The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Still looking for job

After 7 months

ale3is
post 21.Jan.2010, 03:25 PM
Post #1

I have been here 7 months and no luck till now. I have a BSc in Electronic Computer Systems Engineering from an EU country, around 1-2 years of experience and the only thing i achieved so far, was two interviews with one company (first contact with them end of september, last contact saying that they wont hire me, on tuesday!)
I have studied in Folkuniversitetet for 3 courses on summer and now i am finishing Kurs C in SFI. I am registered in Abs, monster and a lot more but nobody is never taking me on interview...I ask for Arbetspraktik but this doesnt seem to help... My swedish are not that good but i think that in my field, there are a lot of professionals working with english and not with swedish...What else can i do? Any advice is welcome!
Go to the top of the page
+
mazz
post 21.Jan.2010, 04:22 PM
Post #2

maybe look for something outside your field.
+
temporary
post 21.Jan.2010, 05:37 PM
Post #3

Do you have a Swedish reference, that is not part of family? If not, try to establish one (or more) through any sports clubs etc or other area outside home, where you can get an as close to "professional" reference as possible.
+
ale3is
post 21.Jan.2010, 06:23 PM
Post #4

I play waterpolo and i have already won the SM with my team...Till now, this didn't help a bit...I'm also a trainer now for the young team, even though unpaid...
+
PBR_Streetgang
post 21.Jan.2010, 06:35 PM
Post #5

where are you based; big city or in the country?
+
ale3is
post 21.Jan.2010, 06:46 PM
Post #6

Stockholm...
+
mike63
post 21.Jan.2010, 06:48 PM
Post #7

Do you have to stay in Stockholm, or can you move? It might improve your chances if you are willing to relocate.
+
PBR_Streetgang
post 21.Jan.2010, 06:50 PM
Post #8

Have you tried finding any Bar/Kitchen work?
+
tattoodle
post 21.Jan.2010, 07:15 PM
Post #9

my swedish bf always tells me that sending cv online is a waste of time specially here in Sweden, it's better if you will ask them personally and greet them with a BIG smile:D
but yeah i think that maybe you have to try a restaurant job first or something.
+
mike63
post 21.Jan.2010, 07:18 PM
Post #10

I agree with this. I have a Russian friend and she says the same thing. She used this tactic, did everything in person, and never had problems finding work, even though she speaks Swedish with a heavy Russian accent.

I used a similar tactic. I applied for a job, then emailed the person to find out more about it. Then called to talk to him on the phone (couldn't do a face-to-face as I'm in Scotalnd). By the end he was very interested in my application.
+
Kibiri
post 21.Jan.2010, 09:05 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (ale3is @ 21.Jan.2010, 07:23 PM) *
I play waterpolo and i have already won the SM with my team...Till now, this didn't help a bit...I'm also a trainer now for the young team, even though unpaid...

If you didnt already, be sure to write in your CV that you play waterpolo, including the SM and volunteer trainer.

Being registered to monster seems to have no impact. 2-3 times english headhunters contacted me, but never a swede. You should apply all relevant positions as they appear.
+
Jimmy
post 21.Jan.2010, 09:17 PM
Post #12

my advice is don't be fussy about what kind of job. Just get a job.

I was a research technican for medical experimentation before coming here. Now removalists, stagehand,rugby coach, rigger, boat technican, boat polisher, and the list goes on take whatever you can. They are out there, put on your shoes and beat the streets
+
temporary
post 21.Jan.2010, 09:20 PM
Post #13

Btw, 7 months without a job is not really that long. Give it some more time.
+
Kibiri
post 21.Jan.2010, 09:25 PM
Post #14

^so true, especially for sweden, as the recruitment companies are really slow.
+
Mzungu
post 21.Jan.2010, 09:27 PM
Post #15

You can always try McDonald's..

Attached Image

*never know*
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: