The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Shoplifting at the hardware store

Shoplifting for over 2.000sek

john.boy
post 28.Oct.2017, 01:24 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (peta.mila2 @ 28.Oct.2017, 12:28 PM) *
I did not know that academia does the background check. I thought that background checks are done mainly for vulnerable positions such as work at military/police type of works ... (show full quote)

Many employers nowadays request a copy of your crime-register entries, they do it for a number of reasons. Being on the crime register can also effect ability to get loans, apartments, citizenship and a few other things also. Remember that it is not secret, it is a public record and anyone can ask for a copy of the court judgement.
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 28.Oct.2017, 01:29 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (john.boy @ 28.Oct.2017, 12:24 PM) *
Many employers nowadays request a copy of your crime-register entries, they do it for a number of reasons. Being on the crime register can also effect ability to get loans, ap ... (show full quote)

Citizenship and employement = yes but not loans and apartements
+
Bsmith
post 28.Oct.2017, 01:43 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (peta.mila2 @ 28.Oct.2017, 10:28 AM) *
But off course, I am completely fucked. Completely.

No, you're not. You may very well have thrown an obstacle in your path, but you will be able to overcome it. The most important questions you must ask yourself is if you truly regret what you have done (not only because of the consequences but because it was wrong) and have you learned from this?

If the answer to these questions is yes, then pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get on down the road.
+
gsurya
post 29.Oct.2017, 10:03 AM
Post #19

I must admire you putting out your situation out in the public forum. Many of us may not have out of shame.

I am sure many of us have done something beyond the legal boundaries in our lives, but have just not been caught, so its always good to be again reminded of consequences & how it changes one's life forever.
+
peta.mila2
post 31.Oct.2017, 10:26 AM
Post #20

Dear people,

Does any of you know, or have ways to find out, if such a crime that I made can result in expulsion from the country? I'm really worried that I will have to leave Sweden and discontinue my studies at university. I'm reading the article that says that a lot of people get expelled from the country for theft crimes.
I really need some help, I don't know how to go through all this mentally, I cannot function as a human being anymore.
And yes, off course I regret of the crime I made, not only because I got in trouble. This is not acceptable.
+
Bsmith
post 31.Oct.2017, 11:33 AM
Post #21

Peta, you want assurances. This I cannot give you. All I can tell you is, that whenever I have made a serious mistake (and I have made many), I have prayed to God above for forgiveness and, in the end, things have worked out alright.

But that is what I believe. Maybe you have different beliefs.
+
bryann
post 31.Oct.2017, 11:15 PM
Post #22

It would not be more than a fine, but you might be deported as well.
+
bryann
post 31.Oct.2017, 11:17 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 27.Oct.2017, 06:32 PM) *
If you do get fined here is the way to calculate the total amount. . https://rakna.net/berakna/dagsboter/

That website wont be of much help. It tells you what the daily rate is but not how many day fines it will be, or even if it will just be a summery penal fine.
+
Gjeebes
post 1.Nov.2017, 08:08 AM
Post #24

OP, you fucked up, everyone fucks up at some point, so you are not as alone as you think.

First time offence, you will likely be banned from the store, and fined. You need to ask them if this will show on any permanent record that employers can obtain, and if it is considered an actual criminal offence. Knowing, either way, will at least allow you to know where you are at.

Considering gang-rapists receive as little as 3 months "sentence" in Sweden, I would not worry about "doing time". Sweden's legal system isn't about punishment, it is about redemption.

As for academia asking for a police check, never heard of it. I have worked as a researcher (as a PI) in Finland, Sweden, as a post-doc in France, as a Ph.D. candidate in the UK and Germany, and never once was I requested to show proof of criminal record (clean or otherwise).

In the end, Sweden has much much bigger problems that petty thefts. It is what it is, and it seems clear you are already sentencing yourself much more harshly than the Swedish legal system will do.

Go find out what your status is, pay the fine immediately, and just move on with lesson learned.

Again, you fucked up, but it doesn't mean you are a terrible person. And it seems you already see these types of activities are just not worth the angst.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: