The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Should the US bring ALL the troops home?

*marshman*
post 25.Feb.2006, 08:14 PM
Post #31

From Time 100.

From the outset of his premiership, Churchill, half American by birth, had rested his hope of ultimate victory in U.S. intervention. He had established a personal relationship with President Roosevelt that he hoped would flower into a war-winning alliance. Roosevelt's reluctance to commit the U.S. beyond an association "short of war" did not dent his optimism. He always hoped events would work his way. The decision by Japan, Hitler's ally, to attack the American Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, justified his hopes. That evening he confided to himself, "So we had won after all."

America's entry into the Second World War marked the high point of Churchill's statesmanship. Britain, demographically, industrially and financially, had entered the war weaker than either of its eventual allies, the Soviet Union and the U.S. Defeats in 1940 had weakened it further, as had the liquidation of its international investments to fund its early war efforts. During 1942, the prestige Britain had won as Hitler's only enemy allowed Churchill to sustain parity of leadership in the anti-Nazi alliance with Roosevelt and Stalin.
Go to the top of the page
+
Dock Hussein Ellis
post 25.Feb.2006, 09:27 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (marshman)
Dock Ellis

Churchill was half American by birth,this is a fact.

Yes, but he was not a US citizen until President Kennedy named him the first Honorary Citizen Of The United States in 1963.

That lengthy quote from Time merely states that Churchill hoped the US would intervene on the allied side- it was the Japanese who actually made it happen (much to their everlasting chagrin).

QUOTE (marshman)
When war was declared between the Us and Japan,Churhill declared war on Japan as ally to the US

Well, not really- the Japanese attacked Hong Kong 8 hours after Pearl Harbor.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 25.Feb.2006, 09:58 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Aaron_in_berlin)
Proud2busmarine I will give you a straight answer to this. One of Rumsfeld's proposals was to move troops into Eastern Europe from Germany. And almost all the Germans went into a tizzy becasue if they closed bases here in Germany then all those Germans who work on the base would loose their jobs and the local economies would collapse. So maybe 1% of Germans want the Yanks to leave and everyone else wants them to stay.

Yeah, but Eastern Europe would love to get those bases. U.S. military bases are mad business for the surrounding community both domestically and in foreign countries. Besides just the people employed by the base, the soldiers purchase at local stores, eat and drink at local establishments, and generally pour their disposable income into the surrounding area.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 25.Feb.2006, 10:18 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (marshman)
The Americans have never helped anyone without theres something in it for them.

Give me a break. When was the last time you did something completely pure and unselfish and derived no benefit whatsoever, including being able to say "I did a good thing"?

Congressional Budget foreign operations justifications by region (the interesting part is that the beginning of each bit details what our interests are in those places):

Africa
East Asia & Pacific
Europe
Near East
South Asia
Western Hemisphere

Don't worry, I have no expectation you will actually read all that as it's dark where your head is, and I don't expect you thought to bring a flashlight when you lodged it there.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 25.Feb.2006, 10:40 PM
Post #35

QUOTE (Aaron_in_berlin)
no roy becasue germany is the best basis of the u.s. military for activities in the middle east and in eurasia.

Until Iraq is stable and we've a large military base there. But it will still take years to build up an infrastructure like what is in Germany.

<hijack>
My all time favorite hostname is evil.ramstein.af.mil, followed by Gunter's superhero naming convention. Seeing them in my logs always makes me giggle.
</hijack>
+
Rinkydink
post 26.Feb.2006, 12:13 PM
Post #36

And why did US invade Iraq?

Answers on the back of a stamp please
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 26.Feb.2006, 03:42 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (Tippytoppy)
And why did US invade Iraq?

WMD. Duh. Haven't you been following? [img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/878.gif[/img]
+
*Kodos*
post 27.Feb.2006, 03:38 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (Melanie)
WMD. Duh. Haven't you been following? [img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/878.gif[/img]

Cute, Melanie.

I thought we got lost on our way to Albuquerque. tongue.gif
+
Mike
post 27.Feb.2006, 05:15 PM
Post #39

There are over 70,000 American troops stationed in Germany alone. Germany would be pretty upset if 70,000 consumers got up and left in one day. The German officials get pretty nervous when we talk about leaving.
+
*Kodos*
post 27.Feb.2006, 05:18 PM
Post #40

Excellent point, Mike.
+
Mike
post 27.Feb.2006, 05:23 PM
Post #41

It's interesting that the US can use leaving as a threat. Ususally it's the other way around; a country threatens to invade.
+
Benzed
post 27.Feb.2006, 05:40 PM
Post #42

Yes.
+
Fredde
post 27.Feb.2006, 06:49 PM
Post #43

I think it is time that the US exit Europe. This is not because I do not like their presence in Europe but because I do think it is time that Europe as a whole up their game a bit on the military front.

The US has been a longstanding friend and ally to Sweden (even though we are supposedly neutral). Remember there are more people of Swedish descent in the US than in Sweden. Circa 16 million people in the US has Swedish lineage. I have distant family somewhere over there.

I hope that the US and Europe will be longstanding friends for many hundred years more. This may or may not be a given due to demographic changes in the US and the rebound of the old Asian powers. (India and China were the biggest producers of goods and services before the industrial revolution thus Europe and the Wests dominance is an historical anomality).

Overall EU and the US shares common values and thus I for one think they have worked as a stabilising force during the post war period. A lot of bad stuff has been done in the name of freedom but what empire/superpower has clean hands? I would consider Britain to be much much worse in its conduct in the world.

Sweden has fought 5 major wars throughout history with Russia. We won 4 and lost the latest. We have maintained a deterrent throughout the postwar period making the Soviets consider Sweden not worth the cost of invasion. Currently we are dismantling our defence forces due to stupid lefties and this needs to stop.

Hopefully an exit by the US from Europe will make them reconsider and rearm Sweden proper again.
+
Mike
post 27.Feb.2006, 08:49 PM
Post #44

Excellent post, Fredde.
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 27.Feb.2006, 10:32 PM
Post #45

I think it's about time the US left America and all went back to where they came from, bloody foreigners.

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net -
for observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: