The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

What to do about a near hit-and-run

Options for reporting reckless drivers

krzyz21
post 13.Jul.2009, 09:17 AM
Post #1

This happened in front of me.

I crossed the road and an elderly couple was following me, about 20 steps away. I saw purple VW Golf approaching but by the time, it was close to me, I had already crossed the road and the elderly couple was half way. The driver didn't stop and the couple nearly missed the hit. The woman screamed but the car didn't stop.

I wonder what do you do in such case. Is there any chance to report such drivers?

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page
+
Inletwatcher
post 13.Jul.2009, 09:28 AM
Post #2

Would be the perfect time for some slow action speed, to get the plate number and brief description of the number of occupants AND driver in the car. We used to live near a crossing when the pups were little. We carried the sheppard mix pups for as long as possible to cross the road, but like what happend to you with the near misses we had to change our doggie walk route to avoid the "safe pedestrian crossing"

With the 1 1/2 inch thick training manuel one has to study, and the money involved in the overpriced driving schools, one would think they, as the driver, would want to protect their investment. So not so. I have lived in large cities in the USA, and small ones. I have lived from coast to coast. Sweden often takes the cake and the icing on crap driving.

Yes, report them, hopefully with plate. Not to many purple cars methinks.

Inletwatcher
+
krzyz21
post 13.Jul.2009, 09:34 AM
Post #3

My question is, who do you report to? If I should be reporting to the police, how do I get local police station number? I am aware of only 112 but I don't think this is worth 112.
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 13.Jul.2009, 09:37 AM
Post #4

This is just the way they drive in Sweden and the cops wont care or at least they will sound interested in your report before filing it in the waste paper basket.

Regularly when crossing the intersection outside of work I encounter it. It is a bit like a game of chicken. Some drivers try to imtimidate you into hesitating and giving them a chance sneek through. I always stare down those drivers to make them stop. Of course this does not work on the tunnel vision or the mobile phone weilding drivers.

Some days I wish I was carrying a baseball bat when crossing to pay back the ones that do sneak through. angry.gif
+
Holecutter > The Howl ...
post 13.Jul.2009, 09:50 AM
Post #5

It happened to me once...just crossed and zebra crossing and turned to see if the two kids were behind me when a woman almost drove into them. I rushed over to the offender and gave her an ear full, she then pulled over and started to cry. I did not let up, and then she threw her mobile phone at me which smashed against a wall. She then drove off screaming like crazy...one up for Holecutter and one miserable witch who lost it.

Why is it, women can't take criticism.

angry.gif
+
Inletwatcher
post 13.Jul.2009, 09:51 AM
Post #6

Oh yes... I have hit a car with my palm a few times as it wizzed by my toes! They dare not stop, for fear for their very life. Open up your arms and say in English, YOU want some of THIS? They will run, trust me. Have a nice childs wooden bat in your back pocket is always an option. I keep mine in my car. Have another by the front door.

Another thing.. have a pram with a babydoll in it.. ketchup in a bowl in there.. when they hit the pram, ketchup will go flying, dollbaby will be sailing..and the driver hopefully having a heart attack like he/she gives the walkers.

I am mean today.

Inlet
+
krzyz21
post 13.Jul.2009, 09:55 AM
Post #7

Folks, I do agree with your comments and criticism. The whole issue is, if some driver is reckless, they should get their share of the attitude (hopefully get fined or even get license revoked)
Thats exactly what I want to do. When I saw that lady screaming, I really felt for her and thank god, I didn't have a gun otherwise I swear to god, I would have certainly shot at that car.

A while ago, someone reported here that their pram got hit by a mini-van and baby went flying on the other side of the road. It took more than 30 min for 112 to arrive !! This is the whole case, I really want to teach a lesson to such reckless drivers, hence this thread to ask ya all, where and how I/we should report such cases.
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 13.Jul.2009, 10:05 AM
Post #8

Say to yourself "jag bor i Sverige" and repeat it several times and calm down.

I totaly agree that teaching these idiots a lesson is what is needed. However even if you have the number plate polisen will do nothing. They are not interested at the best of times and now it is semester time and they are short staffed and will be too busy manning the fika room wink.gif

As you pointed out it took them 30min to respond when someone was hit, so why would they even care.

Sometimes it is just better to go all Swedish.
+
locaxy
post 13.Jul.2009, 03:45 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Inletwatcher @ 13.Jul.2009, 08:51 AM) *
Oh yes... I have hit a car with my palm a few times as it wizzed by my toes!

That's the best you can do. It usually resonates enough inside the car to get their attention.

OP, there's not much you can do if you don't have the license number and know the elderly couple. Next time, write it down along with any witnesses coordinates and I can assure you the cops will do something about it. If nothing else, the driver will get scared.
+
The Lix-a
post 13.Jul.2009, 05:48 PM
Post #10

seeing as motorbikes are allowed to ride on pavements here!, would they care about a near hit and run hmmm?
Me and my girlfriend today nearly got hit by 3 kids on bikes speeeding round a corner, on the pavement i add, man i cant explain how mad it makes me. Why is it legal, its a motor vehicle should be on the road, ahhhhh!
and the fact these kids think they look so cool, yeah right your too scared to ride on the road with the other traffic.
+
Marathongirl
post 13.Jul.2009, 06:03 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Renfeh Hguh @ 13.Jul.2009, 09:37 AM) *
Some days I wish I was carrying a baseball bat when crossing to pay back the ones that do sneak through. angry.gif

I live in the States(Chicago)right now and encounter these kind of drivers on a daily basis. So glad to hear someone else wishing for a baseball bat! I too have fantasized about beating a nice big dent into someone's auto, or smashing a window of one of these arsehole drivers; and I'm not a violent person!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: