The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Best Credit Cards

Cashback or airmiles

nufcgrouty
post 5.Oct.2011, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Hi All,

We are moving to Sweden in a couple of weeks and I would like to arrange credit cards. Can anyone please advise on the best credit card deals and who are the best credit card companies. I am pretty savvy with UK credit cards but know absolutely nothing about Swedish.

I would like either Airmiles or Cashback with a second card for my wife.

What I am looking for is something similar to the Lloyds TSB Airmiles Duo where you get an Amex and a Mastercard on the same account without any annual fees.

Are there any Swedish online comparison sites like moneysupermarket.com etc?

Many Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 5.Oct.2011, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Credit cards are not very popular in Sweden; most people only have debit cards.

Without a Swedish credit history (which is nothing like the US/UK counterparts) you will most likely not be able to get a credit card no matter your UK credit history.

There are credit cards connected to various companies, e.g ICA, IKEA, SAS, Volvo, etc, as a part of their loyalty programs. Also, banks offer credit cards but rarely have any incentive programs other than travel insurance.
+
fogelfeifer
post 6.Oct.2011, 07:27 AM
Post #3

Just bring your existing credit cards with you...? And change to paperless statements/pay off via online banking etc
+
nufcgrouty
post 6.Oct.2011, 08:37 AM
Post #4

I thought of doing that but I will then need to transfer money back to the UK and exchange to GBP. I use credit card for work expenses and can clock quite a bit each month so I could lose on exchange rates and transfer fees. Unless there is an alternative method that anyone can advise me of?
+
Kibiri
post 6.Oct.2011, 03:32 PM
Post #5

comparison site: compricer.se

Afaik, you cannot get a card without a personnummer. But not having a credit history is not a problem, maybe not the big banks but ICA, Coop, Statoil etc. will give you one. Ica and coop are supermarkets, statoil is gas station. Just pick the one that you go more often, sometime after you move.
+
djmarko
post 6.Oct.2011, 06:01 PM
Post #6

British airways have a credit card in sweden, i use it to get airmiles but then you have to open an executive club card with BA so you can link the credit card to your BA account
+
Abe L
post 6.Oct.2011, 08:26 PM
Post #7

SAS offers 3 types of credit cards (VISA/MasterCard/AMEX) with a fairly decent reward system.

Just make sure you don't get a CC connected to your bank account directly. Swedish banks take forever to investigate and give you your money back in the event of fraud.
+
Essingen55
post 7.Oct.2018, 04:28 PM
Post #8

Well the original thread is 7 years old, so I am not sure anything still applies. Unfortunately, all this sort of thing is gradually disappearing because of EU regulations on the amount of card commission that the banks can charge. For example, I have had free access to airport lounges and SAS Eurobonus points for some 20 years with Diners Club for a fairly modest annual amount. This week I was told that Diners Nordic will close down next year.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: