The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

Statue of limitation on debt in Sweden

Holecutter > The Howl ...
post 11.Jul.2009, 09:26 AM
Post #1

I have just received from a debt collection agency here in Sweden, a claim for an unpaid traffic insurance dating back to 1996. At no time prior to this claim have I been notified in the period from 1996 till now of this claim...by anybody.

My question; does anybody know the statue of limitation on debt here in Sweden ( I hope Puffin is around)

I will clarify, they say it has to do with state insurance when ones buys a car, and there is a cap between between the non insurance of said car, whereas the state insures the car. I have no recollection of this whatsoever. That is why I'm interested to find out what is the statue of limitations on debt here in Sweden, and is there a source that I can relate to. As I have no intention paying for something I'm not aware of...ever.

angry.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
DidiE
post 11.Jul.2009, 09:39 AM
Post #2

I asked the real Swede in our house about this, because I got worried, too. He is 99% sure this is a scam. There are lot of invoice-past due scams out there, apparently, and many of them are targeting new Swedes. On the other hand, there are some legitimate bills from that long ago- do you think that it is possible that you didn't pay? Mr Didi says you can ease your mind simply by going to the police and asking them if this is a legitimate billing. If it IS a scam, you are helping other potential victims by reporting it.

This doesn't answer your limitation question, but I had no idea, until I talked to my husband, about the number of scams out there using this invoice-past due stuff. Wow.
+
Inletwatcher
post 11.Jul.2009, 10:31 AM
Post #3

Hey! I read OP to my partner, and he tells me the following... number one go to cops to make sure its real.

Two.. When you buy a car here, new or used, you have 24 hours of grace to get your own insurance on the car. If you don't get your own insurance, the government picks up its own to cover third party. *** This will only cover the other guy in the accident, not you. The cost for this service for the forgetfull, or too broke to get insurance is extreme something like 4 times the actual amout you would have paid if you got your own coverage. It only takes a few days for the cost to be stupid high. This will follow you all your days.

Wish you luck, Inlet
+
NEXT
post 11.Jul.2009, 04:10 PM
Post #4

Not so similar but I had received the same sort of bill.

http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...c=23492&hl=
+
CTIDinÅrsta
post 11.Jul.2009, 06:02 PM
Post #5

(free from Kronofogdens webpage)

The limitation depends on the type of debt:

If it's a one-off type of debt such as a bank loan the time i 10 years.
If it's a consumer debt/bill the time is 3 years.

The problem could be when the clock starts ticking. If you acknowledge the debt, make an interest payment or ask for payment plan then the clock is reset.
If the lender sends a demand for payment then time starts again.
If the lender goes to court or to kronofogden then the time starts again.

So basically the debt has to be dormant for 3 or 10 years for the rules to kick in.

You have to write to Kronofogden and object if you think the debt should have been written off. I you don't then you can still be made to pay. The onus here is on the lender to defend their position.

But go to the Police, it sounds very much like a scam - a wild guess would be an MC gang it certainly has their MO.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: