenship- if I ever plan on visiting the middle east I want to do that.
+
craicen
post 25.Feb.2010, 07:14 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (kaze @ 25.Feb.2010, 06:53 PM) *
Am I reading this right?Brits can get anything duel (depending onthe other country) EXCEPT Irish ?Yeah, this is my thinking. I've a Irish grandmother so could claim Irish ... (show full quote)

Britain and Ireland have such close ties that you can live, work, sign on, whatever in each nation or kingdom in the case of the UK. No need to have dual citizenship there. Dont you know that the pikies sign on in both countries? Just one of many scams they run.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: