The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

Stockholm versus London

*Mogli 12*
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:53 PM
Post #31

Stockholm without a shadow of a doubt.

I can't stand crowds.

I enjoy being stressfree

I enjoy having good quality housing.

I enjoy beautiful/clean surroundings.

I enjoy being free from the headaches of travelling around the city. Whether by car or public transport.

I enjoy having more freetime.

Well that's enough for now...
Go to the top of the page
+
Fredde
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:55 PM
Post #32

Stop it you are making me homesick!
+
Nicholas009
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:58 PM
Post #33

obviously there is no winner in this arguement! we are comparing apples and oranges. i feel everyone respects eachother more in stockholm. everything in sweden works, where as in london, this is not the case. after you go to stockholm and return to london, the woman look deformed, sorry but this is the absolute truth. anyways, as an imparital canadian who has lived in both cities, i think the ideal situation is to live in london from september until january with a swedish girlfriend, then reside in stockhom for the rest of the year.
+
*Gully Gull*
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:58 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (Mogli 12)
Stockholm without a shadow of a doubt.

I can't stand crowds.

I enjoy being stressfree

I enjoy having good quality housing.

I enjoy beautiful/clean surroundings.

I enjoy being free from the headaches of travelling around the city. Whether by car or public transport.

I enjoy having more freetime.

Well that's enough for now...

Mogli 12, you take the words out of my mouth. Those are the reasons I would choose Stockholm.

That said, I think Markbase puts a very good case for London.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 3.Feb.2006, 04:02 PM
Post #35

As one of the troglodytic London ladies, I'd just like to cease cramming crisps into my mouth for long enough to point out that women in London look a lot better than women in the rest of the UK, and British men are nothing to move here for either.

Thanks.
+
Fredde
post 3.Feb.2006, 04:05 PM
Post #36

Gully,

I think if Stockholm fits your bill then you can always go to London for a good time when Stockholm gets on your nerves. Also remember that it is far easier to first settle in London and then move to Stockholm than the other way around as Stockholm/Sweden is a low wage country compared to London. It is a lot harder to build capital to get a place in London from Sweden than the other way around.
+
Fredde
post 3.Feb.2006, 04:08 PM
Post #37

I can testify that VHW is a hottie :wink:
Plenty of fitness in London I might add, sure people look different in Sweden but every people has its own look and feel.
+
Alfredo
post 3.Feb.2006, 04:16 PM
Post #38

Gully Gull

I'm surprised you don't consider architecture important ?

I think it makes all the difference.

I haven't lived in London, but was there as a tourist last year. It felt as if it would be a great place to live, and a lot less dirty, noisy and smelly, than I remember it being 20 years ago ...

I don't really know Stockholm either, and though I really like wondering around Gamla Stan, other parts of Stockholm leave me really cold. It's those ugly buildings again, I think ...

Overall, I think London's more attractive, even for families, because there is more choice ...

Yet again, though, Stockholm, has great potential to get better and better, and I'd love it if they took on board some of best practices from other major European and world cities.

Sweden could quite easily double its population and it would still be stress-free ...
+
*Gully Gull*
post 3.Feb.2006, 04:25 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (Alfredo)
Gully Gull

I'm surprised you don't consider architecture important ?

Well, I do, but not in a "stand alone" sense.

Of course, architecture can almost make a city in some ways, but what I mean is that I could live somewhere rather architectually bereft if it had other life compensations (see Mogli 12 upthread). But I wouldn't want to have to live without those things even in an architectural paradise.
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 3.Feb.2006, 04:28 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (Nicholas009)
i feel everyone respects eachother more in stockholm. everything in sweden works, where as in london, this is not the case. after you go to stockholm and return to london, the woman look deformed, sorry but this is the absolute truth.

"Respect each other"? Dude, you mean they keep themselves to themselves and don't talk to each other.
"Women look deformed?" I don't know where you've been in London, mate, but we haven't been to the same places! I think you're just totally into the "homogenous" Swedish "look". I like a bit of diversity myself.

To each their own, eh fellow Canuck? :wink:

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
etuna
post 3.Feb.2006, 04:48 PM
Post #41

I find Stockholm a bit one dimensional. Thats not supposed to sound quite a critical as it does. Although one finds ones own routine eventually, if you have more choice to begin with it will be a more enjoyable experience.
I am without offspring or any ties of note so don't need to consider those things, if I did I'd look into the Stockholm-quality-of-life aspect but it doesnt swing it for me at the moment.
+
Andrew Robertson
post 4.Feb.2006, 11:41 AM
Post #42

This makes me chuckle. Stockholm is very pretty but so provincial compared to London. There's more life and diversity in one borough of London (there are around 30) than the whole of central Stockholm.

No doubt at all. London is at the top of world class capitals to be rivalled only by Paris/Tokyo and New York. Stockholm is only just emerging as a significant European capital and still rates below the likes of other Euro capitals such as Prague, Amsterdam or Rome.

Sure, Stockholm is beginning to chill out a bit but will never even come close to being 2 leagues below global cities like London.

Women are pretty damn fit though and as someone said...they are easy to game.

Andrew xxx

-II- Yeah baby!
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 4.Feb.2006, 11:51 AM
Post #43

Very well put, Andrew. My views exactly.

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net -
for observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 4.Feb.2006, 11:52 AM
Post #44

Stockholm is too much of a small town for me. Limited shopping variety, poor food variety, limited entertainment variety and quite frankly too one dimensional.

There are plenty of Swedish girls in London and plenty of others from interesting countries biggrin.gif Also there doesn't seem to be many English in London :wink:

Sadly in my industry, most of the jobs are out of London so it is just not a viable option for me. The closest I got to London was working in Basildon and living in Southend-on-sea. So close to London but a world away :shock:
+
Andrew Robertson
post 4.Feb.2006, 11:59 AM
Post #45

QUOTE (Markbase)
Very well put, Andrew. My views exactly.

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net -
for observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg

Cheers man...sorry to have missed you in London recently. If you can give me a bit of notice I'll gladly zoom down and buy you that pint of frothing ale.

Andrew xxx

ps Love the blog...it just gets better and better, Have referred 10 or more people who I know will check it out. Please, please, please do an article report about the finer details of Swedish drinking habits (like the luke wam tap water with red wine, etc). Your writing style rocks...
+

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: