The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Starting a business as a dependent on work visa?

Moving from US

swim26
post 4.Apr.2019, 05:39 PM
Post #1

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and looking for some guidance. My husband has a great job opportunity in Gotenburg, making about 57000 sek/m before taxes. We are from the US and both US citizens. Sweden offers a change in lifestyle that really interests us.

In the US, I'm a registered dietitian. In Sweden, however, I would need to take a test and do clinical hours, all in Swedish to get licensed as a dietitian. I do not know any Swedish at this point. So, that will take some time.

I can be a nutritionist in Sweden without any licensure. However, most of the jobs I have found require Swedish language fluency. So, I was thinking about having my own private practice for clients, speaking English. I do this in the States part-time so have a business here. I have read that there is a shortage of nutritionists/dietitians in Sweden.

If I am coming over on my husband's work visa as his dependent, what are the rules with starting my own business? It seems that if I were to try this without being a dependent, I would need to prove myself and my business before I came to Sweden.

If I did need to find a job in Sweden vs start my own, I'm not sure we'll make a move. It seems very hard to get a job there in healthcare without knowing Swedish. And, I've put a lot of time into my career and don't want to give it up.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
daniel7
post 28.Apr.2019, 10:36 AM
Post #2

As dependent on a work visa, you can work or start your own business with no restrictions.
+
Bsmith
post 28.Apr.2019, 11:18 AM
Post #3

The Swedish job market is unlike anything you have ever experienced in the US. I don't want to discourage you but, realistically, you will need to have enough money saved up to last you (factoring in your husband's salary less a substantial amount of taxes) for a couple of years until you learn the language, establish some contacts and learn the lay of the land.

Good luck.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: