The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
192 Pages V  « < 56 57 58 59 60 > »    Closed Topic

Sweden's corona response

Is the country making the right choice?

Gamla Hälsingebock
post 7.May.2020, 04:17 PM
Post #856

The guy in Tanzania, may be onto something...

Tigers in a New York zoo were sick from the virus...where did they get it from???

As posted earlier it may be in the animal population also...it came from an animal didn't???

Bats...
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 7.May.2020, 04:48 PM
Post #857

QUOTE (Essingen55 @ 7.May.2020, 03:52 PM) *
However, it is now 100% clear that Sweden's overall approach is not working. It is perhaps unclear which bits aren't working but we are now grouped together with Polan ... (show full quote)

It is declining though.

Plus most other countries in Europe haven't relaxed their lock down to the level sweden has been at for months. They could spike again.

Sweden should close it's borders, seen plenty Danish and even Dutch cars around Sm?land this last week or two. The tourists will spread it, more than the locals who are staying local.
+
mjennin2
post 7.May.2020, 04:49 PM
Post #858

+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 7.May.2020, 06:11 PM
Post #859

I am taking those very same medications and have been tracking studies about them and think they do have some beneficial effects, also those taking blood thinners including aspirin seem to have a head start as blood thinners are one of the first medications prescribed in hospital...

There is a lot to learn...

And yes it is a blood disease of unknown charactistics...

The authorities here told us there is nothing to worry about for a long time...until they realized they were wrong...

So now New York city alone is among/with the top six or so countries with horrible death rates...

And its not over!!!
+
Gimp
post 7.May.2020, 07:02 PM
Post #860

+
Essingen55
post 7.May.2020, 07:04 PM
Post #861

It is declining though.

What is declining? The only thing I can see that might be declining is the number of people in intensive care. The number of deaths doesn't seem to be declining or the number of infections.

Sure they should close their borders. But this is Sweden for you...whatever other countries do, Sweden wants to do something different. If other countries thinks masks are a good idea, Sweden doesn't. If other countries think a app would help, Sweden thinks it would introduce a false sense of security. If other countries think that schools should be closed, Sweden thinks they should be open.

What DOES Sweden think would be a good idea to get the curve going downwards?
+
Rita O.
post 7.May.2020, 07:51 PM
Post #862

Does any of you know this channel?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZrV8awOjIFeVFnKypgbPOg

He's a Swede, a mathematician, and one of the 22 who sent an open letter to the Swedish authorities a few weeks ago.
I find his videos very informative, and so the comments underneath.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 7.May.2020, 08:21 PM
Post #863

The video about the schools was very insightful as it shows the differenc in life between countries...

The Swedes wanted closed schools...

The people in New York wanted/needed them open because here the schools are sort of baby sitters for working parents and also provide meals for the children...

The Mayor kept them open for a long time because of that...

However the outcome was that the virus was spread by children to others and the reasons now...don't matter...

We are learning now that a great amount of cases here incurred in people who stayed in...obviously somebody brought it to them...

Guess who???
+
vasaru
post 8.May.2020, 08:45 AM
Post #864

+
skogsbo
post 8.May.2020, 10:51 AM
Post #865

I don't think an American newspaper is in any position to criticise another country's population after they themselves elected trump.

As an aside, isn't it just national loyalty? Folk elsewhere just want sweden to fail, because it makes their policy decisions look better.
+
Essingen55
post 8.May.2020, 02:09 PM
Post #866

Only another 135 dead today. If there is anyone who supports Sweden's strategy on here please tell me what we are trying to achieve here and when we will have achieved it because it is a mystery to me.
+
vasaru
post 8.May.2020, 02:33 PM
Post #867

QUOTE (Essingen55 @ 8.May.2020, 11:09 PM) *
Only another 135 dead today. If there is anyone who supports Sweden's strategy on here please tell me what we are trying to achieve here and when we will have achieved it ... (show full quote)

sad.gif(((
+
Rita O.
post 8.May.2020, 03:22 PM
Post #868

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 8.May.2020, 11:51 AM) *
I don't think an American newspaper is in any position to criticise another country's population after they themselves elected trump.As an aside, isn't it just nat ... (show full quote)

I believe NO newspaper is entitled to criticize any country's population.
As individuals, we too should care for the people, not for their government, whether or not they are "deserved" because legitimately voted.

This being said, allow me to explain, in part, why non Swedes seem to have such an interest in Sweden since this virus hit Europe.
In the beginning - beginning of March, that is - I spent most of my time contacting all my friends outside Italy, trying as well as I could to warn them, that this wasn't a simple flu, that it could spread very fast, that people were dying in huge numbers here.
A friend in Turkey told me they barely knew about the virus, because at the time the government insisted it was nothing to worry about. I urged her to at least buy a mask and so she did - luckily.
My French friends were sceptical too, even though they were worried about us. Similar reactions I got from Austrian, Swiss, even American friends

I stumbled upon Sweden, because of a Finn, I learned you were not very worried about the virus, that your chief epidemiologist was going to ski very soon, that no quarantine was requested, that you trusted your government and that, in turn, they trusted you.
I was intrigued, but not envious. To me, it sounded reckless and, allow me, even a little irresponsible. A virus is not like bungee jumping, where one takes a risk involving only oneself. A virus is transmitted per definition, so the risk I take will put others at risk too.

You think we want you to fail, and I fear in some cases it's true. Which is horrible.
But let me tell you, I've also read many Swedes insist we are all going to die from a second wave. That isn't very generous either. Nor is your old chief epidemiologist who boasts Sweden is right and the rest of the world is wrong.

I'm afraid both unwanted critics as well as uncalled for praises will keep on coming at you, until this problem is globally solved. Because unless one wants to stay shut inside one's borders, sooner or later we must all come out and start travelling again.
+
Gimp
post 8.May.2020, 03:36 PM
Post #869

+
vasaru
post 8.May.2020, 04:59 PM
Post #870

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 8.May.2020, 07:51 PM) *
I don't think an American newspaper is in any position to criticise another country's population after they themselves elected trump.As an aside, isn't it just nat ... (show full quote)

The author is a Swede. And the paper is hardly pro-Trump. It didn't endorse him in the last election and it won't in the coming election. It's very critical of him, thankfully.

Of course the Washington Post can criticise the people of another country. To take your idea to the limit, before and during the Second World War, British people and their government had no right to criticise Nazi Germany owing to the gross violations of human rights that were commonplace throughout the British Empire. Think of the systematic starving of over 1 million in Bengal by misappropriating their resources and using them to feed Britain. Nevertheless, it was right to criticise (and to fight) Nazi Germany then.

It's vital that we have more internal and external criticism of governments and people the world over in order to ensure greater transparency and accountability.

One of the criticisms Gustavsson makes is that many Swedes believe that their country is beyond reproach. You've just validated that criticism.
+

192 Pages V  « < 56 57 58 59 60 > » 
Closed Topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: