The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Looking to buy a farm with my Family in Sweden

jack sprat
post 1.Dec.2009, 08:47 PM
Post #16

True the Angus could be a better bet,but they are more in need of housing than the Galloways which can rough it a lot more, and are as tough as old boots literally and are so slow growing.
Agree with the previous post that you need to think very carefully about commiting yourself to a 365 day working lifestyle if you have never done it before.
Go to the top of the page
+
Fishtank
post 1.Dec.2009, 08:58 PM
Post #17

and if nothing works towards farm dream, PLAY Farmville on Facebook. That seems to be driving people nuts all around world.
+
grahamkent
post 1.Dec.2009, 08:59 PM
Post #18

now your being silly, ive got 100 angus sucklers out all year round (with the regulation shelter)and right now ive got 10cm snow and its -12,
galloway are hobby cattle with very little kill out profit..
+
jack sprat
post 1.Dec.2009, 09:28 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (grahamkent @ 1.Dec.2009, 08:59 PM) *
now your being silly, ive got 100 angus sucklers out all year round (with the regulation shelter)and right now ive got 10cm snow and its -12,galloway are hobby cattle with ver ... (show full quote)

No doubt Angus are the best bet for profit.
Also no doubt that whilst the Angus can rough it and Winter out in certain locations they are not as tough and hardy as the Galloway.
Whilst I know it well from experience,if in doubt try comparing their hides sometime as just one example.
+
dsclimb
post 2.Dec.2009, 10:39 AM
Post #20

As we seem to have fully hijacked their thread I will continue. Our thinking is to switch away from my Sambos heinz varieties, which he likes but need wintering inside for many months, with the feed and space issues.

My background previously of old is more dairy, but we have no wish to be that committed and want something hardier, which will eat more of tree and bush seedlings (helping keep the fields clear and money for us) and provide some level of return. We are limited in winter space (without further building), so like life it is a compromise.

Hence, Highlands or Galloways, but will now consider Anguses too. Ta.
+
grahamkent
post 2.Dec.2009, 11:24 AM
Post #21

what do you do with the calves from your "57´s" sell them on after the summer ?
we sell on our worst 60% of bull calves for finishing,they weigh between 275 and 320 kg off the milk and as we are eco/krav we get 21kr/kilo live weight .
there is now way you can get this wth h-land or gals, the angus is just as good rough grazer as them, ours go loose in 130ha of forest, they survive!
thats my selling bit over, if you want any help give me a mail or a ring, we have set up quite a few angus herds in sweden now, always have plenty of pregnant heifers and 1st calvers for sale...
+
dsclimb
post 2.Dec.2009, 12:00 PM
Post #22

Yeah, generally sells on, keeping the odd one sometimes. It's obviously a bit harsher up there than here, so logically I see no reason why they shouldn't be problem free. Cheers for the advice and the offer.
+
Rick Methven
post 2.Dec.2009, 12:47 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (jack sprat @ 1.Dec.2009, 09:28 PM) *
No doubt Angus are the best bet for profit.Also no doubt that whilst the Angus can rough it and Winter out in certain locations they are not as tough and hardy as the Galloway ... (show full quote)

For hardiness and meat quality, the good old Welsh Black is the best.
+
Puffin
post 2.Dec.2009, 01:42 PM
Post #24

One of the biggest places for farms is LRF Fastigheter or Läntmännens Riksförbund - this is the Swedish National Farmers Union and they have their own estate agency where you can search for farms and agricultural property.
http://www.konsult.lrf.se/Makleri/

One of the things you might want to think about is what sort of farm you actually want - althoug gård is a generic word for farm - there are many different types - and you may want to think about whether you have the time or knowledge for the upkeep on 1000s of acres of agrcultural land. There may also be certain types of rights that you buy with certain types of property - such as hunting and fishing rights etc

The main types that you see are:

Lantgård (Country farm) - this a traditional farm with house, barns and fields
Hästgård (Horse farm) - this usually includes stables although some are huge and include ridingcetres etc
Skogsgård (förestry) - you need to be a little careful here as sometimes a skogsgård is literally just a forest and no house
There is also an Avstyckad gård - this is a farmhouse and perhaps some outbuildings only without huge lands - but often on a good sized plot between 3000-10,000 square metres

Do some searching on hemnet to get an idea of the costs - often the price of the agricultural lands appears to have a fairly fixed price dependent on crops and yields etc - whereas the price of the house element is often more negotiable
+
*SWEDEN HOUSE Real Estate Consult*
post 17.Sep.2012, 05:59 PM
Post #25

Hi!

We read you ad is old but did you found a Farm House in Sweden? We got the very nice and one of the best farm house For Sale 490 kvm in a very good condition situated in Småland close to Kalmar about 40 min away from the Kalmar airport.The nature around the farm is very pretty and 3 min from the farm is beautiful beach - in the lake. This a very good buy -
Regards Mic
+
Gordy
post 18.Sep.2012, 09:07 AM
Post #26

You're too late Mic, it seems the OP did indeed buy a farm in the woods and very close to the one you are selling. You'll have to try someone else!
+
Cymro
post 21.Jun.2016, 05:37 PM
Post #27

Now I am also going to hijack this thread unsure.gif mostly because I'm new to posting on The Local se or otherwise sorry!
However here goes : We are looking to buy in Sweden, small holding / small farm or a house with land ? Not too close to neighbours, Welsh Sheepdogs like to bark !!! Approximately 2 - 6 ha with suitable buildings to convert into kennels for our dogs. I have working Welsh Sheepdogs, Pyreneran Mountain Dogs, and a cross of both these breeds called Bugeilgwn Mawr Cymreig, translation : (Big Welsh Shepherd Dogs) 12 dogs in total. In addition my Swedish girlfriend, who is soon to be my wife, has four dogs, two Border Collies and two Welsh Sheepdogs. that's a total of 16 dogs.My girlfriend will be working in Göteborg. and therefore we hope to find a place within 40 minutes drive of her place of work. any advice from Sweden will be appreciated. also if you have a suitable place to sell or know of a property please contact me Takk for det !! smile.gif
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: