The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Art thief seeks statue resale 'to cover expenses'

Strange case in Malmö

The Local
post 10.May.2009, 09:39 AM
Post #1

A rowing club in Malmö has opened negotiations with a thief that made off with their statue last autumn.

"It has not gone that well so far. We don't have the money that they want," said Peter Kauranen at Malmö Rowing Club to local newspaper Sydsvenskan.

"The thief has realized that the statue is so well known that it can't be sold at auction. Now he wants to be compensated for 'his expenses'," Kauranen told the newspaper.

The statue, "The Indian" or "Spirit of Transportation" by Carl Milles, was donated to the club by Malmö council in the 1960s and from 1972 until last November sat outside the club's premises.

108 words remaining. Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
DStrope
post 10.May.2009, 03:38 PM
Post #2

make a deal with him, get it back, and then arrest him.
+
freethinker
post 10.May.2009, 07:26 PM
Post #3

Amazing...lol now criminals are asking to be compensated by the victems when the crime does not go as planed. I can picture it now...lol A thief in court explains to a judge that the security system was too hard to get around, and the alarm system too good. "I lost my equiptment, and noise from the alarm caused me to see a doctor for my nerves, and I demand the victem compensate me in the amount of..." Does anyone else find this incomprehensible? Where are the police while these negotiations are taking place? "Hello" authorities if the criminals are communicating with the victems...have you heard of tracing a line...hmmm... Ello...knock knock...anyone home in there...geesh go get the criminals.
+
Roger O. Thornhill
post 10.May.2009, 08:50 PM
Post #4

This type of stuff happens in the USA. Maybe the cops should look for an American.
+
Tennin
post 11.May.2009, 06:21 AM
Post #5

What a joke. The thief wants compensation for not being able to steal the stolen item. Wow!!! This guy should be arrested for his crime, and for being a complete jerk for demanding compensation. Technically he's holding the statue hostage for demanding money and not returning it until doing so.
What ever happened to the thief realizing he did something stupid, and simply returning it.
+
dtes
post 11.May.2009, 01:43 PM
Post #6

you say this happens in america? i was thinking this is rather swedish, Mr roger thornhill, you watch way too much tv!
+
Princess P
post 11.May.2009, 01:48 PM
Post #7

I thought that this was a fairly common practise amongst art theives. They steal something and then sell it back to the insurance company for a lot less than the insurance company would have to pay out otherwise.

Of course I may have imagined this.
+
Inletwatcher
post 11.May.2009, 02:44 PM
Post #8

I remember when they stole the Ronald Mcdonald statue from the eatery up the road from my old house. A few years later it ended up in someone's garden.
Why can't they do a sting and do the cop thing and catch them. Lazy.
Inlet
+
freethinker
post 12.May.2009, 05:28 AM
Post #9

Inletwatcher, does Sweden have a Duncan Doughnuts shop? here in the States cops seem to love hanging out there, so maybe the Swedish Police are filling up on sugary goodness too?

I hope the thief or thieves don't get away with it. Lot's of sillyness will follow if they do. here in the US it's quite possible for a thief to break into a home, and fall down hurting him/herself in the process and end up sueing the owner for any injuries. I hope Sweden has the sence to avoid that.
+
Inletwatcher
post 12.May.2009, 07:17 AM
Post #10

No Duncans do I smell, nor Krispy Kream!! Ohh I remember when you saw the red light on the outside of the building, that ment that they were coming out of the oven.

The cops here, from what I have personally seen **I used to live 1/2 block from the copshop.. they stay in their clubhouse and hang out. I in the 4 years of being here have seen 2 cars pulled over. Okay maybe 3.
+
freethinker
post 12.May.2009, 07:33 AM
Post #11

WoW, guess it's a leadfoot's dream there...lol
+
Roger O. Thornhill
post 12.May.2009, 07:39 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (dtes @ 11.May.2009, 02:43 PM) *
you say this happens in america? i was thinking this is rather swedish, Mr roger thornhill, you watch way too much tv!

I don't understand your comment. What does TV have to do with my comment?

You also mistated what I wrote. I wrote that this "type" of thing happens in US not this exact same thing.

I give you an example. Something called "Castle Doctrine" laws are sweeping the country (state level). Essentially what they have in common is that if one feels threatened with great bodily harm or death, or to save someone else from same, one can shoot your attacker and the government has to prove that it was not self defense. The applicable part to our discussion is that the law also prevents civil claims against you by your attacker or survivors. Each state with the this law has its own variation.

The similarity with the Swedish situation- compensation for injury during the commission of a crime; in the Swedish case monetary expenses during the commission of a crime, in the above, compensation for physical injury during the commission of a crime.

You weren't referring to the movie "Liar, Liar" with Jim Carrey? If I recall, in that movie his secretary had to pay a judgement against her to someone who was injured while robbing her.

The reason it was in the movie was to reflect the absurdity of what actually happens in the US legal system.
+
Plowbridge
post 12.May.2009, 09:15 AM
Post #13

It is indeed quite common for this to happen regardless of the country. Not all art is stolen to order and where possible Insurance companies are quite willing to pay out a lesser fee to retrieve a piece rather than the full insured valuation. It makes sound economic sense.
+
Eric Cantona
post 12.May.2009, 09:23 AM
Post #14

Providing insight to the intricacies of theft. Who'd have thought it?
+
*fielding*
post 12.May.2009, 10:50 AM
Post #15

The more important question I think is why is the figure in the statue carrying the canoe like that? Seems like a really awkward way to portage ...
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: