The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Is formal work experience imp finding an IT job

Preparing to migrate to Sweden

ehsabd
post 2.Apr.2019, 11:09 AM
Post #1

Hello,

I'm a computer programmer and IT expert. I live in Iran. I really like Sweden and I'm learning more and more about it. I'm preparing to migrate to Sweden, possibly in two years. Because of the situation in my country, I do freelance programming most of the time. So I would have no reference for formal work experience. However, I plan to develop a portfolio of my works and things showing my engagement with IT projects, exhibiting my skills. In other words, I feel confident that I will be able to prove that I'm a skillful developer, but I wouldn't be able to show evidence of any formal work experience. Is that a problem when one a preson searches for an IT job in Sweden?

Best wishes
Go to the top of the page
+
Bsmith
post 2.Apr.2019, 11:24 AM
Post #2

I am curious, have you ever been to Sweden? What is it that you like about Sweden? I read of so many people on this forum who fall in love with Sweden and want to move there but have never actually been. Sweden is very good at marketing itself but the reality is much different. Many people who move there become disillusioned quickly.

In answer to your question: It is always best to have experience and, even more important, connections. However, your field is in demand so you might find something. Good luck.
+
ehsabd
post 2.Apr.2019, 11:31 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 2.Apr.2019, 11:24 AM) *
I am curious, have you ever been to Sweden? What is it that you like about Sweden? I read of so many people on this forum who fall in love with Sweden and want to move there ... (show full quote)

I recognize your concern as displayed in another post and thank you for reminding me that. I surely have to do more research about it, build connections with Swedish people and the language. Also, a short trip would be helpful. Also, your answer about finding the job helps. Yes, I think the most important advantage of IT jobs is high demand and that may be a game changer.
+
Bsmith
post 2.Apr.2019, 11:59 PM
Post #4

But why Sweden?
+
gsurya
post 6.Apr.2019, 12:30 PM
Post #5

IT jobs in Sweden are indeed one of the few areas where job-seekers can get placed without knowing Swedish. So if you have good skills and experience , you will be welcome!

Sweden is also looking to absorb more immigrants to increase our diversity, so dont fall for those naysayers who want to keep you away!
+
Uncle Fred
post 6.Apr.2019, 05:30 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (gsurya @ 6.Apr.2019, 01:30 PM) *
IT jobs in Sweden are indeed one of the few areas where job-seekers can get placed without knowing Swedish. So if you have good skills and experience , you will be welcome! ... (show full quote)

You are speaking out the back of your ass again. No one should ever listen to anything gsurya says.
+
Svedallas
post 16.Apr.2019, 05:55 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Uncle Fred @ 6.Apr.2019, 06:30 PM) *
You are speaking out the back of your ass again. No one should ever listen to anything gsurya says.

+1
+

Reply to this topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: