The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4   Reply to this topic

Moving to Sweden with a disability

From within the EU

skogsbo
post 13.May.2019, 06:08 PM
Post #46

Say what,
I'd worked for long enough and in between the odd extravagance saved some cash, made a few investments and we rent out our old house too. That was 2011, they might well be harsher now.

The op.. sometimes people like that could be more suited to lone working, self employed etc. As they don't need to conform to work place culture and timings. Provided though they have the skills or means to afford a flexible lifestyle.

My brothers wife is bi polar and at times he is more live in carer than husband, she's never lived on her own. (I think he was well duped but that's another story).
Go to the top of the page
+
Saywhatwhat
post 13.May.2019, 06:56 PM
Post #47

Aha... I see now. No, I would not admit there is much less litter because there is plenty of litter around the cities and surrounding areas, including green areas. There are snus packets and cigarette butts everywhere, plastic, paper, whatever usual litter... it’s there in Sweden as well.

Maybe it’s even more sad considering cleanliness is another Swedish promotion. Sure in sparsely populated areas there is less litter, like anywhere else, and maybe since you live in a rural area you don’t experience it. But in the forests around the cities I have found plastic, spray cans, car parts, broken bikes, discarded furniture, etc etc.

Don’t know how long you’ve been in Sweden but ask anyone who has been in Gothenburg how “litter free” it was after the weekends. The city was like a garbage dump especially Avenyn. I’m talking early 2000’s maybe later.. there was an initiative to combat the rampant littering. And by no means is Sweden on a path for less litter, nor would I ever describe Sweden as abundantly clean. Again, it’s about the emptiness that they promote as a clean and beautiful landscape.

And no kidding there is more litter in nyc... there are more people in that metropolitan area than there are in all of Sweden... and in a fraction of the space.

Think of it as nostalgia, Gamla, to the good old days of the garbage strikes in, what, the late 60’s early 70’s.

So yeah, Swedish towns and cities are not as clean as the myth would have you believe. The countryside is clean... but what countrysides aren’t?
+
Saywhatwhat
post 13.May.2019, 07:15 PM
Post #48

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 13.May.2019, 07:08 PM) *
Say what,I'd worked for long enough and in between the odd extravagance saved some cash, made a few investments and we rent out our old house too. That was 2011, they migh ... (show full quote)

Yea, I believe there are much greater hurdles to prove financial stability, especially without a job offer/ contract, nowadays.

Sorry about your brother. Seems like you think highly of your sister in law though. Must make for interesting family gatherings. wink.gif

That goes to my point though that someone with a severe enough impairment or mental disability that qualifies them for lifetime disability checks would probably need some consistent care and NOT isolate themselves. Same with a physical disability.

Moving to the Swedish countryside alone as a foreigner with a disability sounds like a horrible idea.

Op, if you’ll grace us with your presence... do you mind saying what disability you have? Maybe you are just a little bummed out now and thinking how great it would be to move. Maybe in a week or two you will love your Belgian life, then in a few weeks later hate it again... and the cycle continues.
+
skogsbo
post 13.May.2019, 08:15 PM
Post #49

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 13.May.2019, 06:15 PM) *
Sorry about your brother. Seems like you think highly of your sister in law though. Must make for interesting family gatherings. wink.gif

She's a nice enough person, she was a 30 something still living at home when she met my brother, when she had an episode she tried to make out it was the first time it had ever happened and didn't know what it was; despite already having a prescription. My brother beloved every word of it of course and the rest is history.
+
Bsmith
post 13.May.2019, 09:52 PM
Post #50

The OP gave me the impression that he/she had on a pair of rose colored glasses on when he/she planned on Sweden. Not that Sweden is a terrible place by any means but it is not for everyone and there are plenty of posters on this forum that will be more than glad to explain Sweden's shortcomings.

Not knowing what the OP's actually disability I can't say for sure but he/she did mention something about depression and with the lack of sunshine in the winter, I would think twice about moving to Sweden with that problem.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 14.May.2019, 07:36 AM
Post #51

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 13.May.2019, 10:52 PM) *
The OP gave me the impression that he/she had on a pair of rose colored glasses on when he/she planned on Sweden. Not that Sweden is a terrible place by any means but it is n ... (show full quote)

Regardless of the darkness, but an important point, one should not isolate themselves if depression is a symptom of their disability that has them on govt checks for life.

Maybe move to the Netherlands, another neighbor, where they have nice countryside and you can grow cannabis and maybe get some help with non pharmaceutical treatment of your disability.

The op is, no offense at all, probably in a depressive episode and thinking that everything would be better if they just got out of where they are now... but op, your depression will follow... and you don’t want to be alone in a cold dark country with unfriendly, odd, reserved people. There are so many people in that country, cities especially, that look like they are on the verge of losing it.

Everyone talks about the darkness being depressing but they get the midnight sun in the summer so it is ok. I think that is bs. There is nothing fun about the sun being up that late. Swedes think it is great because they don’t know any better and anything Swedish to a Swede is the absolute best.

Anyone else feel the same way about the over glorified midnight sun?
+
skogsbo
post 14.May.2019, 01:38 PM
Post #52

Doesn't really matter if it's light or not, folk should be sleeping!
+
Saywhatwhat
post 15.May.2019, 07:57 AM
Post #53

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 14.May.2019, 02:38 PM) *
Doesn't really matter if it's light or not, folk should be sleeping!

Ha! Truth!

Don’t animals get a little messed up from it? Aren’t humans animals?

I personally enjoy a summer night more when it is dark around 21 21:30. And especially when I was younger. Nobody likes coming out of a club or party when it’s light out.
+

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: