The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Moving to USA from Sweden

Tell me what you think

ViktorX
post 19.Feb.2011, 08:59 AM
Post #1

Please take it easy, i know it's posted in wrong section i dont really know where to post it sad.gif

Anyway, I'm born in sweden and i still live there. I've thought about to move to USA. I thought there is people from USA in this forum so i would like to ask you everyone if it's worth it smile.gif I've been a fan of USA since ever. I think it's a lovely place to live at. New orleans , LA or any place.

So, do you think it would be worth moving to USA?

Point is that i dont like sweden anymore, it's small and booring... Tell me what you think. -VJ
Go to the top of the page
+
ViktorX
post 19.Feb.2011, 09:33 AM
Post #2

How about Los Angels? Money isn't a problem for me.

Yes i'm also into ladies smile.gif
+
ViktorX
post 19.Feb.2011, 09:44 AM
Post #3

Well, when i talk to someone to move to USA they just say, so fast u go outside the door someone will shot the head of you.. ?? If its that worse than there would be no people in USA? Please help me i really want to move there but it makes it worse when everyone says than it's hard to survive hole life there.
+
ViktorX
post 19.Feb.2011, 09:58 AM
Post #4

I'm going on vacation to USA a few times first, i dont know about University ? I must live in USA for a awhile to done it than since i must sit in a airplane in 10hours to come to Newyork
+
ViktorX
post 19.Feb.2011, 10:07 AM
Post #5

Easily question, Moving to USA is it worth it? I think i got a much better future there with my Knowledge
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 19.Feb.2011, 10:49 AM
Post #6

Go for it, but be aware that unless you are a student, marry a US citizen, have serious money to invest in a business, or have special skills, it is difficult to get a visa to live in the US.
+
Swedesmith
post 19.Feb.2011, 03:57 PM
Post #7

I have lived in both the US (my homeland) and Sweden. In the 50+ years that I have lived in the US I have never been shot at, mugged, raped, knifed or what-ever. Must be living right. I did have my car burgaled once when I parked in the wrong, dark parking lot, but that can happen anywhere.

That being said, there are places you might well be advised to avoid...just like I would not visit RosengÄrd. Keep your wits about you and you should be fine.

Check out Minneapolis/St. Paul. Lots of Swedes there and it's a pretty city.
+
Marmi
post 19.Feb.2011, 08:34 PM
Post #8

Before answering your question, I would like to know HOW you are planning on moving to the US? You do know that you can't just pack your stuff and hop on a plane, right?

You have to get some kind of visa! And that, let me tell you, is far from the easiest thing to do. You're options are; Green Card Lottery, you having a skill that no one in the US has, and get a work visa, meeting an American girl, and marry her, or lastly, invest $500,000 - $1,000,000 in a business in a rural area that will employ at least 10 people.

All I'm saying is that there seem to be a lot of people who want to move to he US, but they don't seem to have a grasp about the fact that you can just move there in the same way that you can move around in the EU countries.
+
Marmi
post 19.Feb.2011, 08:52 PM
Post #9

That is actually harder to do these days (unless you wade across the Rio Grande, or pass over at any point at the southern border), cause these days you have to fill out the ESTA application before you leave, and in that you're committing to not staying in the US. The ESTA's are monitored, and when you're time is up, it's up, and they will come looking for you.

It's frankly quite ridiculous (and childish) to suggest someone to move to a country illegally.
+
ViktorX
post 19.Feb.2011, 09:56 PM
Post #10

Im not stupid. Im not just gonna rush to USA. It's alot to take care of and 'talk' with america if u get what i mean. No rush for me ^.^
+
soultraveler3
post 20.Feb.2011, 02:54 AM
Post #11

It's like anywhere, there's good and bad places and good and bad things. The comments above are correct also, the US is so big that you get a huge range of ethnic backgrounds and attitude depending on where you go. It's also true that in any decent-sized city (1,000,000+) there's going to be a big mix of races and cultures.

Just from personal experience, people in the NE and east coast in general, tend to be more stressed and are usually either very conservative or very liberal, always on the go and many think that their way to do something is the only way to do something lol. Down south it's more laid back and traditional, there are a lot of poor areas and not as many educated people but they tend to be nice and helpful. Anywhere from the Mississippi River west, is pretty much the same, good mix of people and attitude, little more laid back. The midwest / upper midwest is a bit more traditional, the mountain states have a weird mix of cowboys and hippies and the west coast is more liberal, the NW is really cool but in a nerdy way. Texas is like another country all together, take that however you'd like lol. happy.gif It's not a place I'd choose to live.

The states aren't as bad or scary as a lot of people here believe. I grew up and lived there for 27 years and never had a problem. You just have to be a little smart about where you go at certain times of day, there's places like that in the EU too. We're not all gun-toting nutjobs either, although we tend to be louder / more open about what we're thinking than most swedes I've met. ***That does NOT include drunk swedes lol. tongue.gif It's strange and a little unfortunate that most of the american programs they show here in Sweden are the bad ones, eg. Jerry Springer, Cops etc. The people on those shows are the dregs of society and aren't a true or fair reflection of most americans. There's nothing to be afraid of. smile.gif

I have yet to meet a swede or european who's actually been to the states and still believes all the bad stuff. Most are pleasantly surprised with the people and society. If you add to that the variety of things to do and see, along with the huge variety of things when it comes to shopping and compare that to Sweden, it's not bad at all.

Another thing to consider is employment. There are more job opportunities there and white-collar jobs, in general, earn a lot more in the states than in Sweden. The downside is that it's easier to fire people in the states so you have to be more "on your toes" when at work. Another thing with employment is health insurance, most people get it through their companies, if you have a good company you get great medical care for about the same as swedes pay. However, if you work for a bad company or are unemployed, it can be very expensive. Lastly with employment is vacation, you get 5 weeks paid minimum here. Most people in the states get 1 or 2 weeks to start with and have to build up extra time over the years. My father for example had 8 weeks paid every year but he worked with the same company for 20+ years. I also had 6 weeks paid but that was 2 weeks vacation and 4 weeks in "comp time." Most people don't get that.

The whole health insurance / vacation time thing is what made us (the sambo and I) choose Sweden over the states.

Hope that helps.
+
Opalnera
post 20.Feb.2011, 03:29 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (ViktorX @ 19.Feb.2011, 08:59 AM) *
Please take it easy, i know it's posted in wrong section i dont really know where to post it Anyway, I'm born in sweden and i still live there. I've thought about ... (show full quote)

Australia is pretty good, if money is not a problem go to Sydney the party city, get an apartment at Bondi Beach and learn to surf. If you are Swedish and under 31 when you apply, you can get a working holiday visa which lets you stay for 12 months and you can work for any employer up to 6 months. Also, Sweden has a recipricol health agreement with Australia so you can sign up for Medicare public health. Australia was largely unaffected by the global financial crisis and comes second to Norway in nearly every list for high standard of living and quality of life.

I would pick Sydney over LA, but if I had the opportunity to move to New York I would go in a heartbeat =)
+
Schmoopers
post 20.Feb.2011, 09:13 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Marmi @ 19.Feb.2011, 07:34 PM) *
You have to get some kind of visa! And that, let me tell you, is far from the easiest thing to do. You're options are; Green Card Lottery, you having a skill that no o ... (show full quote)

Attaining a visa will be challenging, as mentioned by Marmi above. However, you don't necessarily have to have a skill that no one in the US has to be able to work here. Most networking/engineering/computer programming jobs within larger companies do provide work visas to those who are residents of other countries. This is, of course, considering that you work in this field. As far as other careers, this I am not familiar with.

Sweden does have a special arrangement with the US where you can enter the US without a visa (Visa Waiver Program). This is only for a limited time, however, and you must receiver permission to stay longer with a proper visa.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/...t_1990.html#vwp

I would suggest taking advantage of this program and make a holiday of it. Go visit a few cities in that you think you may be interested in living in to get an even better vine. As what others have mentioned, you will have a whole variety to choose from.

To get a better idea of what certain cities are like, you may also visit http://www.city-data.com to get an idea of population composition, culture, etc. They also have forums for certain cities (http://www.city-data.com/forums) so you may get an even better feel for the vibes that the locals have.

Good luck!
+
*Tennis22*
post 24.Mar.2016, 07:49 PM
Post #14

Moving to the U.S. is a big decision!

As said above, make sure to enter pursuant to a legal Visa status.

Healthcare and finances are two ares that can also be tough. Make sure to understand the U.S. healchare system and to register for insurance. Paying the doctor bill can get very expensive!

Second, it can be difficult for immigrants to use banks and credit cards in the U.S. Make sure to research this so you take the right steps.

Here's one of the best resources online for learning what the U.S. is like especially for an expat: http://creditbridge.com/2016/03/moving-to-america/
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: