The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Treatment of women by Islam and other religions

Comparisons, both modern day and historical

DidiE
post 14.May.2009, 08:17 AM
Post #1

I received this comment from Idialogue on the thread discussing the Swedish citizen charged with terrorist activities. I made the comment that as a woman, I'd prefer to live with the Baptists, as opposed to Taliban.
He says
DidiE, This is another misconception .. I dont blame you . it is a propaganda by the media that is all .
I am just giving here 2 examples , there are several but the length of comment is only 1,000 letters
1) When did the europe give the right of Vote to women ? in 1950s.. read history .. When did Islam gives right of Women to vote ? 1400 years ago
2) In Dark ages of Europe, Christians used to Burn Women , Dont you read the history ? and called them Bitches/Witches.. Dont they ? It is Islam which gives Light to Europe at that time from Spain/Undloos
3) .. several others.. facts may be i shd write it some where as comment box dont allow me in length.
I allways love to listen critics against islam So that we can have a peaceful dialogue.. and i can clearify several misconceptions.
Peace be on you my Friend
iDialogue

With the same peace back at cha, would like to state that historic maltreatment of women by one religion centuries ago does not prove that another religion is more enlightened now in its treatment of women today. Islam is based on teachings that were codified a hundred or so years after Mohammed died. A fundamental precept of this system is that the teachings are perfect, and can never be changed. Thus, the basic value of women in this system is based on the 'enlightened' thinking of a desert tribe back in the day.

Say what you will about women's roles in Christianity, and boy, can we say a lot, it is not viewed as a stagnant system by many of its proponents, and even more importantly, in lands where Christianity was the major religion, the Reformation and alternative schools of thought created societies where, slowly, slowly, women's roles became more egalitarian.

Not to oversimplify matters,but the basic fact remains- the West's tradition of questioning authority (refer back to Enlightment and development of democratic government, etc.) has resulted in systems that are capable of change, and far more capable, in my opinion, of responding to human rights issues, than is Sharia. We can blast each other back and forth with verses from the Koran and your prophet all day, but one only has to look around the world to see in which countries women enjoy full emancipation and active participation in day to day life. I am sure you will answer back that the majority of Muslima sisters want the protection of their own system. You have a vested interest in believing so. I am not sure at all that this is true, and view the challenge of addressing the role of women as one of the fundamental threats to Islam. Mao Tse Dong said, Women hold up half the sky. It was about the only thing he said worth remembering, but he said it, so peace to him, too.
Go to the top of the page
+
delenn
post 14.May.2009, 11:22 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (DidiE @ 14.May.2009, 09:17 AM) *
in lands where Christianity was the major religion, the Reformation and alternative schools of thought created societies where, slowly, slowly, women's roles became more egalitarian.

In my personal opinion women got equal roles in the society when AND DUE to the religion having lost its role. One example: the right of abortion is a major issue regarding women rights, but Catolic (and Orthodox) Church, as I know, is still oposed to it. If Vatical still have had some legal right to enforce abortion prohibition, it would be prohibited.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 14.May.2009, 11:35 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (DidiE @ 14.May.2009, 09:17 AM) *
in lands where Christianity was the major religion, the Reformation and alternative schools of thought created societies where, slowly, slowly, women's roles became more egalitarian.

I think this was despite rather than because.
+
Kind Man
post 14.May.2009, 11:36 AM
Post #4

More Women accept Islam than men. it is because Islam gives much More respect to Women.

according to Mohammad peace be upon him teaching. He said Paradise lies under your mother's feet.

Mohammad pbuh said. serve your mother three times more than your father.

the problem is not Islam but our culture, some of Asian men treat women bad but it is coz of the culture toward women and it is because we didnt read what Prophet told us and we are not following his teaching.

you will not find any word of him against women and He always praised the women.

we have good and bad everywhere who treat women bad even in europe. mostly they use their body for
advertisement.

for example: if you wanna sell a car then you need a girl with Bikini to advertise for you.
in every things they use girls to sell products. and if we go by Bible teaching Bible seriously says many bad things about women.
+
Princess P
post 14.May.2009, 11:40 AM
Post #5

The baptist church massively opresses women. In the church I used to go to it's always the women brewing the tea and putting out the digestives after the service. Never the men. Bloody disgrace if you ask me.
+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 14.May.2009, 11:45 AM
Post #6

It's always the weasel words and general slimeyness that gets me...
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 14.May.2009, 11:45 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Kind Man @ 14.May.2009, 12:36 PM) *
you will not find any word of him against women and He always praised the women.

Sura 4:34?
+
Kind Man
post 14.May.2009, 11:51 AM
Post #8

Thanks for your interest in Islam smile.gif
here is the answer http://www.themodernreligion.com/women/dv-4-34-shafaat.html please always keep in mind that ARABIC grammar is taken from Holy Quran and since Quran is pure word of God not Mohammad. You need to investigate more to translate one verse of Holy Quran because it is written in Highest grammar where many islamic scholar still doubt many words.

http://www.themodernreligion.com/women/dv-4-34-shafaat.html

please also read other part of Quran about women and see what God says.. we can clerify the this sura smile.gif
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 14.May.2009, 11:58 AM
Post #9

Thanks, Kind Man. Very interesting stuff... I enjoyed this bit immensely:

...beating is permissible but not advisable. They base their view on the fact that the Prophet intensely disliked the action. But to say that beating is only permissible but never advisable is to say that there is never any good in it but the husband can nevertheless resort to it if he wants to; in other words he can beat up his wife without any good reason. This, however, is a view that cannot possibly be attributed to the Book of God. We can expect the Holy Qur'an to mention beating only if there was some wisdom in that mention. Now there are two possible points of wisdom in the mention. First, the beating done within the limits defined by the Qur'an may indeed bring the husband and wife to some kind of understanding. This is not because of the pain involved, which in any case cannot be too much if the guidance in the Quran and Hadith are to be observed. Rather, the husband and wife may come closer together after beating because of the emotions involved. The wife may experience the depth of hurt and disturbance her nushuz is causing and if there is any love left among them may decide for that reason to change her conduct. It seems from observations of human behaviour know that a show of male physical energy can sometimes bring a woman out of a prolonged bad mood (5) even though this energy may be seemingly directed against her in the form of angry words or a slap, provided in this manifestation of energy there is an undercurrent of love and desire for the woman and no real harm is done to the woman.

Edit: I believe this to be true, as I know many women who experience hurt and disturbance when they get new shoes.
+
Kind Man
post 14.May.2009, 12:05 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Bee @ 14.May.2009, 11:04 AM) *
why has this got "nazi gold" wrote all over it... dry.gif I use Swedbank when I launder my funds and have never had any problems.

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch @ 14.May.2009, 11:45 AM) *
Sura 4:34?

QUOTE (Markbase with an Invisible Q @ 14.May.2009, 11:58 AM) *
Thanks, Kind Man. Very interesting stuff... I enjoyed this bit immensely:

Hi

Please dont judge Islam or Muslims by what Ahmad or Mamood is done or doing. or by unknown online comments or books by enemy of Islams.

everyday alone more than 2 books are written against Islam but still it is fastest growning religion smile.gif
You wanna judge Islam then go to main SOURCE read Quran. as a muslim i accept that we have many uneducated stupids sheiks who don't understand Islam and they preach.

the best example of Islam is PROPHET MOHAMMAD PEACE BE UPON HIM read a book about Him.

Can someone tell me why more women accepts Islam than men?
+
post 14.May.2009, 12:08 PM
Post #11

Umm... you supplied the link to this "enemy of Islam" information - in other words, you felt that the content of that particular web page best expressed your views. Or am I missing something here?
+
post 14.May.2009, 12:09 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Kind Man @ 14.May.2009, 01:05 PM) *
Can someone tell me why more women accepts Islam than men?

Because men force them to, maybe?
+
Kind Man
post 14.May.2009, 12:13 PM
Post #13

You can not find any religion on the face of earth to speak so much about women and their rights. Prophet Jesus peace be upon him his total mission was like 2 years a few months

The Jews didn't let me to stay longer on this earth ,so during his time he was busy running away from Jews smile.gif and inshah'allah when he return back he would teaches us more smile.gif

So here it comes the only RELIGION which speaks more with details about WOMEN is ISLAM.

it is the religion which tells you that PARADISE is under your mother's feet.
it is the religion which tells you that women is mercy they are lights from God.

it tells all the best things about women. dont blame Islam religion. blame men coz as man and men has some stupid ego who wants to control women hehe lol
+
Princess P
post 14.May.2009, 12:17 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Markbase with an Invisible Q @ 14.May.2009, 12:58 PM) *
Thanks, Kind Man. Very interesting stuff... I enjoyed this bit immensely:. Edit: I believe this to be true, as I know many women who experience hurt and disturbance when they get new shoes.

Joking aside, that part you quoted is truely terrifying. Advocating domestic violence as a cure to relationship issues absolutely beggars belief.
+
Dazzler
post 14.May.2009, 12:19 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Kind Man @ 14.May.2009, 12:13 PM) *
You can not find any religion on the face of earth to speak so much about women and their rights. Prophet Jesus peace be upon him his total mission was like 2 years a few mon ... (show full quote)

Your a fucking idiot. You managed to turn a thread with great potential, into steaming pile of shit. Thanks, douchebag.
+

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: