The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Swine flu - worldwide outbreak 2009

WHO has raised the alert level to 5

Joemath
post 26.Apr.2009, 04:08 AM
Post #1

A mixture of pig, bird and human genetic material Flu has appeared in St. Francis Prep in Queens, NYC.
At least 8 students have the disease.
Precautions include sanitizing buildings and increasing the available supplies of Tamiflu.
For high school students, the flu may have little impact. 800-808-1987 is the number to
call in NYC for residents and visitors . Symptoms are fever, cough, severe aches, sneezing and vomiting.

The World Health Organization provides guidance on its website:

http://www.who.int/topics/avian_influenza/en/

http://www.who.int/csr/swine_flu/swineflu_qanda_20090425.pdf

Joseph S. Maresca
Go to the top of the page
+
Jakub72
post 26.Apr.2009, 09:05 AM
Post #2

...One thing is very clear with the Swine Flu Outbreak, the American media is the single biggest threat to civilized life. The hype at which this is being over reported and over stressed is starting to really irritate me. Great!!! Get Joe the Plumber all paranoid, he runs to the DR and gets a prescrition for the latest and greatest anti-viral, and the pharma-evils laugh it off all the way to the bank. These drug giants have plenty of anti-virals in their supply chain; they sit and wait, like sharks circling, for another pandemic to hit. According to the best journalism out there, CNN experts say that panademics are like earthquakes, we are over due for one. Another well covered threat to humanity...Pulitzers for everybody!!!!
+
*Grandma Death*
post 26.Apr.2009, 10:17 AM
Post #3

I'm flying to Southern California tomorrow. Hopefully they'll let me back into Sweden in two weeks!
+
liveman
post 26.Apr.2009, 01:17 PM
Post #4

What to do?

Ehmmm, lets see...

Sweden must quarantine everyone arriving from Mexico, USA and Canada biggrin.gif
+
Joemath
post 26.Apr.2009, 03:21 PM
Post #5

Personal sanitation is paramount as are early warning systems for the general public.
+
liveman
post 26.Apr.2009, 05:04 PM
Post #6

Swine flu fears prompt quarantine plans, pork bans (AP)

AP - Countries planned quarantines, tightened rules on pork imports and tested airline passengers for fevers as global health officials tried Sunday to come up with uniform ways to battle a deadly strain of swine flu. Nations from New Zealand to France reported new suspected cases and some warned citizens against travel to North America.

So I was right afterall...
+
Weekend_warrior
post 26.Apr.2009, 09:01 PM
Post #7

Can we go and get a shot at a hospital even if we have no symptoms? A flu vaccination. I know they don't have a 100% effective cure for this new strain, but the tamiflu shot seems to have moderate success.

Perhaps I will wait for further developments. The only fatalities have taken place in Mexico. Everyone stateside has only had minor symptoms and is being treated. Still the CDC worries that this strain could mutate further, or that worse cases are still to come.

I am only thinking about getting a shot, becuase of how fast it spread. From Mexico to New York, France, even NEW ZEALAND!!!!!!!
+
jim747
post 29.Apr.2009, 08:02 AM
Post #8

Surely all you need for swine flue is a little bit of oinkment?
+
*Grandma Death*
post 29.Apr.2009, 02:22 PM
Post #9

Just want to add I have been in Southern California now for 3 days and I'm still flu-free! YaY!
+
Dazzler
post 29.Apr.2009, 02:30 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (jim747 @ 29.Apr.2009, 08:02 AM) *
Surely all you need for swine flue is a little bit of oinkment?

Nicely done!

Remember to share please, dont be a pig about it!
+
Mack
post 29.Apr.2009, 02:51 PM
Post #11

1000's of people die from the regular flu every year in the US. So far there is no indication that this flu is more deadly then our normal flu strains just that more people will be susceptible to it.

The media is driving me crazy with all the hype and this banning of pork products is totally stupid as the disease can't be transmitted in this fashion.
Be afraid people... be afraid... and very stupid. I am sure the makers of Tamiflu (which is a very ineffective product) are laughing.
+
High Priestess Kang - Slu...
post 29.Apr.2009, 03:10 PM
Post #12

Joe touched on this but it's of paramount importance. Most illnesses can be prevented by simply keeping clean. This means washing your hands (often) with plain old soap and water (studies have shown it's not necessarily about the anti-bacterial nature of the product but the combination of friction and hot water that does the trick in eliminating the germs).

As for the vaccine, there is no vaccine currently available for this particular strain of flu. The current flu vaccine (for this year) addresses part of the problem, but not the entire virus.
+
tigger007
post 29.Apr.2009, 03:14 PM
Post #13

well if u ask a religious person,he would say we are in the last days of time. the 5 horseman are among us and with all these droughts,food shortages,war,sickness spreading.protecting yourself will come thru knowledge and willing to help others.
+
Squiddy
post 29.Apr.2009, 03:38 PM
Post #14

Why would would anyone ask a religious person their opinion? It's got nothing to do with religion at all.

Anyway, I thought it was the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse: Death, War, Famine and Pestilence. Or has their friend 'Mild-Flu' joined the gang too?
+
Mack
post 29.Apr.2009, 05:33 PM
Post #15

Killing Swine to Prevent Swine Flu and other stupidity.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: