The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Organized religion

A scathing endictment

Jamtjim
post 17.Jul.2009, 09:18 PM
Post #1

“Hello. I’d like to start this with a request, and this one goes out to the followers of the three Abrahamic religions: the Muslims, Christians, and Jews. It’s just a little thing, really, but do you think that when you’ve finished smashing up the world and blowing each other to bits and demanding special privileges while you do it, do you think that maybe the rest of us could sort of have our planet back? I wouldn’t ask, but the thing is, I’m starting to think that there must be something written in the special books that each of you so enjoy referring to that it’s okay to behave like precious, petulant, pugnacious, pricks. Forgive the alliteration, but your persistent, power-mad punch-ups are pissing me off. It’s mainly the extremists obviously, but not exclusively. It’s a lot of ‘main-streamers’ as well. Let me give you an example of what I’m talking about.

“Muslims: listen up my bearded and veily friends! Calm down, okay? Stop blowing stuff up. Not everything that said about you is an attack on the prophet Mohammad and Allah that needs to end in the infidel being destroyed. Have a cup of tea, put on a Cat Stevens record, sit down and chill out. I mean seriously, what’s wrong with a strongly-worded letter to The Times?

“Christians: you and your churches don’t get to be millionaires while other people have nothing at all. They’re your bloody rules; either stick to them or abandon the faith. And stop persecuting and killing people you judge to be immoral. Oh, and stop pretending you’re celibate — it’s a cover-up for being a gay or a nonce. Right, that’s two ticked off.

“Jews! I know you’re god’s ‘Chosen People’ and the rest of us are just whatever, but when Israel behaves like a violent, psychopathic bully and someone mentions it that doesn’t make them anti-Semitic. And for the record, your troubled history is not a license to act with impunity now.

“So, when the letters come (and I’m guessing they will), I can guarantee that each one of those faiths will be convinced that I’ve singled them out for special criticism.

[In mock Arabic accent] “Why did it have to be us? Islam is a peaceful faith!

[In upper class British accent] “I don’t see what’s wrong with being Christian? We’re a peaceful, loving faith.

[In affronted, huffy voice] “How dare you after all we’ve been through! We Jews know how terrible violence can be.

“You see, all of them will be convinced that they’re the ones being picked on. The Abrahamic faiths are like scousers: they’re always convinced they have it harder than everyone else.

“And why is it that all of these faiths claim to be peaceful, when even a most fleeting glance at a history of warfare will tell you otherwise? The relationship between religion and warfare is very similar to the relationship between Ant and Dec: you could have one without the other, but I’m not sure anyone would see the point. I wouldn’t actually like it, but it would be refreshing to hear one of them come out and say, ‘Our faith’s violent as you like. We love a scrap, us lot, we do. Our special book says “fight fight smash maim murder kill fight fight.” That’s why I signed up to be honest. I’m a bit naughty, know what I mean?’ But yet all of them claim to be peaceful religions. Yeah, peaceful right up to the point where someone takes something they think is theirs, or says the wrong thing or looks at them funny. Then it’s fighty smashy kicky punchy all the way. I know this’ll upset a lot of people and frankly I don’t care. I’m getting so sick of religious people screwing it up for the rest of us.

“Please don’t kill us, seriously. As far as I’m concerned this is the only chance we get. When we die it’s all over — there’s no virgins and pearly gates waiting for us, no big, beardy man saying, ‘Right, so how do you think that went, then? Killed a lot of people in my name I see. Not really what I had in mind. Um, tell you what, have another go as a worm.’

“While we’re at it, I’m sick of religious people forcing their children to define themselves by their parents’ faith. A four-year-old is no more a Christian than he is a member of the Postal Workers’ union. [in child's voice] ‘We want a fair working wage, decent working conditions, and time allotted to see the new Transformers film.’

“This week Lydia Playfoot, who took Millay School in Horsham to the high court so she could wear jewelry to prove she’s staying a virgin for Jesus, lost her case. Good. I’m glad. I don’t care how many times her parents claim it was her idea, rules is rules, and if you want to wear a ring that tells everyone you’re not having any sex you can get married like the rest of us. Now, the lawyer for the chaste Miss Playfoot said the question for the judge was ‘What are the religious rights of school children in the school context?’ Well, I’m no judge (not yet, anyway), but if you want my opinion, none. No rights. No religious rights whatsoever. School’s for learning. Okay? If you want to have a little pray before math so that God will prevent Mr. Figures from setting too hard a test, or prevent the P.E. teacher from being a colossal pervert, then go head, fill your boots. If you want to pop on a feathered headdress and chant and mumble and sacrifice something you can do that on your own time. (Or take a drama course, pretend it’s art, and get a degree in it. That’s what I did.) The lawyer, Mr. Diamond, argued, ’secular authorities cannot rule on religious truth.’ Hmm. Well, Mr. Diamond, I’m going to assume you’re not related to Neil Diamond, because he rocks. Yes, I like Neil Diamond. And Prince. And I’m married — go figure. But the point is ‘religious truth’ is a foxy one, because religion, by its very nature, doesn’t tend to concern itself with truth. There simply isn’t time for truth. By the time all the singing and candle-lighting and toadying and condemning and hiding from science is done, truth has given up and gone down to the pub for a pint. Here’s the truth: faith is about as interested in truth as I am in hanging out with Anthony Warrel Thompson, i.e, not very.

“Now, I know that most religious folk are moderate and reasonable and wear tidy jumpers and eat cheese, like real people. And on hearing this they’ll mainly feel pity for me, rather than issue a death sentence. But they have to accept that they are the power base for the nutters. Without their passive support the loonies in charge of these faiths would just be loonies, safely locked away and medicated — somewhere nice with a view of some trees where they can claim they have a direct channel to god between sessions making tapestry, drinks coasters, watching Teletubbies and talking about their days in the Hitler Youth. The ordinary faithful make these vicious, tyrannical thugs what they are. See, I get angry that shows like Celebrity and Big Brother and insert-title-of-wretched-show-here still fill our lives with vapid, pointless emptiness, and I wish the producers and development executives would crawl back under the rocks they emerged from, but the truth is they sell stuff that people consume. Without the audience to prop it up, Heat magazine and fundamental religious fanaticism goes away. Imagine what humanity might be capable of if we had that much spare time! We could explore space properly, have decent look in the sea, find a cure for James Blunt, anything!

“Thank you very much. Letters to the usual address.”

Unfortunately not my words but those of Marcus Brigstocke, a british comedian as broadcast on BBC Radio 4. - Jamtjim
Go to the top of the page
+
Inletwatcher
post 18.Jul.2009, 10:56 AM
Post #2

Most excellent post Jamtim!

I would love to see others add to this thread.

I personally don't believe in God, as I have read several different 'bibles' and came to the conclusion in my own mind. The peace and wholeness that one feels when they are in the 'presence' of God, or after being 'saved' for example is brought from within ones own being. Like taking a good dump, or a good scrub down in the bath. Nothing like that good clean feeling, heh?

Another problem for me in faith is we are taught over and over and over that God is a loving God. Bullsh*t. Where is this loving God when a wee one of his flock is being bounced up and down on a grown-ups groin? Where in the F*ck is God when his animals are being mistreated, starved, ect. Where is God. In a rock? In a tree? Taught that faith is believing without seeing, he is everywhere...so why not lend a hand to help 'his flock' Yeah yeah free will. Whatever.

Religion in my not so humble opinion is made up by men. Men who wanted to have control of his family, household, and his countryside by the threat of eternal damnation in the fire pits of hell. If I am wrong, well, then I am wrong. I will burn with the rest of my buddies and have one hell of a party for all of eternity. Or, will I be re-born into the body of a new baby, or a bird, or a whale, to get right what I did not do this time around. Who really knows.

Inletwatcher
+
Miss Kitten
post 18.Jul.2009, 11:49 AM
Post #3

Personally I don't have anything against religious people. Most of them keep themselves and their religion to themselves, which is the way it should be. It's the ones who go out there and proselytize that irritate me. Seriously, if I was interested in the Jehovah's Witness faith, then I'd look into it myself. Then there are those who do very bad things in "God's name" and have the audacity to claim to know what God "wants," i.e.: Fred Phelps. Such behavior is a disgrace to religion.

Anyway, I'm sure that most people here know I'm an atheist. Those among you who wish to tell me I'll be going to hell for being a non-believer needn't bother. That would only scare me if I actually believed that hell was a real place. You might as well tell me I'm going to Narnia.

I wasn't always this way, though. For years I considered myself an agnostic, still open to the possibility of there being a God. There was even a time when I desperately wanted to believe in God. Years ago, I had this boyfriend who was actively Christian (Pentecostal). Everyone in my family and all of my closest friends were all atheists or at least inactive in their religion, so I'd never really been around someone as into God as he was. God was very real and very important to him and since I cared about him a great deal and wanted to make him happy, I decided to give this religion thing a try. I went to church with him, tried to pray, tried to feel something, anything, but there was nothing there to feel. There was nothing there at all. It just didn't work.

Eventually I broke up with that guy. The religion thing didn't have anything to do with us breaking up, but it never would have worked out between us, anyway.
+
ziabach
post 18.Jul.2009, 11:53 AM
Post #4

I consider my self agnostic, but if I chose any religion is would be Amish, tongue.gif
+
Fishtank
post 18.Jul.2009, 12:20 PM
Post #5

Jamtjim, excellent post.

I dont know if I am religious at all. But one thing I know for sure people who can sense the difference between right and wrong and follow their conscience usuualy dont need pill of religion as vehicle to live life.

But anyway its just my view.

Hope no one will blow me off.

*On lighter side, after kicking three religions so well, I can SENSE the opportunity to push forward some OTHER religion to FILL THE NEVER ENDING GAP. smile.gif

Anyone?????? Any ideas??
+
Plowbridge
post 18.Jul.2009, 12:24 PM
Post #6

The worst religion is capitalism which has a God called Greed. Most people seem to find the pursuit of that acceptable though.
+
jack sprat
post 18.Jul.2009, 12:32 PM
Post #7

Fair comment ,however the god,Greed,is worshiped by those at the top of all types of countries,societies and economies,...and does not not only apply to capitalism.
+
Stüpid
post 18.Jul.2009, 12:38 PM
Post #8

Jamtjim the funny thing in your post is:

“Muslims: listen up my bearded and veily friends! Calm down, okay? Stop blowing stuff up. Not everything that said about you is an attack on the prophet Mohammad and Allah that needs to end in the infidel being destroyed. Have a cup of tea, put on a Cat Stevens record, sit down and chill out. I mean seriously, what’s wrong with a strongly-worded letter to The Times?

I still see people on streets with big beards. It really looks funny. It does'nt get into their ears that it's not allowed to have a bird's nest in them.
+
Holecutter > The Howl ...
post 18.Jul.2009, 12:41 PM
Post #9

Jamtjim...brilliant, even it is from someone else.

Hard to believe in any faith, when one is hell bent on a World-wide campaign of bonking boys. Another that's led by a psychopathic bigamist, and another that that intends to put us all in debt up to our eyeballs.

angry.gif
+
Plowbridge
post 18.Jul.2009, 12:52 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (jack sprat @ 18.Jul.2009, 01:32 PM) *
Fair comment ,however the god,Greed,is worshiped by those at the top of all types of countries,societies and economies,...and does not not only apply to capitalism.

I accept that Capitalism does not hold rights on greed but it is the model that requires worship of it more than any other. It is also less controllable than many religions.

I don't believe in God but why bash those who do for following a mantra in life that is in the main less destructive than the pursuit of money and possessions at the expense of others.
+
Jamtjim
post 18.Jul.2009, 01:10 PM
Post #11

WARNING!! - Some people may find some of my comments below offensive... Good! If critisism of peoples religious faith and the denial of all powerfull super beings is likely to cause you terrible offense, then please stop reading this post right here and skip to the next one. Better still put me on your ignore list so I cant offend you in the future. If however you can take it read on past this line...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Ok if you are one of those people who have ignored my warnings but are still going to be offended by what I write here... well f%¤k you, you stupid mother f&%king idiot... go on get offended I warned you, you braindead , moronic c&%t!

Ooo... its like moderator taunting... Anyway back to being sensible.

I guess what really gets me it the underlying dishonesty and immorality by which so many people go about promoting their religious beliefs.

At the bidding of a friend of mine who is a creationist (yep, the same one who takes this piss out of certain Irish people believing in leprechauns whilst holding on to the notion that the world and everyting in it was created by a supernatural being in 6 days about 7 thousand years ago) I watched a couple of creationist DVDs...

Haha... now that was a laugh... talk about wackos.

The first was a lecture by a "astrophysicist" who tried to explain how light coming from stars millions of light years away could actually be only a few thousand years old. My mate gave it to me because I also have a degree in astrophysics and he thought I might be able to better explain it to him. Oh this guy was brilliant... he would get hold of a certain theory and explain a small part of it badly and then either make up or leave out the rest. It all sounded convincing enough... well until you really looked at it. Anyway this guy either didnt actually have a PhD in astrophysics and LIED that he did else he did have his PhD and LIED about the science. Either way he is a LIAR... but ok, so he lied, no harm done right?

The next DVD was by an Austrailian guy who argued against Global Warming. According to him the earths climate has always been changing (yep with you there) and we can be sure about this with absolute certainty due to... his studies of the bible. Yep according to this tit, we need not worry about climate change because it is what god wants and as such must be good! Well that seals it then... lets continue to pump all our shit out into the air, deforestate, poison the soil with pesticides and fertilisers. Lets ignore all the warnings, let millions of people be displaced, starve and die because its gods will. Please excuse my swearing but I think that it is justified in this case... what a fucking idiot!

The problem is that there are people who for whatever reason are surseptable to this kind of rubbish. If this guy convinces them that he is right... well we are all screwed and we are all screwed thanks to a fairy story...

What an epitaph... we landed men on the moon, invented electronics, created democracy and avoided nuclear war, but we were all destroyed as the result of a sodding fairy tale!

There was a guy in a recent US administration who said that we need not do anything about global warming because the second coming was nigh and Jesus would soon solve all our problems... The result... no Kyoto agreement... gee thanks mate!

You see people believing in silly supernatural stories isnt harmless. I dont just mean the brainwashed extremists who fly planes into buildings or assassinate abortion doctors, I mean the average joe who can suspend disbelief enough to believe in god... because hey, god loves us and wouldnt let anything bad happen to us right?

Ok lets think about this. God is omniscient (all knowing) and omnipotent (all knowing). One day about 6 thousand years ago he decided to create the universe as we know it over 6 days (except he made it look like it took billions of years presumeably to give geologists jobs) and everything he created was good. No bad coz hey god is only nice. But god also created the devil who was bad but also good becasue all god creates it good. Turns out that the Devil is a bit of a bastard and corrupted Eve (you bloody women... its all your fault) and thus sin is introduced into the world. But hang on god is all knowing so he knew this would happen yet he still created the universe. Furthermore god can do anything right, so why didnt he step in and do something about it? Oh no he thought it is better to let evil proporgate and cause suffering to millions over millenia... what an asshole.

Ah but god works in mysterious ways right? He is nice really. Oh yes Adolf Hitler was a really nice guy... he just worked in mysterious ways... F&%king mysterious if you ask me! Dont worry when some mugger stabs you to get your wallet... as you lie bleeding on the pavement be sure to feel comfort that the mugger worked in a mysterious way!

I mean... come on people...grow up!! Just because your mummy told you that there was a god doesnt mean its true! My mum told me that masterbation gives you boils yet dispite endulging in many a sneeky "Anne Frank" over the late 20 years or so I have never had a single boil! Go figure...
+
Miss Kitten
post 18.Jul.2009, 01:21 PM
Post #12

Along with most cats, I believe in Ceiling Cat.

LOLcat Bible Genesis 1
+
Paulo +fab muscular than ...
post 18.Jul.2009, 01:35 PM
Post #13

I might say something that is extremely politically incorrect, and please no offence to anyone, but anyway that's how I see it.

I tend to believe that anyone who is somehow a bit fanatic with religion, particularly without questioning the folk who are in charge of any religious organisation one's a member of, according to my view, is definetely stupid.

How can you live in this world without questioning the way things are done, and why it works that way, I mean no matter how brainwashed one is supposed to be I cannot believe that from the bottom of someone's heart he/she always took it as a definite word and never tried to look at it a bit suspiciously, especially when there is really a lot that is scarcely convincing when it comes to how faith was structured by human-beings as might as well loads of incongruencies and inconsistencies propagated throughtout the centuries in its very ideology, the form in which it was practised and/or preached, and finally the atrocities that were committed on behalf of God, despite the fact that the clergy(or whoever be an ecclesiastical representative-like of an organised religion) are always keen to reassure that the "Holly" Book, The book of Revelation or whatsoever regardless of doctrine is immutable and the only truth; Scriptures that are fundamentally clearly metaphorical and are therefore prone to different interpretations.

How can they be taken seriously, particular in the days that we are living now?
(and honestly these doubts have nothing to do with someone's faith in a God, but in an strongly established 'status quo')
+
Plowbridge
post 18.Jul.2009, 01:38 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Paulo +fab muscular than Jonnhy @ 18.Jul.2009, 02:35 PM) *
How can you live in this world without questioning the way things are done, and why it works that way, I mean no matter how brainwashed one is supposed to be I cannot believe ... (show full quote)

Sounds like a description of Swedes smile.gif
+
Paulo +fab muscular than ...
post 18.Jul.2009, 01:41 PM
Post #15

blink.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: