The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Tips for finding work in Norrköping

Non-skilled job options for foreigners

Jukka
post 20.May.2009, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Ok so I have a UT visa I have been in sweden for 3 months and in that time i have advanced to level C in SFI.

Problem is my girlfriend is wanting to study in Norrköping in august which is great but I dont think I can move there with her.We are in stockholm at the moment and while I study SFI she is working.I want to study SAS after SFI and I am not eligable for student allowence until I have been here for 2 years.

I have shortlisted pubs in Norrköping where im willing to srub dishes aslong as I can get some money for both of us to survive while I study SAS in Norrköping.My girlfriend will be getting student allowence but its only enough for her to survive so has anybody got any tips for me in trying to find work there so I can move to Norrköping with her instead of us being apart.

I just dont have much faith in finding jobs at the moment as it is even hard for swedish people to get jobs so I am starting to stress a little.

Thanks in advanced for any advice.
Go to the top of the page
+
kerostarfx
post 20.May.2009, 10:02 PM
Post #2

Maybe you can have her apply for Bostadsbidrag, it's pretty much some extra cash for people between 18-29 years old that are jobless or below some income level I think.

Finding a job in Norrköping might be tough, you should look for pubs in Linköping as well.
+
Blazek
post 20.May.2009, 11:31 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Jukka @ 20.May.2009, 10:06 PM) *
I have shortlisted pubs in Norrköping where im willing to srub dishes

If that is the case, just print a CV with a cover letter that flat out says "I am a really hard worker and will perform any task asked of me etc..." and walk into a ton of pubs and shake hands.

If I only have a 1% chance, I only need to try 100 times.
+
Puffin
post 22.May.2009, 03:17 PM
Post #4

If you don't live with her you risk losing your UT - if it based on family ties to your girlfriend you are expected to live together as if you are married.

Have you registered with arbtesförmedlingen? Although they have their weaknesses it might be worth seeing if you are eligble for any paid work experience or training programmes not you have SFI C
+
Sethandra
post 21.Jun.2009, 09:59 AM
Post #5

I'm sorry to say this but finding working Norrköping is practically impossible. I have been in Norrköping since November 08 and have spent so much time on making myself known, applying for jobs and speaking to lots and lots of people. So much so that moving back to the UK looks like the only option. I love Norrköping but I would honestly tell foreigners not to look for working in this lovely town. There isn't even enough work for the Swedish people.

I'm sorry, that probably wasn't what you wanted to hear but I'm only telling the truth from my point of view and experience.
+
Greg in Canada
post 21.Jun.2009, 03:56 PM
Post #6

Same old story - non Swedes partnering with a Swede and not finding work due to language issues. It's gotta be tough.

I worked in pubs as a student but here's a couple of other things to think about. Are you any kind of a handyman? As a student, I was fortunate to find a landlord who owned a 18 unit apartment building. I offered to become the superintendent for the building in exchange for free rent in one of the apartments, I cut the grass, shovelled snow, mopped the halls and did general repairs around the building. It wasn't all that much work and it was great not having to pay rent for three years.

One summer I couldn't find a decent summer job so I started a summer house painting business with another student friend. We didn't know much about it at first but learned real quick. We kept our prices low to undercut the competition. I left at the end of the first year but my friend stayed with it and by the third summer he was so busy that all he did was price jobs and hired other students to do the work for him. After he graduated univiersity and found a full time job he even kept the painting business going on the side for a few years before selling it since it was a good source of extra income.

If you can't find work I'll always advise people to try to create work. Have a look at your skills and see if there is anything you can do to use them. If you can do any kind of handyman type work you really don't have to speak Swedish all that well. It's often a tough go at first, but once things start they begin to roll. There's headaches working for yourself but it's a lot more satisfying than working for somebody else, especially with some minimum wage pub job like you're talking about it. You just got to think outside the box sometimes.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: