The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4   Reply to this topic

The Local Dating Service

Should The Local have a section dedicated to flirting?
Yes [ 42 ] ** [45.65%]
No [ 50 ] ** [54.35%]
Total Votes: 184
Guests cannot vote 
*Littlefair*
post 26.Jan.2006, 06:29 PM
Post #46

I think I made my feelings clear but I vote No aswell :twisted:
Go to the top of the page
+
The Local
post 26.Jan.2006, 06:36 PM
Post #47

OK, there's a poll. By 'gets the vote' we really meant 'seems to be desired judging by the amount of flirtatious posts on the forum'. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Out of interest, what's wrong with such a section? Wouldn't you simply ignore that section if it wasn't your cup of tea?

The Local
+
Aneud
post 26.Jan.2006, 06:36 PM
Post #48

Thank you for the poll! However it does say "thread" not "section" huge difference. sad.gif
+
The Local
post 26.Jan.2006, 06:40 PM
Post #49

:oops:

It's been a very long day.

Kind regards

The Local
+
Aneud
post 26.Jan.2006, 06:41 PM
Post #50

QUOTE (The Local)
Out of interest, what's wrong with such a section? Wouldn't you simply ignore that section if it wasn't your cup of tea?

The Local

Yes indeed I presume we would and that's what makes it a bad idea. Plus it will make people believe since it has a dedicated section they can't have a light hearted and jokingly flirting conversation elsewhere or they risk being banned. If phrased as a "Dating Service" it will keep even more of us out, as I and others said before, flirting is not looking for a partner in the least and the vast majority of TL posters already have a mate.

Plus to me it sounds like a measure of "beneficial censorship" I mean really "Flirt here"?!? Flirting, banter occur in debates as does laughter or being upset. It's a form of conversation not a state of mind. What's next? "Laugh here"? "Be upset here"?
+
*Littlefair*
post 26.Jan.2006, 06:41 PM
Post #51

QUOTE (The Local)
OK, there's a poll. By 'gets the vote' we really meant 'seems to be desired judging by the amount of flirtatious posts on the forum'. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

The Local

Then sorry Mr/Mrs Local wouldn't it be completely pointless if sensible people ignored it. No-one is looking for a new partner just a little fun whats wrong with setting up a section called News For the peoples topics and let anyone wanting to discuss news go there. Any thread could potentially turn into flirting butno thread ever breaks out into the News.
+
FR
post 26.Jan.2006, 06:44 PM
Post #52

QUOTE (Aneud)
Yes indeed we presume we would and that's what makes it a bad idea. Plus it will make people believe since it has a dedicated section they can't have a light hearted and jokingly flirting conversation elsewhere or they risk being banned. If phrased as a "Dating Service" it will keep even more of us our, as I and others said before, flirting is not looking for a partner in the least and the vast majority of TL posters already have a mate.

Plus to me it sounds like a measure of "beneficial censorship" I mean really "Flirt here"?!? Flirting, banter occur in debates as does laughter or being upset. What's next? "Laugh here"? "Be upset here"?

My suggestion was for a "Friendship and Love" section or something like that. My use of "Dating Service" was a little sarcastic and had to do with the number of people deciding to meet and such. I certainly don't think anyone would be banned for saying something lighthearted in a serious section, just as I don't think anyone would be banned for saying something serious in a lighthearted section. It just has to do with helping newcomers especially to find what they want.
+
FR
post 26.Jan.2006, 06:54 PM
Post #53

Btw, you can think of it as Simon Cowell versus Paula Abdul. A softie thread would keep meanies out and protect the likes of the more sensitive of the Local crowd.
+
*Littlefair*
post 26.Jan.2006, 06:56 PM
Post #54

How the flying frig would it do that stop touting for votes.

Ok I'll do it vote no and recieve free Ferarri :twisted:
+
FR
post 26.Jan.2006, 07:00 PM
Post #55

Oooh, a Ferarri. Well, upkeep too expensive. Richard Hatch is in jail for his prize.
+
FR
post 26.Jan.2006, 07:03 PM
Post #56

Littlefair, I know what you're doing. Evil one.
+
The Local
post 26.Jan.2006, 07:18 PM
Post #57

Please see:

News section - changes

It's a start.

Kind regards

The Local
+
*Littlefair*
post 26.Jan.2006, 07:23 PM
Post #58

Finally the Local recognises one of my ideas for its brilliance all hail me :twisted:
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 26.Jan.2006, 07:44 PM
Post #59

Dear Local,

I think there are some great ideas and points made in this discussion. One of the reasons I enjoy these forums is the high caliber of the people and the discussion, regardless of the topic. Things like the haiku-fest Useless Thread definitely seem "Anything Goes", but I do think a section for male/female and romantic interaction topics would be nice, because it is such a widely discussed one. Things like Littlefair's (in)famous sex thread (which is a great, candid, open discussion on sexuality without being vulgar (mostly), in my opinion - way to go, Littlefair!) and my book review post word work well in a section like "Love @ The Local" or something similar. I think a seperate "Your News" section might be nice too, since I know I occasionally want to post news articles, and it feels weird for me to put them in "Anything Goes" but at the same time, some people just don't care about U.S. news, or Candian news, or tech news... I also think a hot potato section (maybe call it "Under the Bridge" or something similarly tongue-in-cheek) would be a good thing, as some threads tend to turn nasty. At least then it would be labled as a contentious subject and the admins could move a thread (like the some of the immigrant topics or the childfree one) there and people would realize there was a dog fight in progress. (And those looking to start fights would know where to go when they wanted to pick one.) I think an "About You" topic or something similar would also be useful as a place for all the hej I'm new posts, happy birthday posts, the contact thread, the A/S/L thread, the mugshot thread and others

These are just suggestions based on what seems to make sense to me. do think that some people need to chill out and realize that they are adults and it's not required that they read every thread. If you don't want to read about sex, for instance, don't click on the thread called "Sex" in the "Anything Goes" section. The Local is not responsible for admining common sense, too.

Regards,
Melanie

P.S. I have a feeling that the original reason this topic was raised can't really be restrained to a topic. Different people have different perceptions of interactions, for one. What to me is a pleasant "hi, how are you" or "hey, nice job" type comment, intended as a social gesture or confidence boost may seem to some people to be outlandish flirting. I think if nobody minds too much, I'd rather stick with pleasantly addressing others. One of the things people often discuss here is feeling alone and isolated, so if something like that makes a post of mine come across a little more warm and welcoming I think it's a Good Thing. Comfortable flirting is also a natural outgrowth of any social environment. As people from the Local form offboard, offline relationships, (which they are starting to) it's going to continue as those relationships merge with the online interaction.

I wasn't sure which way to vote, because I would like to see "Anything Goes" divided up a bit, but I don't think you can quarantine a type of social interaction. So I didn't.
+

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: